2019 Ioniq PHEV Lift and Balance Points - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-05-19, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

2019 Ioniq PHEV Lift and Balance Points

As I type this, I am awaiting a call from a notary to tell me she has received the purchase documents for me to sign and close the deal on my 2019 Ionic PHEV Limited.

I've had no success so far, while looking for a diagram of the Hyundai recommended lift points, and balance point for lifting it on a 2 post vehicle lift for service or inspection.

Can this be found floating around online? I've seen where some folks have commented about having gotten their hands on factory service manuals, and I would expect that to be one of the pearls of wisdom found inside.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 01:34 AM

The jack points are shown in the changing the tire section. 6-22.

2019 SEL HEV (US Model)
Seattle, WA
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 08:02 AM
Cha

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmi View Post
I've had no success so far, while looking for a diagram of the Hyundai recommended lift points, and balance point for lifting it on a 2 post vehicle lift for service or inspection.

Thanks!
That is easy. The jack/lift point are clearly marked with dimple on the side rail just behind front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels.

2017 Hyundai ioniq hybrid SEL with tech package. Summit Grey.
Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,

Those are hard to miss :-)

Still hoping to find the balance point. I expect the PHEV's battery pack will push the balance point further back than most sedans.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Can this be found floating around online? I've seen where some folks have commented about having gotten their hands on factory service manuals, and I would expect that to be one of the pearls of wisdom found inside.
Unfortunately, no. The online "factory manual" simply shows the four pinch weld points as shown in the previous video. I'd like to know if there are some other engine cradle/suspension/axle lift points that DIY'ers can use for jacking to put jack stands at the pinch welds or for changing oil, etc.
billmi likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 02:10 PM
Cha

Quote:
Thanks,

Those are hard to miss 🙂

Still hoping to find the balance point. I expect the PHEV's battery pack will push the balance point further back than most sedans.
I’m confused. Why do you need balance point? You’re using two post lift, don’t you?

2017 Hyundai ioniq hybrid SEL with tech package. Summit Grey.
Bridgeport, CT U.S.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
I’m confused. Why do you need balance point? You’re using two post lift, don’t you?
Yes, and when doing so the vehicle should be placed with its balance point (AKA center of gravity) aligned with the two posts so the load on the arms is equal.

From Bendpak, one of the leading lift manufacturers (emphasis added):
"Vehicles topple or slide off lifts when users don’t adhere to one or more of the following crucial procedures: setting the vehicle at the proper lifting points; installing the wrong lift adapters; using adjustable adapters in the wrong fashion; neglecting to account for the vehicle’s center of gravity; and so on and so forth."

https://www.bendpak.com/blog/two-post-safety/

ALI (an industry group of lift manufacturers) publishes a guide of lift and balance points for most vehicles on the market, but since I only own a couple of cars that seems an excessive purchase rather than tracking down the points for just my two.
Cha likes this.

Last edited by billmi; 19-05-19 at 05:26 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 07:55 PM

I'm pretty sure the HEV is 40% rear when empty. You can always get axle weights on the highway once you have a car. If I pass by a weigh station I'll try to remember to grab some axle weights.

2019 SEL HEV (US Model)
Seattle, WA
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 09:32 PM

Garage
I have already had my 2019 HEV Ioniq on my two post lift using the factory jacking points and it is very well balanced. I have installed a magnetic dial gauge on a fixed bracket at the top of the lift post so I can measure to a thousandths any end play in the posts. I too was concerned about having my vehicles centered on the lift. I have three different vehicles so I have marked on the floor where the center of the front tire should be for each vehicle so it makes it easy to put the vehicle in the right place. Something else I have noticed is that I have to re torque ever six months the nuts attaching the post to the floor. It mentions that in the manual. It is not very much - about 2 to 4 degrees. I actually have an idea about this: I think the concrete expansion bolts in the floor may be moving slightly, so I have decided to take each nut off one at a time and pour JB-Weld into the hole around the bolt. Let it dry over night and then re torque the nuts. I am sorry, I have gotten off the subject.
billmi likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-05-19, 01:21 AM

Concrete has creep for its entire life until it is 100% dry. The frequency you have to tighten those bolts should slow as time progresses unless the concrete is already 3-5 years old. By that point you usually are just in constant creep mode.

2019 SEL HEV (US Model)
Seattle, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page