Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

What MPG do you get?

456K views 586 replies 169 participants last post by  Gedwood 
#1 ·
Over my first 100 miles of mixed driving, I have achieved 45 MPG. After a bit of research, i think i may be driving it incorrectly and should be doing "pulse and go" around town. will try it out tomorrow. I'm hoping my MPG isnt the worst...

#447 · (Edited)
Finally broke the 600 mile range on the car this week. Been driving back and forth for a week to work, took a day trip to Cottonwood, AZ and Sedona, AZ and just filled up.

602 miles driven, 9.9 gals gas used for 60.4 mpg on this tank of gas running between 70 and 80 mph the entire time

#451 ·
Odometer today: 28375
Driven since last fill-up: 1918 km (August 27)
Volume: 39.6 litres
Consumption, combined EV/HEV: 2.06 L/100km (140 MPG US, 168 MPG UK)

A bit higher L/100km than last time (1.9), as expected. Quite a lot of HEV with heavy load just after previous fill-up.
My all time average still goes down, but very slowly, month by month.

#453 ·
Glad you had a fantastic Canadian road trip @TKGDee !

Reactions: TKGDee
#454 ·
Hi all,

I have 2017 ionic Hybrid with 17inch tyres. My MPG average (UK) is around 40 - so it seems I am the only with such low milages in this forum. Yes, I drive short drives only in the morning and in the evening (like 20 minutes in traffic) but still I think this is very low. I drive very economically (as in light on the gas and no aggressive driving at all). Yes, the car need warming up each that that takes time but I also find than the car rarely goes on to EV on its own - I literately need to let go of the gas for EV to kick in. Another thing I find is I feel fully the gear change from 1 to 2 to 3, almost like I have pressed the clutch. Is that normal I wonder? One other thing is the actual hybrid mode very rarely kicks in so either gas or EV.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers

Gunay

#457 ·
40 mpg (UK) = 33.3 mpg (US). Are you sure you selected imperial gallons as the unit of measure for mpg? In US version of the hybrid it is selectable in settings (not sure about UK market version). If it’s set in US gallons then 40 seems reasonable for short distances in freezing weather. If it’s in imperial gallons you might want to have your car checked by a dealer, cause this not much better than a traditional ICE car of same size in city traffic.

#455 ·
Cold car means (possibly) clunky first to second shifts. My car does it in the first 15 minutes of a drive. Cold cars also do not want to shift to EV as the engine wants to warm up. But check your icons carefully. Often my engine turns on when it is cold, but I'm in EV mode for the first quarter to half mile after starting.

#456 ·
Odometer last Saturday: 30166
Driven since last fill-up: 1791 km (October 4)
Volume: 38.0 litres (10.0 Ga US, 8.4 Ga UK))
Consumption, combined EV/HEV: 2.12 L/100km (111 MPG US, 133 MPG UK)

A bit higher L/100km (worse) than last time (2.06), as expected. Quite a lot of HEV, too, and semi cold weather.
My all-time average (see below) still goes down, but very slowly, month by month. Will approach 2.0 L/100 km (118 MPG US, 141 MPG UK) over time, It seems. By best fill-up was 1.68 L/100 km last August.

And that's d.a.m.n good.

#459 ·
I have a twenty minutes trip to the office, around 6 miles in suburb streets. Getting around 45 mpg (US) these days with temps often below freezing point in the morning. First half of the trip ICE is running practically non stop while the battery gets charged almost to full. The second half is mostly in EV mode, ICE turning on only when accelerating.

#462 · (Edited)
Odometer today: 31532 km
Driven since last fill-up: 1298 km (November 17)
Volume: 41.2 litres (new record, range was only 21 km)
Consumption, combined EV/HEV: 3.17 L/100km (74 MPG US, 89 MPG UK)

This is bad. Very cold weather, too much driving with climate on in EV mode (passengers), too much HEV driving, last days no charging (defect), a lot of very short trips around the neighbourhood.

My average (below) is almost unchanged, as it goes almost 17 months back.

Reactions: bluecar1
#463 ·
Hi,
Let me introduce my driving profile. My daily trip is 10-20km, mostly city driving.
I have the PHEV since early October and (was 3 months/612 km old). I immediately did a 15 liters-refill to cleanly forget its former and short life.
1st refill then on Nov 6 @1803km, 18,86l for these 1159km : 1,63l/100km. Mostly aligned with what I expected to be honest.
Then I crossed Switzerland from north to south then north and did a 2nd refill on Nov 19 @ 2857km, 42,17 liters for these 1054 km : 4l/100km. That quite impressed me because I drove as fast as I was allowed to in that long white-cross-over-red trip and I only charge once on the other side of the helvetic zone.
And temperatures was starting to be low, enforcing me to use the ice heating in my daily EV trip to have my babies on temperature. Things have gone worse then because ice warming is not as efficient as I believed.
3rd refill on 22th of December @4176km, 40,07l for 1319km : 3,04l/100km. 15l burned for heating (electric consumption didn't go much lower, maybe 10% decrease on my daily trip compared to October). I'm disappointed by ice warming. I usually only use it when it's really need it, but one week my wife was driving the car, using it all the time and 5liters were burnt... Ending up with 5l and 19.9kWh for only 136km. Disappointing.

On average I'm 2,86l/100km, but will raise as I'll soon do more than 1500 highway kilometers.

