Do you trust your dealership? - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Do you trust your dealership?

My car is about one year old, 4300 miles, so it's almost time for the first scheduled service. I'm trying to decide if I should take the car in for servicing or do as much as possible myself instead. There are a number of things making the decision difficult for me but the biggest one is trust.

I did not have a good buying experience with the Hyundai dealerships last year. And I have a distrust of mechanics in general based on past experiences.

With my previous Honda, I performed all normal routine maintenance myself and never needed any repairs done under warranty. I didn't worry about staying in compliance with a warranty. No stress, just regular oil changes, brake replacements, filters, tire rotation, etc. But this week I had a check engine light come on and since the Ioniq is under warranty I took the car to the dealer for diagnosis. I thought this would be a good test run, to see how the service department handled everything. And then decide on how to take care of yearly scheduled maintenance.

The service staff was very friendly and helpful, no pressure. The first diagnosis was a failed purge valve which they would replace under warranty at no cost. Lovely. And bonus - they did not ask for verification that I was in compliance with the fine print of the warranty. And bonus - they did not refuse to service the plug-in Ioniq even though they do not sell the plug-in version here. And bonus - I mentioned that I had one rusty lug nut already and they said they would replace that too. And bonus - they offered a free wash and vacuum of the car. This is a very good experience with the service dept. and a great first impression.

However, next day they called to inform me that they found a wiring harness had been chewed up by a mouse which caused the purge valve to fail. Now they need to replace the wiring harness and purge valve ($1040). And rodent damage is not covered under warranty. Not good, but not their fault, blame the #[email protected] mouse. They suggested that I see if my insurance would cover the repair bill (minus my $500 deductible).

The insurance agent asked for photos of the damage and an estimate of the repair costs. I passed this requirement on to the service dept. They replied back that the technician was able to repair the wiring harness and now the purge valve is working as normal. No need to replace either but I would get billed $200 for their time and labor.

If I did not have a latent distrust of dealerships and mechanics I would just thank them for saving me $300 and my insurance company $540. But I wonder if they were exaggerating the damage and it wasn't until someone asked for photographic proof to hold them to account that they found a less expensive way to repair it. Maybe I am too distrustful, but I dont like that feeling you get when someone is taking advantage of you or trying to charge more than a fair price. Also, when I got the car back it still had the rusty lug nut.

I have read posts on this forum from members who have great relationships with their Hyundai dealerships. I know good ones are out there and not all mechanics are trying to rip you off. But this experience has left me wondering.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 05:51 PM

Your insurance company asked for photos because they don't trust anybody. Act the same way. Take it to the dealer if you want but always ask to see whats wrong, or see the damaged part, or see the brake linings, etc.

They can't deny warranty coverage because you do your own oil changes. You should keep good records and all receipts. One person on here, I don't remember who, keeps a video record of his oil changes.

However, since you aren't putting on many miles, you're not saving much money by doing your own. Plus, you'll get the car into the dealer occasionally to get software updates and recalls that may need to be done.

I go back and forth on this myself. I don't trust dealers or any mechanics myself but I don't have all the tools and I'm 61 yrs. old and I can't do what I used to. It's not that the dealers are inherently dishonest, they want to make a buck, just like everyone else. If you show them you won't easily pay for things that don't need to be done, they may learn they can't take advantage of you. If you bring it in regularly they may appreciate your business and treat you fairly in the future.

It's a crap shoot.

Is there another Hyundai dealer you could go to? I take mine to a different dealer than I bought it from. They had no problem taking care of warranty things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HEV SEL w/o Tech package
Ceramic white with "beige" interior
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 13-04-19, 02:26 AM

You can always insist on seeing the wiring repair work that has been done before you pay the bill.
bluecar1 likes this.

Ioniq EV SE 2017 Platinum Silver
(UK spec)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 13-04-19, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
yep, I am with @chui ask to see where the wiring harness was repaired before handing over cash, chances are they soldered the wires to rejoin them

also make sure receipt says which wiring loom was repaired so no issues over warranty in the future if the repair fails (if done correctly it shouldn't)
SEvans and Decro like this.

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 13-04-19, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the advice. I need a good relationship with this dealer as they are the only one in town. And it seems that car repairs are lot more expensive than they used to be. So for the the next five to ten years while the warranty is in effect I'll be dealing with them, carefully. Hopefully, with no more mice, the Ioniq will continue to be a very dependable car.
bluecar1 likes this.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 17-04-19, 10:47 PM

Eh, there's a lot to unpack here. I have always hated letting anyone else touch my cars, whether it's a dealer/shop, valet parking, or my goofy friend who will sit in the car, readjust my seat, all my radio settings, etc. I try to do everything I can myself, and usually the only thing I will bring the car to the dealer for is a recall. I've been pretty lucky to not need much warranty work on my cars.

All that being said, I don't think the dealer really should be getting the rap you're giving him in this case. They probably initially thought they would give you a new harness under warranty, then Hyundai shot them down, so they suggested your insurance (comprehensive, I presume), but when they saw that going south, they decided to repair the harness (I imagine Hyundai has an approved harness splice procedure) as it would be cheaper for you. I think they were trying to get you the best value when someone else was paying for it, but when it became clear that you were going to have to pay, they minimized that the best they could.

Not that I trust dealers as far as I can throw them, they do have their own logic and they tend to not own up to their errors (in this case changing the purge valve, and the new one not working either because the harness was chewed...yet they still tried to charge you for the valve that didn't need to be replaced).

Just to hit on a few other things you said, you can take your car to any dealer for warranty work, they get paid by the mfr. I wouldn't be completely surprised if you could take your Hyundai to a Kia dealer for warranty work. So it doesn't matter if you bought the car there or they don't sell your model there. Also, getting warranty service isn't like going through customs, you don't have to prove you've been changing your oil for a purge valve problem. If you went in with a seized engine, that would be a different story.

You couldn't pay me to accept the free wash at the dealer (go to a detailing forum to find out why), and they probably forgot about your rusty lug nut.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 18-04-19, 04:58 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Do what I do - develop a relationship with the servicing team.
You can only build trust when you KNOW someone, and `a dealer` is not represented by the here-today-gone-tomorrow sales farce that sold you the car, but by the support teams that stand behind them...
bluecar1, chui and David H like this.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 18-04-19, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Setec Astronomy - I like the idea of going to a Kia dealer for service. The Kia dealer is a lot closer than the Hyundai service center. But they are all owned by the same family so it wont be different, just closer. Thanks.

SEvans - That is really good advice. I'll keep that in mind next time. Also, I work with a girl whose husband works at the Hyundai dealership. I try to keep her in the loop too. Thanks.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
1986 Plymouth Sundance

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 19-04-19, 06:35 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Setec Astronomy - I like the idea of going to a Kia dealer for service. The Kia dealer is a lot closer than the Hyundai service center. But they are all owned by the same family so it wont be different, just closer. Thanks.

SEvans - That is really good advice. I'll keep that in mind next time. Also, I work with a girl whose husband works at the Hyundai dealership. I try to keep her in the loop too. Thanks.
Know the husband. Better solution!
"Talk to the organ grinder, not the monkey" as we say here in the UK. In a completely non-sexist way, of course !

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 02:15 PM

If ever the phrase " a lttle knowledge is dangerous" is applicable it could be to service advisors. In my experience they should just write down what the customer says and leave diagnosis and repair to those trained to do it.
Try and talk to the technician directly, although this seems to be discouraged in many dealers - maybe they're scared of the customer getting an honest answer.

2019 Polar White HEV Premium,
previously 2017 Polar White HEV SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page