LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-11-17, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cold start and drive

1. Brrr, -2 C, high moisture air, and it feels freezing, but unlock my Ioniq
2. Open door and enter the seat, very cold
3. Start - soon, all systems go
4. Press steering wheel heater button, and just feels it starts warming up
5. Press seat heater button, now at maximum (three bars), warms my cold butt very soon
6. Press rear defroster button, waiting, as this takes a while
7. Press front defroster button, and this takes even longer
8. Adjusts air temperature up to "Hi".
9. Turn on wipers and fasten seat belts! Ready to drive!
10. Put in R and reverse a few metres, to turn. Turn wipers back to auto.
11. Put in Drive and drives out slowly in EV mode, out on the street/road, as my steering wheel is now warm and friendly
12. Drive 1 km, and now I turn the front defroster off. All clear, quite faster than expected.
13. Drive 2 km more, now turn seat heat to two bars. I'm quite warm already.
14. Drive 3 km more, now turn off rear defroster, as both rear windows and mirrors are perfectly clear.
15. Drive 4 km more, now turn off steering wheel heater, as my fingers are very comfortable
16. Drive 5 km more, now turn seat heater down to one bar
17. Drive 6 km more, now turn air temperature down to 19 C, as perfect for long drives, and air is temp is now ok
18. Drive 7 km more, and now is time to turn off the seat heater
19. Just drive trough the winter landscape in a very, very comfortable car

So far, this winter, love this car!
bluecar1, Jan Treur, BDG and 2 others like this.

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.

Last edited by knutsp; 14-11-17 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-11-17, 03:34 AM

Thanks for sharing that, sounds great, do you have data for this particular trip? Eg. total mileage, time taken, fuel consumption - mpg, range reduction compared with actual miles etc?

August 17 Silver PHEV Premium SE

MPG = 126.13 L/100km 2.24 *Hybrid Equivalent MPG = 83.6 L/100km 3.38

*Hybrid Equivalent, costing the electricity, converting it to petrol and adding it in.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-11-17, 04:04 AM

Thanks for sharing, this will be the first car I've had heated seats! I am hoping it will make a big difference for the wife cause she is always freezing lol. Car seems to heat up quick enough which is good so I am sure she will be in for a more comfortable cold morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-11-17, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

I've always treated heated seats and steering wheels as a bit of a gimmick but , on the cold mornings , I'm converted .
SEvans likes this.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-11-17, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
not a fan of heated seats, BUT the heated steering wheel after you have de-iced the car is great for warming those frozen fingers

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-11-17, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
not a fan of heated seats, BUT the heated steering wheel after you have de-iced the car is great for warming those frozen fingers
Is that supposed to be a pun?

Sorry, it is way too early in the morning, and I have had only 3 coffees so far.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-11-17, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by testguy View Post
Is that supposed to be a pun?

Sorry, it is way too early in the morning, and I have had only 3 coffees so far.
3 ? It must be before dawn

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-11-17, 08:27 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunga68 View Post
I've always treated heated seats and steering wheels as a bit of a gimmick but , on the cold mornings , I'm converted .
I shouldn't be, as a motorcyclist who's used heated clothing for decades. If you warm up the body core, then the extremities get warm as the blood flow to the fingers and toes is not restricted to maintain the core temperature.

I just had never considered it as part of car use, as I've always just put the heater on. But I'm also converted !

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-11-17, 09:51 AM

I wish the heated steering wheel was an option in the US market. I'm not sure why they omitted it here.
So far though, I like this car in the winter. No real snow experience yet. I just mounted the winter tires yesterday. The fuel economy definitely suffers since it appears to try to keep the ICE warm in order to keep the cabin warm. If I didn't have a chronically cold passenger all the time, I'd only use the heater to clear the windows and just bundle up and use the seat heater for myself.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-03-19, 09:19 AM

Knut, and others with PHEV Ioniqs in cold climates: I am very curious about your long-term experiences with your vehicles in cold climates. Have you continued to be happy with them over the long haul? (It is time to replace my 2003 MT Honda Civic Hybrid, though I love the car, and am considering an Ioniq PHEV.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page