Android Auto gets a complete makeover - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-19, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Android Auto gets a complete makeover

Google has announced a complete makeover of the Android Auto experience coming later this summer. Looking through the announcements I've read it looks like this will include the ability to see audio controls while in Maps and vice-verse with seeing a terse indication of the next turn while in audio controls for example. Not necessarily a full split screen like we get in the native Hyundai screen if you have navigation in your car, but a big step to at least get away from the single functionality dedicated screen. A big improvement.

Check out the public announcement at: https://www.blog.google/products/and...new-look-io19/

There are a lot of media outlets writing articles using Google's public content as well, such as: https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/06/go...a-darker-look/

2018 Hybrid Limited with Ultimate tech package
Gray exterior & Beige Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-19, 09:35 AM

Android Auto is in need of a refresh. I am looking forward to these changes.
Ou Boet likes this.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-19, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsntItIoniq View Post
Android Auto is in need of a refresh. I am looking forward to these changes.
I totally agree !! Looks like they are taking a pretty good leap based on the limited set of photos we can see in the press release. Here's to hoping they go all the way to a top notch solution instead of just part way.
IsntItIoniq likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-19, 06:45 PM

I'm an iPhone guy and Android Auto seems to have a number of issues, presumably why some car manufacturers are not supporting it including Toyota. That said, the new Google Pixel 3a looks like a darn good phone and great value, and free from the crapware and update issues from the other Android handset manufacturers. I think that is the phone to get to get the best benefit out of AA and other Android features directly from the OS provider. The only feature it is missing that seems to concern a number of car owners is wireless charging. But I've not heard of the charging issues on Pixels hooked up to car USB that other handset makers seem to have.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-19, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
I'm an iPhone guy and Android Auto seems to have a number of issues, presumably why some car manufacturers are not supporting it including Toyota. That said, the new Google Pixel 3a looks like a darn good phone and great value, and free from the crapware and update issues from the other Android handset manufacturers. I think that is the phone to get to get the best benefit out of AA and other Android features directly from the OS provider. The only feature it is missing that seems to concern a number of car owners is wireless charging. But I've not heard of the charging issues on Pixels hooked up to car USB that other handset makers seem to have.
Toyota is the only manufacturer I can think of that doesn't include Android Auto but does include Apple Carplay. They were very slow to even include Carplay and it is only just rolling out to models in the last year or so. I believe they will be including Android Auto as well in the coming years. That omission is one reason I've never seriously shopped Toyota.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+. It is certainly not free from the crapware but it doesn't seem to get in the way. I find that the USB port in the Ioniq supplies sufficient power to keep the phone charged while I'm using Android Auto. I also keep a dedicated charger that plugs into the 12V socket for when the battery is really low and charging is the priority.

I personally never use the wireless charging on my phone. Plugging it in is a lot faster (to charge) and the charging pad in the Ioniq tends to accumulate stuff making it a nuisance to use. Obviously, that's my fault.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-19, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Toyota is toying with the idea of charging an annual subscription fee for CarPlay. I've seen a couple articles about this, here is one: https://www.motor1.com/news/348176/t...arplay-charge/

Personally I consider this absolutely obnoxious. They are trying to monetize something that Apple does all the recurring development of. No reference to charging for AA as of yet. May be because they are still holding out on implementing AA, or may be because Google has told them NO to charging. Anyone's guess what is going on in the heads of Toyota marketing folks. Whatever it is, it is detrimental. This was one reason I dropped the Prius from my consideration list and I know others who have done the same.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-19, 11:59 AM

I test drove a Rav4 Hybrid a couple of weeks ago. It was a lower model so it had no carplay but it did have USB so you could plug your phone in and use a different mapping app which was subscription based. I don't remember the name of the app and I didn't test it but it was a turn off for me.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-19, 12:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsarpilot View Post
his was one reason I dropped the Prius from my consideration list and I know others who have done the same.
Absolutely, yes, me too. For me, GPS is important, and Toyota have now placed this option well out of my range in the Prius. CarPlay is the next best option, so I can use my iPhone instead. Absent availability on the Prius, I went looking for an alternative.

Score one for a Prius owner of some years, departing the fold over Toyota's bizarre and unreasonable policies on suitably equipping vehicles to meet consumer need. And after all, it isn't as if a Prius is cheap motoring.

2019 Ioniq SEL HEV
Black
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-19, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsarpilot View Post
Toyota is toying with the idea of charging an annual subscription fee for CarPlay. I've seen a couple articles about this, here is one: https://www.motor1.com/news/348176/t...arplay-charge/

Personally I consider this absolutely obnoxious. They are trying to monetize something that Apple does all the recurring development of. No reference to charging for AA as of yet.
There could be a legitimate issue behind a decision to charge for CarPlay compatibility. Car manufacturers love to charge exorbitant prices for built in nav and updates and may believe CarPlay cuts into their revenue stream (it does). Apple (and Google) do not do the engineering on the auto side programming, but instead set standards the manufacturer has to meet. This costs money too.

That said, when customers all over social media are saying they are basing car buying decisions on access to AA or CarPlay, it does seem insane to ignore that, provide it reluctantly at best, or charge extra. But it is their business and we are free to make our own choices.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-19, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
There could be a legitimate issue behind a decision to charge for CarPlay compatibility. Car manufacturers love to charge exorbitant prices for built in nav and updates and may believe CarPlay cuts into their revenue stream (it does). Apple (and Google) do not do the engineering on the auto side programming, but instead set standards the manufacturer has to meet. This costs money too.

That said, when customers all over social media are saying they are basing car buying decisions on access to AA or CarPlay, it does seem insane to ignore that, provide it reluctantly at best, or charge extra. But it is their business and we are free to make our own choices.
They already do charge extra. In every model I've looked at, AA and CarPlay are in higher trim packages.. not necessarily the highest, but not in the base either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page