Front parking sensor annoyance - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-17, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Front parking sensor annoyance

The parking sensor has an on/off button near the gear lever. Ok. The car system can't know whether I'm creep driving behind a moving vehicle or trying to park as close to an obstacle as possible, so it needs to manually switched on and off with a button, not just a setting.

It has visual monitoring with yellow and red sectors on the dashboard, and it either beep ... beep, beep-beep-beep or a long beeeep! That's also a-ok, but it's quite intense.

So, after parking I usually forget to turn it off. When coming back to the car I naturally want to reverse, and put the gear into R. Then the front parking sensor starts to beeeeep! along with, and louder than, other more relevant warnings, like the one crossing traffic behind the car, or the parking brake, a door not closed, seat belts and so on.

I must have missed something. Why is the front parking assistant active, even with sound signals, when reversing?

Plugin model, "tech" package.

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.

Last edited by knutsp; 20-09-17 at 11:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-17, 11:12 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
I suspect it's because the car can't know whether your manoeuvre is only restricted to reversing, or whether you might go forward as part of another phase.
It's a 360 degree parking assistant but it's not AI...
The parking sensor activates not because of the mode it was left in, but because you put the car in reverse, which tells me it's a considered decision by Hyundai.

The irritating thing for me (in a RHD car) is that when putting the car in Drive the sensor status is hidden by the gearlever. I put it down to us Brits driving on the `wrong` side of the road, but is the sensor switch still on the left rear of the gearlever as viewed from the rear seats in the LHD version?

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-17, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
I suspect it's because the car can't know whether your manoeuvre is only restricted to reversing, or whether you might go forward as part of another phase.
So all sensors combined are either on or off?

Quote:
It's a 360 degree parking assistant but it's not AI...
Thinking about it ... there are sideways (left/right) sensors in the front, partly sideways also on the rear, and I might be turning hard left or right, even when reversing, having the possibility of hitting the car in the adjacent spot. Makes sense.

Quote:
The parking sensor activates not because of the mode it was left in, but because you put the car in reverse, which tells me it's a considered decision by Hyundai.
That's right. Forgot what the dealer told me about this. Reverse enables the parking sensor in all directions. The button is needed to turn it on even without going to reverse first.

Quote:
The irritating thing for me (in a RHD car) is that when putting the car in Drive the sensor status is hidden by the gearlever. I put it down to us Brits driving on the `wrong` side of the road, but is the sensor switch still on the left rear of the gearlever as viewed from the rear seats in the LHD version?
The button, with an indicator light, is located away from the driver, behind the gear lever, that is to the right, on my LHD version. So I can't easily see if it's already on or not, when just taking a look. I have to move my head a bit to see it.

Thanks. I feel better about it already.
ajiom likes this.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-17, 11:59 AM

Garage
Thumbs down

Being a forum member for 6 months now I see the same discussions and questions coming back over and over again. Around this topic ( front parking sensors) we already made lots of comments earlier. I find the switch-on of front parking sensors when you shift in reverse drive and the annoying beeps from the front side a completely missed target. Made a habit to swith them off and use the reverse camera instead. Its the same anomaly as switching your back parking sensors on when you shift in forward drive. Overdone functionality becoming a useless gimmick. Besides that the sensor switch is set on the wrong right side of the gear lever ( for EU models), while the space for it on the left side is there.

Front parking sensors should switch on automatically when you advance objects ( from 10 m away) with speeds lower than 5km/h. The front radar could be used for that. Now the stupid things starts yelling when I leave a parking place in reverse and the chance of hitting something on the front side is really nil.

2013-2017 Honda Insight Hybrid
2017- Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium SE

Last edited by Rene Scheffers; 20-09-17 at 12:02 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-17, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Scheffers View Post
Now the stupid things starts yelling when I leave a parking place in reverse and the chance of hitting something on the front side is really nil.
Exactly my frustration, too. It could probably be better automated, as you say. But I see that the left/right sensors on the front should be active when you steer left or right while reversing. I'm always afraid of missing to check my front corners when reversing out of a narrow spot.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-17, 12:54 PM

Garage
My Canadian model doesn't seem to have front parking sensors at all, just rear ones, but also no button to switch them off. Constantly screams at me as I reverse into my garage at night. I've come to ignore it now.

Paul W | 2017 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Ltd 6-speed dual clutch automatic

Previous:
2013 Desert Bronze Hyundai Elantra GL 6-spd auto (13-17)
2010 Indigo Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L GL 6-spd manual (10-13)
2008 Black Hyundai Accent GL 5-spd manual (08-10)
2001 White Kia Rio 5-spd manual (05-08)
1996 Royal Blue (purple) Hyundai Accent GLS 4-spd auto (01-05)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-09-17, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutsp View Post
Exactly my frustration, too. It could probably be better automated, as you say. But I see that the left/right sensors on the front should be active when you steer left or right while reversing. I'm always afraid of missing to check my front corners when reversing out of a narrow spot.
Exactly, Id like to try telling that to the ignorant scrote that sideswiped the rear quarter of my car when they reversed out the parking spot next to me... then drove off !

When you're `head down` looking at the camera to the rear it's actually quite easy to forego spatial awareness of the front - especially when the offside front corners are not easily visible.

As you said, its switch-offable lest it offends thee. Rear not so. Curious choice when there is button capacity for it as an option.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-09-17, 06:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
(...)
Nope, it's on the right side so it can be obscured by the gear lever, too

EDIT: I'm happy that the parking sensors beep at me when I start the car. Makes me aware that the obstacle is near and I double-check I'm in R, not D if wanting to drive in R.
I've accidentally put a D a few times instead of R, because of my thoughts being far from what I'm doing. Luckily, I always leave enough space in front / in the rear to account for that, but I find it useful that I get called back to reality before I start reversing.
LordEntropy likes this.

2016 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
2013 Honda NC700S

Last edited by LocoMk700; 21-09-17 at 06:35 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-09-17, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoMk700 View Post
Nope, it's on the right side so it can be obscured by the gear lever, too

EDIT: I'm happy that the parking sensors beep at me when I start the car. Makes me aware that the obstacle is near and I double-check I'm in R, not D if wanting to drive in R.
I've accidentally put a D a few times instead of R, because of my thoughts being far from what I'm doing. Luckily, I always leave enough space in front / in the rear to account for that, but I find it useful that I get called back to reality before I start reversing.
Me too.
LordEntropy and LocoMk700 like this.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-09-17, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds093 View Post
My Canadian model doesn't seem to have front parking sensors at all, just rear ones, but also no button to switch them off. Constantly screams at me as I reverse into my garage at night. I've come to ignore it now.

This is also true of the US model. Not having a garage, I do not have the same issue as you do, however. But it still beeps sooner than it needs to, IMO.

Mad Scientist & Ironic Archer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page