Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Cold start and drive

12K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  ds093 
#1 · (Edited)
1. Brrr, -2 °C, high moisture air, and it feels freezing, but unlock my Ioniq
2. Open door and enter the seat, very cold
3. Start - soon, all systems go
4. Press steering wheel heater button, and just feels it starts warming up
5. Press seat heater button, now at maximum (three bars), warms my cold butt very soon
6. Press rear defroster button, waiting, as this takes a while
7. Press front defroster button, and this takes even longer
8. Adjusts air temperature up to "Hi".
9. Turn on wipers and fasten seat belts! Ready to drive!
10. Put in R and reverse a few metres, to turn. Turn wipers back to auto.
11. Put in Drive and drives out slowly in EV mode, out on the street/road, as my steering wheel is now warm and friendly
12. Drive 1 km, and now I turn the front defroster off. All clear, quite faster than expected.
13. Drive 2 km more, now turn seat heat to two bars. I'm quite warm already.
14. Drive 3 km more, now turn off rear defroster, as both rear windows and mirrors are perfectly clear.
15. Drive 4 km more, now turn off steering wheel heater, as my fingers are very comfortable
16. Drive 5 km more, now turn seat heater down to one bar
17. Drive 6 km more, now turn air temperature down to 19 °C, as perfect for long drives, and air is temp is now ok
18. Drive 7 km more, and now is time to turn off the seat heater
19. Just drive trough the winter landscape in a very, very comfortable car

So far, this winter, love this car!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing that, sounds great, do you have data for this particular trip? Eg. total mileage, time taken, fuel consumption - mpg, range reduction compared with actual miles etc?

#3 ·
Thanks for sharing, this will be the first car I've had heated seats! I am hoping it will make a big difference for the wife cause she is always freezing lol. Car seems to heat up quick enough which is good so I am sure she will be in for a more comfortable cold morning.

#8 ·
I shouldn't be, as a motorcyclist who's used heated clothing for decades. If you warm up the body core, then the extremities get warm as the blood flow to the fingers and toes is not restricted to maintain the core temperature.

I just had never considered it as part of car use, as I've always just put the heater on. But I'm also converted !

Reactions: bluioniq
#9 ·
I wish the heated steering wheel was an option in the US market. I'm not sure why they omitted it here.
So far though, I like this car in the winter. No real snow experience yet. I just mounted the winter tires yesterday. The fuel economy definitely suffers since it appears to try to keep the ICE warm in order to keep the cabin warm. If I didn't have a chronically cold passenger all the time, I'd only use the heater to clear the windows and just bundle up and use the seat heater for myself.

#10 ·
Knut, and others with PHEV Ioniqs in cold climates: I am very curious about your long-term experiences with your vehicles in cold climates. Have you continued to be happy with them over the long haul? (It is time to replace my 2003 MT Honda Civic Hybrid, though I love the car, and am considering an Ioniq PHEV.)

#11 ·
I've had my phev Ioniq through one winter so far and the short answer is - yes, I am very happy with it.

I have heated seats but no heated steering wheel. I think a heated steering wheel would be great but it is not offered here in the US. The heated seats are good. I find the low setting to be sufficiently warm.

The rear defogger strips are fine. The front windshield defrost sometimes seems a little slow, maybe because in EV mode the engine just idles to generate warmth?

After reading some info on lithium ion battery technology, I made a choice not to recharge the phev battery when the temperature is below freezing. Since I don't have a garage this means I drove a couple months in the winter mainly in HEV mode. No problems with that, but the fuel efficiency obviously drops in the winter. The coldest temp we had this winter was about -10 deg F. At those kinds of temperatures the car limits you to HEV mode.

My previous car was a Honda Civic also, 2002, very reliable. So far I am very happy with the Ioniq. I love the advanced phev technology, efficiency, value, design, and electric driving. Ask me again in 15 years for a long term opinion.

#12 ·
Thanks very much for the feedback, Jonboy! Where I am (Minneapolis), not charging in sub-freezing temps would knock out several months, even with a garage...I'll have to read up more on that. I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a thoughtful reply...and I respect your choice of vehicles!

#17 ·
That makes sense. If you've been driving the car and using the battery then the battery will be warm. Its the temperature of the battery during charging that matters. So beginning the recharge soon after driving sounds like a nice trick for cold climates. I have spent the summer building a garage. Its not heated yet, but eventually that is the plan. So I am looking forward to much more EV driving this winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.