#464 ·
I got my 2018 Hybrid end of Jan 2018. For first couple of tanks I got about 48-50 mpg with mix of local and interstate driving. Then, without a change in driving patterns it rose and stayed at 57-59 consistently all summer into early fall. I left my car home and went away for 3 weeks in Oct. When I came back, around Oct. 21, I resumed same driving habits, pattern, etc. My mileage dropped to the 48-51 range and has stayed there since.

My dealer service guy told me this is due to the addition of ethanol to gas sold in NJ for the colder months. Does this make sense? If not, where'd those 9 MPG go?

#465 ·
That is about a 15% drop in MPG. I don't think a winter blend is responsible for that kind of difference. A quick google search doesn't turn up much. One factor may be addition of ethanol, which, at 10% of the blend, could result in ~3% MPG reduction (on the high end).

#467 ·
I have the hybrid and I am averaging right at 40mpg. I would think my car is 'broken in' by now. (Everyone has told me to get the best MPG, your car has to be broken in) I have 4K miles on it already in one month. I DRIVE A LOT! Most of my driving is on highway (65mph) and interstate which is marked at 80mph limit but I try to go about 75 at most. I do let off the gas when I am going downhill and coast as much as possible without being that annoying person on the highway that can't keep their speed consistent. I have no idea if i should be getting better by now or what.

#468 ·
4th refill on 27th of December @4875km, 37,46l for 699km : 5,36l/100km (~44MPGus).
That's of course my highest number. Out of these 699, about 500 km were done at highway speed (130km/h real, 136km/h speadometer read) with ACC. There was no significant wind and I did 2 full charges between this refill and the previous one. If you take out the equivalent distance covered thanks to the charges and consider that consumption is higher in the 130kph-highways, the average highway consumption is clearly above 6l/100km (between 35 and 40 MPG?). Let's hope for this summer that the low temperatures (-2 up to 6°C) had a significant impact.

By the way, my average has raised to 3,27 l/100km (~72MPGus).

#470 ·
First fuel tank almost empty. After fuelling car, I got these numbers: 44.7mpg (UK) or 6.33l/100km. Car says 52.7mpg (UK) or 5.36l/100km thou...

I charged car 3 times in the meantime.

Not a fantastic fuel economy BUT a lot of it was done in Sport mode, plus engine is still braking-in and it's cold outside (just saying :)). Personally I cannot be bothered too much as I do not think I will cover more thank 4k miles annually. Still, will keep an eye on this matter to see what is the best/worse readings I can get >:)

#472 · (Edited)
Odometer today: 32228 km
Driven since last fill-up: 696 km (December 24)
Volume: 40.1 litres
Consumption, HEV only: 5.77 L/100km (41 MPG US, 49 MPG UK) (worst ever)

This is "catastrophically" bad. Cold, very cold, many, too many, very, very short trips to local shops and so on (holidays related), and all long trips have been on motorways (high speeds), no "normal", moderate speed driving. And absolutely no charging, due to defect charging system. I have a HEV, for the time being.

Even my all time average is now up, but not as much as expected, this fill-up taken into consideration.

I have reached 20,000 miles (20.000 very lovable miles)!

I will get back with a report on how this PHEV has behaved as HEV, with some thoughts ad questions, once it's rectified. Still waiting for the part to arrive.

#474 ·
I don't have much experience with a HEV, but 60 MPG UK in winter time seems decent/ok, even if it certainly can be much better under other conditions and using common hypermiling techniques. The car improves itself (learns) on MPG quite nicely the first thousand miles or so.

Drive smoothly, gentle, and the MPG will rise. Avoid very short trips (many starts), especially when cold, if possible, and keep speed moderate on highways. Accelerate slowly, and start breaking early, then try keeping it evenly. It's amazing how that improves MPG in the long run (for almost any car, really)!

#476 ·
6th refill on Jan. 16th @ 6172.
Driven since last fill-up: 722 km (One straight leg of 350km without charge on highway @ 130km/h, daily charges, heating almost 1 out of 2 trips)
Volume: 30,7 liters
Consumption, combined EV/HEV: 4.16 L/100km (56 MPG US, 67,9 MPG UK)

7th refill on Feb. 1st @ 7065.
Driven since last fill-up: 893 km (~500km highway @ 110-130km/h, daily charges, heating about once out of 3 trips.)
Volume: 31.2 litres (this time I filled with E5 instead of E10, hoping to see a difference in consumption)
Consumption, combined EV/HEV: 3,7 L/100km (63,6 MPG US, 76,3 MPG UK)
I did not notice a huge difference between highway @ 110 and highway @130km/h : for both I get between 6 and 6,5l/100km. I was expecting getting in the 5 @110. Maybe the highway trip wasn't flat enough. I shall do the same trip at different speeds to have a real comparison. The latest comparison I did was 130 in one way and 110 on the trip back.

#477 ·
I've re-performed my estimations for my trip one way and back. Removing 22km on each way because I was half battery once at destination, I got 5,4 l/100 @ 130 on the first leg and 5,2@110 on the way back.

#481 ·
2017 Blue. I’ve had it down to the range reading just 4 miles before. It seem this car has quite a large buffer between the range saying you are almost empty and actually being almost empty, in my opinion they do this because they don’t want anyone actually driving this thing down to bone dry which could apparently damage the hybrid battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.