Cold start and drive - Page 2 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-03-19, 09:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Blast View Post
Knut, and others with PHEV Ioniqs in cold climates: I am very curious about your long-term experiences with your vehicles in cold climates. Have you continued to be happy with them over the long haul? (It is time to replace my 2003 MT Honda Civic Hybrid, though I love the car, and am considering an Ioniq PHEV.)
I've had my phev Ioniq through one winter so far and the short answer is - yes, I am very happy with it.

I have heated seats but no heated steering wheel. I think a heated steering wheel would be great but it is not offered here in the US. The heated seats are good. I find the low setting to be sufficiently warm.

The rear defogger strips are fine. The front windshield defrost sometimes seems a little slow, maybe because in EV mode the engine just idles to generate warmth?

After reading some info on lithium ion battery technology, I made a choice not to recharge the phev battery when the temperature is below freezing. Since I don't have a garage this means I drove a couple months in the winter mainly in HEV mode. No problems with that, but the fuel efficiency obviously drops in the winter. The coldest temp we had this winter was about -10 deg F. At those kinds of temperatures the car limits you to HEV mode.

My previous car was a Honda Civic also, 2002, very reliable. So far I am very happy with the Ioniq. I love the advanced phev technology, efficiency, value, design, and electric driving. Ask me again in 15 years for a long term opinion.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 27-03-19, 09:39 PM

Thanks very much for the feedback, Jonboy! Where I am (Minneapolis), not charging in sub-freezing temps would knock out several months, even with a garage...I'll have to read up more on that. I appreciate you taking the time to provide such a thoughtful reply...and I respect your choice of vehicles!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-03-19, 05:36 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I've had my phev Ioniq through one winter so far and the short answer is - yes, I am very happy with it.

I have heated seats but no heated steering wheel. I think a heated steering wheel would be great but it is not offered here in the US. The heated seats are good. I find the low setting to be sufficiently warm.

The rear defogger strips are fine. The front windshield defrost sometimes seems a little slow, maybe because in EV mode the engine just idles to generate warmth?

After reading some info on lithium ion battery technology, I made a choice not to recharge the phev battery when the temperature is below freezing. Since I don't have a garage this means I drove a couple months in the winter mainly in HEV mode. No problems with that, but the fuel efficiency obviously drops in the winter. The coldest temp we had this winter was about -10 deg F. At those kinds of temperatures the car limits you to HEV mode.

My previous car was a Honda Civic also, 2002, very reliable. So far I am very happy with the Ioniq. I love the advanced phev technology, efficiency, value, design, and electric driving. Ask me again in 15 years for a long term opinion.
Your choice, but I have to ask why?

If the PHEV runs down you lose the recharge capability of the car permanently, until you do plug the car in again.

I know regeneration isn't the be-all and ed-all but it is enough to show a 20 mpg improvement over the HEV (or simply operating the PHEV in HEV mode).
Why spend the extra on a PHEV and only drive it in HEV mode?

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 29-03-19, 05:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
Your choice, but I have to ask why?

I choose to not recharge the battery when the temperature is below freezing. Why? Well it's complicated. But the discussion and my comments in this thread explain it pretty well.
https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/202...ld-winter.html

Quote:
If the PHEV runs down you lose the recharge capability of the car permanently, until you do plug the car in again.

What? I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Quote:
I know regeneration isn't the be-all and ed-all but it is enough to show a 20 mpg improvement over the HEV (or simply operating the PHEV in HEV mode).
Why spend the extra on a PHEV and only drive it in HEV mode?

Not sure what you are trying to say here either. Regeneration, as in regenerative braking? Recharging?
I didn't spend extra on the PHEV version of the Ioniq. Yes, it has a higher up front price. But with the tax credit and money saved on fuel it costs about the same as the HEV. I'm not only driving it in HEV mode, I still drive it in electric mode 10 months out of the year.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page