New UK Ioniq Owner - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-11-16, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New UK Ioniq Owner

Hi All, I have had the Hybrid for two weeks now, getting along well with it, happy to answer any questions if I can

Its the Petrol Hybrid, not the Plug in and I'm in the UK

Cheers

Tom
IONIQ Admin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-11-16, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Tom,
welcome to the forum,

I pick mine up today

which model SE, premium or premium SE

any likes / dislikes about thing n the car?

what sort of MPG you getting? as I think many are wondering if in he UK it is living up to anywhere near the claimed 83.1mpg

regards

bc1
IONIQ Admin likes this.

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-11-16, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks BC. It's the premium SE in Grey. Hope you like yours. It's ok, I like all the gadgets (I'm like that) and one of the attractions was the high spec on the Premium SE

In short, Likes:

The overall look
15" tyres are nice and comfortable, hate those 17" wheels
The features like blind spot detection where the wing mirrors alert you and if you indicate it bleeps
The smart cruise control is a bit spooky where it brakes by itself - though can be a bit jerky if the giuy inf ront is on and off the brakes, I have it set on the closest setting just in case
Apple Car Play is ok, I like all the stering wheel integration

Dislikes
MPG- I'm getting 45 ish which isn't great.. I find it hardly ever just goes on battery, only when doing literally 5 mph, anything more than that the engine kicks in. I'm not hugely stressed because I mainly got a hybrid to reduce my company car tax BIK, but it's definitely NOT as advertised. Maybe I just drive with lead boots but it seems to say I am driving "ecologically"... will be interesting to see what you get.
The sat nav isn't Tom Tom but uses TomTom traffic which I had anyway, It's quite good, not as good as my old Tom Tom device but I'll live with it
Main pain is that to get the traffic you have to connect it to WiFi via your phone hotspot, if you can find a solution to this pray tell. I have an Iphone and when I plug in the USB it won't connect to the wifi unless I turn the hotspot off and on again.
Not mad on the footbrake but you get used to it, I keep forgetting it's on..
Visibility out of the back isnt great with the bar across, but you get used to that, I am getting used to using a reversing camera!
Tank is quite small, 40 litres? So it says about 530 miles range, I think I am used to my old diesel which did 675, I certainly don't get 535, got about 450 off the last one but am only on my second fill up so will report back

This is sounding like more dislikes than likes, but I am very happy with it overall, would be really interesting to compare notes

Cheers

T
IONIQ Admin and bluecar1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-11-16, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I got 71mpg for the 19mile drive home from dealer

I was the first actual Ioniq hand over for them,

like you I am not mad of the foot operated handbrake but I am getting used to it

I am having to remember to put my foot on the brake when I turn the car on or you can't go anywhere until you turn it off / on again

I like the smart cruise, I have a long bridge I go over and it is quite steep on both side, and it is fun to watch it change down to go up the slope, change back up as it gets near the top, then drops to EV mode as it starts down again, then it applies the regenerative brakes to hold the speed on the steep down slope

the smart cruise I found setting 3 was about best

one thing I noted was the bar in the rear window, seems just the right height to block a pain in the rear range rover headlights on the way home

now working out how to fly the thing solo, I have a stack of manuals about 4-5 inches high

I took it to see a mate of mine who runs and independant garage, and he was quite impressed with it, he likes toys etc and was impressed with the kit and build of it

Location Kent, UK

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-11-16, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That's pretty good, I do a lot of town driving, so I guess why its lower, I was expecting the battery to do quite a bit of the town stuff but it doesn't really..

Yes lots of manuals, I need to read them really! Let me know if you find anything handy.

I turned off the thing that slides the seat back when you open the door as it was crushing my shopping in the rear seat well....
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-11-16, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I only have the premium (in marina blue), so no posh electric seats,

just filled the tank, it said 565 miles range?, not sure if that is a default until you drive it a bit so it can work out the mileage left in tank, when I picked mine up it said 127 miles range, by the time I got home it said 175 mile range, I like that it seemed to be putting fuel in the tank

mine does like swapping to and thro EV/ hybrid modes, as soon as you lift off the accelerator it stops the petrol engine

next week I have 700 miles to do for work, so should be interesting to see mpg on long runs, my dealer has requested I keep them updated on this so they can give other customers an idea of realistic figures. my challenge will be to try and complete this on a single tank, I could get 500-550 miles on a tank of my old 2015 1.2 84ps i20 I swapped today

so should be better range on the Ioniq

Location Kent, UK

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-11-16, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes I agree that will be a good test, let me know, I find that if you have smart cruise control on then I think it burns petrol because it's constantly braking and then accelerating quite hard... So it's fun but not great for fuel I bet.... maybe why my first tank was quite poor mpg, I was playing with it a lot.

Mine always says about 565 when full too...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 18-11-16, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
its a 10 gallon tank (45 ltr) and the US EPA figures are 56-58mpg,

so I wonder if 56.5mpg is what they are expecting real world?

I found the adaptive cruise very smooth in operation, except downhill when it was using the regenerative braking to hold the speed

I set it at 60mph when I was about 400 yards behind a lorry and let it catch up etc, and it came in and held station about 20-30mtrs until the lorry turned off

to keep in EV mode from a start you have to be very light on the loud peddle, and I can get up to 30-35mph in EV mode, score of 7 on the eco tracker.

but I have be driving small engine eco cars for about the last 5 years, so got used to light touch on the loud peddle to get the best out of them

I do like the creep in EV when you take you foot off the brake, makes reversing very easy as you can just ease back at a steady speed, not tried reversing at night how good is the camera in the dark?

going to take it out for a drive when it gets properly dark, to see the dash lights etc and how good the HID headlights are

Location Kent, UK

Last edited by bluecar1; 18-11-16 at 11:36 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 25-11-16, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1965 View Post
I find that if you have smart cruise control on then I think it burns petrol because it's constantly braking and then accelerating quite hard... So it's fun but not great for fuel I bet.... maybe why my first tank was quite poor mpg, I was playing with it a lot.
I think there's a setting in the menus where you can adjust how the car responds on smart cruise control with settings SLOW, NORMAL and FAST.

Please give it a try and we're all curiously waiting for you to report back.

Thanks!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 25-11-16, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
i have been playing with this on my car and smart cruise

the setting only seems to affect the "catch up" acceleration and not any braking the smart cruise does to adjust its speed

the only observation i have is the smart cruise is great on a motorway in light / medium traffic, but in heavy traffic where vehicles are changing lanes frequently if can be a bit jerky as it gets confused at whats in lane with you

also is a car slows down to leave your road, until it is right out the lane the smart cruise slows to keep pace with the car turning off, so at times its a quick dab on the brake to disengage drive manual for a short time the back on cruise

its just a case of learning how the system works and making any slight adjustments to how you use some of the systems to get the best out of them

Location Kent, UK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page