Fast Charging - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-17, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Fast Charging

Can anyone tell me if using the fast charge too often would damage the battery. I plan to fast charge mine twice a week, just wondering if that is to much.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-17, 02:50 PM

Every different type of battery chemistry has own fast charging characteristic. What i known in common is that lithium polymer batteries has higher C-value. It tells how much charge and discharge current battery can handle per its energy capacity. We have seen that Ioniq is very good at fast charging power (70kW in Björn Nyland's video - 100kW promised by the factory) so it has good c-value. So i would say that all the chargers that are under the 70 000 Watts are not fast chargers at all for the Ioniq perspective. Other words you can fast charge Ioniq much more often than any other electric car in wearing point of view.

Ioniq electric is only EV that uses lithium polymer chemistry so nobody has experience how much and how long it will handle high currents. Except factory if they have made proper tests and time simulations. Hyundai promises good 200000km/8 year warranty for the battery so no doubt they have made some tests.

There was warnings about fast charge when Nissan Leaf was introduced. It has (least in theory) worse/slower battery chemistry than in Ioniq. Many people were saying that Leaf will last 1000 fast charging cycles - i had 3000 fast charging cycles and there was only usual time based (common average is 2% per year) battery degradation. It is a battery management system inside of the car that manages charging according to safe and long lasting limits i.e if there is too hot weather the car will charge (yes actually the charger will obey the car) with less current and take longer time. So the lithium based EV users should not worry about the fast charging at all. There are wrong associations of over/under charging EV probably because of it was/is possible i.e. with lead acid batteries/chargers.

It is fact that the fast charging stress battery more than slow charging. This is also mentioned in the Ioniq user manual not to fast charge too often.

I also know that mode3 AC-charging was balancing battery cells better than mode4 DC-fast charging in Leaf so it is not only matter of the stress but better battery care with slower AC-charger.

If the current is too high it does not matter if the battery is charged or discharged it may wear/break in both. So i would say that do not accelerate or drive high speeds too long time and too often to save your battery from wearing.

Summary: twice a week is not too much. Do not worry. This all has been taken into account when the Ioniq was designed. Use it as you wish - it will last - leas the warranty time/mileage :-)
Sari likes this.

Last edited by Javamik; 07-02-17 at 02:59 PM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-17, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Javamik, dealer said I was not to fast charge too often telling me this he made me think that I had made the wrong choice in buying an EV. Thanks you have put my mind at rest on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-17, 04:38 AM

For the New Zealand market, the battery will carry a 10 year unlimited kilometer warranty, so that gives me a lot of confidence.
IONIQ Coming Soon | Hyundai NZ
Andrew136 and Izakiwi2 like this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-17, 03:20 PM

Still wondering what that warranty exactly means. When will they replace the battery? My dealer had no satisfying answer. Do you know how this works in your country?

Current: Hyundai Ionic Electric, February 2017
Previous: Fiat Punto Evo diesel
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-17, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
it all depends on whether that warranty is transferable, or like the US the unlimited warranty is only for the first owner

if only the first owner, there will be very few long term warranty claims a few people keep a car more than 3-5 years

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-17, 04:39 PM

My dealer said that if the battery capacity is less than 80% of the original then it is replaced by them.
blownb310 likes this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-02-17, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
This is the first time I heard a percentage. And 80% is generous, many brands only guarantee 70%.

2016 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Comfort Marina Blue
Previous car: 2013 Prius Plug In
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-02-17, 10:15 AM

I am curious to see more concrete documentation on the battery warranty.

For reference, this post has a good summary of EV battery warranties (at least in the US).

Battery Degradation Warranties - Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum

2015 Spark EV
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-02-17, 01:32 PM

Was it Tesla that didn't have a degradation standard posted or something in terms of warranty replacement? I've heard varying ranges depending on manufacturer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page