Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Best Options for Efficiency

22K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Jan Treur 
#1 ·
So in relation to RKMCCOY's post "Is this Normal?" I would like to know some simple ways of turning options off to increase range. I am getting mixed messages on here regarding whether to have regen braking on or off. I typically drive 90% all highway, so my speeds are up 100 to 120km/hr. That being said here was my first scary commute to work: turned car on and (not quite 100% positive) the car read 158km range. Pulled out of drive and put heat on driver side only, AUTO mode at 23C. By the time I got to the highway my range had decreased by 20km.. turned it off and it bumped it back up to 158 range. Anyways long story short I was going between heat on and heat off because it was -12C here today in the GTA. My commute is 104km per direction, and i charge at a location near work to full for my drive home. How the heck did I show up to work with 3km of range left with a starting range of 158?? Radio was on, and my speed was 120km/hr most the way. it really scared me when low power mode kicked on around the corner from work. :eek:

#2 ·
Low temperature and high speed is a bad combination, and high cabin temperature makes it worse. Was there also headwind?

To be more on the safe side you could try 18 °C cabin temperature and drive a bit slower.

Reactions: bluecar1 and chui
#3 ·
Thanks Jan. Here's an update, I had my car full charge for the drive home, was on eco mode, no heat, and maintained around 100-110km/he on average. My avg energy was 18.1Kw/100km. I only had the radio, seats and steering wheel on. My commute was 106km according to Google maps and starting range was 197km, got home and had 75km left.

#5 ·
To bring the cabin temperature from -12C to +23C require a lot of energy that is why you see the significant decrease of range. There are a couple of things you can do to preserve the range:

1. Park indoor in a heated garage When the batteries are in freezing temperature it cannot hold as much charge
2. Preheat the cabin while plugged in. It take less energy to maintain the cabin temperature

#6 ·
Thanks for the tips SC888.. but now this is what I have noticed. First off, my garage is not heated, but it is definitely a lot warmer than outside temperatures right now. First day the temperature outside was -12C and I L3 charged my battery and then trickle charged to 100% and i had 197km range ready to head home. Charged in my garage overnight at L2 and in the morning range displayed 187km... hmm ok because I had the preheat selected I figured loss of 10km. Came to work and did the same thing (L3 charge then trickle charge) and when I left to go home, range was 176Km... figured because it was outside at -20C for most of the day that was the reason... but it wasn't until this morning that I had it charge over night on my L2 I turned it on to see 164km range?? it's been sitting in my garage charging at coldest +1C so whats up with that? I may deselect the preheat option tonight and see if that helps for tomorrows range, but I'm starting to see a downward trend on an apparent 100% charged battery. Other than the outside cold charging, I don't see why it would decrease in my garage, I was expecting the same 187km range.

#7 ·
The indicator takes the history of your driving and charging into account, not just the current charging session.

#9 ·
And also the current outside temperature it seems.

(Im trying to research this, but its difficult to get accurate results as everything change all the time.)

If car sits in garage at 100%, it can show 201km when 0*c and 188km at -5*c (just guessing numbers) without beeing driven and at 100%. (Klima/Heat off)

#8 ·
I keep mine in a heated garage, but I keep the garage around 4c. I have been finding I have 200 km range when I start it but as soon as I bring it outside the range goes down.. I don't keep the cabin as warm as you. I only keep the house at 20c. In the car I have my coat on and all that, I would be to hot at that temp. Try lowering the temp down to 18 or so. I think its normal though. Outside temp plays a big part in how much range you get.

#10 ·
It is an interesting puzzle to find out how exactly these range indicator numbers are updated over time.

#11 ·
I would think when its charged the same range should be displayed under the same conditions, meaning since my garage was at 0C both mornings when I got in the car and 100% battery, one morning it displays 187 and the next morning 168.

When plugged in, does the charger KEEP the car at 100%? Or does it just charge to 100% and turn off for the rest of the night? I mean that would make sense if it's slowly decreased in range because of the colder temperature. I also haven't figured out why I have preheat setup with it still plugged in, so when I get in the car its warm, but I figured it should still be topped up on charge.

Does the charger kick in during preheat if it's still plugged in?

#13 ·
When plugged in, does the charger KEEP the car at 100%? Or does it just charge to 100% and turn off for the rest of the night? I mean that would make sense if it's slowly decreased in range because of the colder temperature. I also haven't figured out why I have preheat setup with it still plugged in, so when I get in the car its warm, but I figured it should still be topped up on charge.

Does the charger kick in during preheat if it's still plugged in?
It charges and when full stops. Then when the time runs near your set departure-time it starts again and power is used to heat-up the car. At departure time it stops.
If the charger can't deliver the needed power (I think about 3,5Kw), the battery is also used partially.
If you want the charging to start later in the evening, also set a scheduled window for charging. For example from 2200-1700.

#12 ·
The thing is that your previous trips are also incorporated, to get a form of personalisation and contextualisation of the advice range. Otherwise we all would get the same advice while we differ a lot in driving and context.

In your case your driving may have changed or not, but certainly the context has changed in the past weeks (decreasing temperatures outside), and that has affected your daily efficiency numbers. You see such changes reflected in the range numbers that are indicated over the days.

#14 ·
Ok, mine is set for a 430am departure time at 22 so I'll adjust to maybe 20C and departure time of 440 since it's typically around that time I leave the house. I just found it strange it was decreased 20km range from the previous day and all I did was change the time by 10 min and temp a degree. I thought that maybe it just pre heats and doesn't kick in the charger.
I have the setting so it charges when I plug in so maybe I should have it charge up closer to my departure time? With me charging it when I get home it's typically full by 830pm then it's sitting in my garage at 0c for 8 hours.. would that cause an issue?

#16 ·
Yes, it is a predictive indicator taking into account a moving average over previous trips. If there is a downward trend in this moving average due to lower efficiency for the more recent trips (because of colder circumstances), every next day it will be lower. Temperature during charging probably has no or not much effect.

#17 ·
This is exactly how both my ICE cars estimate my range to empty. Most of my driving is in town where I live. But when I fill up and drive to Montreal, I'm actually getting better gas mileage. If I fill up before I return, my estimated distance to empty is now higher based on my recent driving experience.

Once home, the distance to empty on a full tank drops down to my normal range after a day or two.

So it makes sense that the Ioniq would do the same. It should reflect my driving experience, not some predetermined potential. I doubt that the temperature while charging has any effect. IMHO :)

#18 ·
The best way to visualize this is by considering looking at the range indicator as looking in a mirror and then see yourself in the recent past...

#19 ·
on previous cars of mine the range indicator when I filled up was based on the average of the last 50-100 miles, then adjusted once it had enough mileage on the new tank of fuel,

I wonder if the EV has something similar for range calculation on full charge, if so it will be looking at the average over the last charge

#20 ·
So what you're all saying is that it takes an average on all my trips and calculates a realistic number for how much I can actually drive? I'm starting to think that may be it DOES make sense now. First trip displayed 197km but I noticed it was decreasing fairly quicker than ACTUAL mileage traveled. Now it seems to charge to 100% and show about 165-170 but when I either get home or to work I still have about 50km left whereas the first couple days I was doing my commute I was getting respectively a lot lower (3km, 20km etc) until its gradually increased to around the 35-50 mark.

#22 ·
I don't know whether the car would appreciate you interfering in this process...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.