sports mode - Hyundai Ioniq Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-19, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
sports mode

Yesterday I've tried driving in sports mode a bit. Simply to get to know the car better. I find it interesting. There's not lot more power and the car is not much quicker, I think, but you can definitely feel that it's a bit livelier then regular driving. I think i know now what to expect if I ever need to get out of a situation quickly, and what I can and can't expect from the car.

It's not much different, but it is a noticeable difference in reaction. I recommend doing this once in a while to be more aware of the cars abilities.

My wife took a photo of the dash for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190609-WA0012_1560148019752.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	29602  

Ioniq Hybrid Style - see it in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-19, 02:42 PM

Mine is the full Electric model and I gave it a burst in sport mode yesterday.
When you put your foot down, the needle whacks straight round to 100 and the car takes off.
Wee bit more tyre noise but not much else 🤣🤣

2018 Ionic Electric Premium SE.
Petrol is dear, electric is cheap, solar power is really cheap!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-19, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDilly View Post
When you put your foot down, the needle whacks straight round to 100 and the car takes off.
Sadly, the HEV doesn't have the torque of the EV, so it isn't quite so sprightly anyway, but the HEV's sport mode is still quite rewarding for a little pokey family saloon car!

It does accelerate rather more rapidly than in normal mode, even if it's only by remapping gear changes and the throttle to be more responsive at the top-end of the pedal travel, but just as important is the much tighter and more engaged feel of the steering. I've seen a few reviews of the Ioniq where the reviewer was anything from surprised to almost startled by the change of feel of the car as a whole.

In my Prius, switching to power mode also gave a rather more rapid acceleration, though not with quite the same sense of urgency the Ioniq provides. Gear changing vs the CVT might have a lot to do with that, possibly.

2019 Ioniq SEL HEV
Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-19, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDilly View Post
Sadly, the HEV doesn't have the torque of the EV, so it isn't quite so sprightly anyway, but the HEV's sport mode is still quite rewarding for a little pokey family saloon car!

It does accelerate rather more rapidly than in normal mode, even if it's only by remapping gear changes and the throttle to be more responsive at the top-end of the pedal travel, but just as important is the much tighter and more engaged feel of the steering. I've seen a few reviews of the Ioniq where the reviewer was anything from surprised to almost startled by the change of feel of the car as a whole.

In my Prius, switching to power mode also gave a rather more rapid acceleration, though not with quite the same sense of urgency the Ioniq provides. Gear changing vs the CVT might have a lot to do with that, possibly.
Now that you mention it, I think you're actually right about the steering&! I'll have to go again to check 🙂

Ioniq Hybrid Style - see it in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-19, 06:54 PM

Sports mode is mostly about remapping the accelerator pedal position to power output and engaging the ICE to charge the battery to the limit, so that the extra torque of the electric motor is always available. It also changes the characteristics of power steering, giving it a “tighter” feel. It makes the car a more fun to drive feel at the cost of fuel efficiency. Cool feature, but a bit of a gimmick. If you “floor it” in ECO mode you will get the same acceleration, unless the SOC is too low to give the electric boost.

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-19, 03:53 AM

Garage
Are you sure about the power steering in sport mode? I always drive my BEV in sport mode, but I feel it is hard to keep the car going straight on the motorway. I have to do minute corrections on the steering wheel, much more so than other cars I have driven. Maybe I'll try the normal mode for a while, although I don't really like the throttle response on that mode.

Ioniq EV Comfort, Intense Blue
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-19, 08:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
Are you sure about the power steering in sport mode? I always drive my BEV in sport mode, but I feel it is hard to keep the car going straight on the motorway. I have to do minute corrections on the steering wheel, much more so than other cars I have driven. Maybe I'll try the normal mode for a while, although I don't really like the throttle response on that mode.
That's sort of the point of Power Steering, to make it more responsive, particularly at low speeds. Power steering at high speed does mean your car will react more to the slightest changes and does require more correction. Where power steering is most helpful is at lower speeds for better manoeuvring, and that's where the steering difference in Sport mode is most noticeable: it's tighter as in more responsive and corners better at greater acceleration. Most modern cars do have power steering and the upper trims of the Ioniq have power steering in eco as well as sport mode; it just gets a boost when in sport mode. Power steering is also often speed sensitive to provide better steering assistance at lower speeds and less and higher speeds.

In January I drove the Blue trim of the Ioniq (lowest trim in Canada) for a few days, which clearly lacked Power Steering, as the car, at slow speeds, was very heavy and sluggish around corners, compared to my Limited trim; requiring more strength to turn the wheel than I was used to.

Paul W | 2017 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Ltd 6-speed dual clutch automatic

Previous:
2013 Desert Bronze Hyundai Elantra GL 6-spd auto (13-17)
2010 Indigo Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L GL 6-spd manual (10-13)
2008 Black Hyundai Accent GL 5-spd manual (08-10)
2001 White Kia Rio 5-spd manual (05-08)
1996 Royal Blue (purple) Hyundai Accent GLS 4-spd auto (01-05)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-19, 11:43 AM

Garage
Euhm, I don't think there's any car on the (Dutch) market without power steering of some form. Even the base model Hyundai i10 has it.

I do think the Ioniq doesn't have speed sensitive power steering, and that's why it won't go straight with ease at high speeds

Ioniq EV Comfort, Intense Blue
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-19, 07:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
I do think the Ioniq doesn't have speed sensitive power steering, and that's why it won't go straight with ease at high speeds
Perhaps not in Sport Mode, but I do think it does in Eco Mode. As you have said you always drive on on motorways in Sport Mode for better throttle response. Try it in eco mode and see if that does make a difference.

As a side note, I'm not sure what, if any, difference this might make, but it seems to me that the BEV would be back heavy due to the larger battery in the boot and the lack of an internal combustion engine, while the HEV would be front heavy due to a much smaller battery underneath the rear bench and the ICE under the bonnet.

Paul W | 2017 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Ltd 6-speed dual clutch automatic

Previous:
2013 Desert Bronze Hyundai Elantra GL 6-spd auto (13-17)
2010 Indigo Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L GL 6-spd manual (10-13)
2008 Black Hyundai Accent GL 5-spd manual (08-10)
2001 White Kia Rio 5-spd manual (05-08)
1996 Royal Blue (purple) Hyundai Accent GLS 4-spd auto (01-05)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-19, 11:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds093 View Post
Perhaps not in Sport Mode, but I do think it does in Eco Mode. As you have said you always drive on on motorways in Sport Mode for better throttle response. Try it in eco mode and see if that does make a difference.
I was on my local interstate yesterday evening, and my HEV (in eco mode) didn't wander at all. at 65-70mph it stuck on line quite well, and needed very little steering input. Certainly it was no worse than previous cars I've owned and driven.

I don't drive it much in sport mode, and haven't at all on the interstate.

2019 Ioniq SEL HEV
Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page