Dead - flat 12V battery - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 23-05-19, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Dead - flat 12V battery

Today, when I was about to unlock the car and drive home from work, the car was dead, not just the key.

Called Hyundai Emergency Service the number found on the window sticker. 45 minutes. No, it became 90 minutes. Nice weather luckily.

The car was connected for charging.

1. Can't unlock to get in, by key or door handle buttons.
2. Can't release the charging cable.
3. Can't open trunk to let rescue/service guy reach the 12V battery, wich was of course under suspicion for malfunctioning.

Now what?

1. Revealed the cap over the manual key hole in door handle
2. Used the mechanical key - voila
3. Got in and got the driver side (left) rear door open
4. Folded the rear seatback. The left rear seatback was too narrow for to get into the trunk
5. Opened the opposite rear door
6. Folded the right seatback
7. Loosened the trunk cover (a bit tricky from that angle)
8. Crawled in and removed the mechanical key again (had no other tools)
9. Got it in the lid and sled it sideways until I could feel some resistance - click!
10. Out, to trunk. Only half unlocked. ****. Tried twice more, no luck.
11. Found someone with a screwdriver. One click more - open
12. Opened the battery cover - all set to charge

Rest and wait for rescue. He came and started charging.

- Now, start the car
- Ok, it came on fine now
- Is the engine running?
- No, it won't - can't help it (tried turning on heat, and it was showing HEV already) - but that doesn't matter - there is no generator for the 12V - the main battery takes care of charging the 12 V have I learned
- So let it be on for a while. In the meantime, we will remove your charging cable ...
- Can't yet. Have to unlock the car.
- It's not locked!
- Yet, have to lock it first, then unlock. But it won't lock. It's on.
- Turn it off then

1. Turned car off, got it locked with button.
2. Unlocked
3. Removed cable
4. Started car again

Two minutes more and we agreed it was safe to go.

- But let me measure the voltage first
- Ok, it says?
- 13.4 volts
- That ok?
- Nope. Would rather have seen 14.5 V or close.
- Hmmm
- Get it checked at dealer garage

Drove home fine, just got home.

Do I have to fear it won't start tomorrow morning?

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 23-05-19, 01:18 PM

It always did bother me that cars with an electric boot catch and no external way of release could be a nightmare.
Our last four cars have all had them. The worst was Peugeot 807. Great useful cavernous car which held two dog cages side by side with ease. But if the lock failed it would have been a nightmare to get the dogs and cages out to even reach the point you managed.

It would further concern any disabled person who has to crawl into the boot.

And of course, just getting to use the manual key can be a struggle.

I’m grateful that on the Electric version, the traction battery charges the 12v battery automatically, day or night, when needed.

2018 Ionic Electric Premium SE.
Petrol is dear, electric is cheap, solar power is really cheap!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 03:28 AM

Garage
So did the car start alright this morning? It will be interesting to see what they find at the dealer's garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDilly View Post
I’m grateful that on the Electric version, the traction battery charges the 12v battery automatically, day or night, when needed.
It does that on the plug-in hybrid as well, but apparently that didn't help in this case.

2018 Platinum Silver Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in PremiumEco

Last edited by andersmo; 24-05-19 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 05:04 AM

Garage
Apparently, some users of this forum have found this device helpful:

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/e...for-bil-p44950

I bought one and keep it in my car always. Not only may it one day help me out in a tricky situation, it will also enable me to help other road users. The built-in flashlight and mobile phone charger are an added bonus.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmo View Post
It does that on the plug-in hybrid as well, but apparently that didn't help in this case.
It does it automatically on the PHEV? I thought you had to push that button on the dash.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 09:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
It does it automatically on the PHEV? I thought you had to push that button on the dash.
The button on the dash is only for cars where the 12V battery is an integral part of the traction battery. In such case, there's no lead-acid battery at all. That would be the HEV, not the PHEV or BEV, unless the latest model year has been changed?

And the button doesn't charge the 12V battery per se, only reconnects it in cases where it has been automatically disconnected to protect the battery.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 09:48 AM

Quote:
The button on the dash is only for cars where the 12V battery is an integral part of the traction battery. In such case, there's no lead-acid battery at all. That would be the HEV, not the PHEV or BEV, unless the latest model year has been changed?

And the button doesn't charge the 12V battery per se, only reconnects it in cases where it has been automatically disconnected to protect the battery.

You are completely correct!
SEvans likes this.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 01:22 PM

Quote:

I believe the 2019 PHEV has the same battery system as you are describing, but as I understand it, it's not an "integral" part of the traction battery, it is simply a separate 12V lithium-ion battery that is located adjacent to the cargo floor.

However, my apologies as I did misunderstand the function of the 12V reset button on the dash.

In regard to some of the comments earlier about reaching the 12V battery for a jump, I was just looking at the manual which says "Your vehicle has a battery in the luggage compartment, but when you jump start your vehicle, use the jumper terminal in the engine compartment."
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
I believe the 2019 PHEV has the same battery system as you are describing, but as I understand it, it's not an "integral" part of the traction battery, it is simply a separate 12V lithium-ion battery that is located adjacent to the cargo floor.
That is also correct. The use of the word integral is ambiguous as they are indeed separate components, but they are integrated in that the 12 volt battery requires the traction battery to charge.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
So did the car start alright this morning?
Yes, luckily.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what they find at the dealer's garage.
Will have to wait a bit, if no more trouble of the kind.

Quote:
Really? I had the impression it only charged while turned on. Why then the battery warning we all know when media is on without the whole system being on?

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.

Last edited by knutsp; 24-05-19 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in