Fast Charging - Page 4 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 19-02-19, 10:13 PM

I charge only once , sometimes twice a week on L2 chargers. One time from 30-Full, second time it could be couple of short sessions 10kWh+6kWh. Very rare I do it at home as free L2 chargers are available at work and place we shop/walk. I doubt I would bother with degradation worries. BTW, when you limit to 20-80 - you pretty much using car with degraded range all the time voluntarily. I think this is good recommendation for people who need to charge every day due to extended distance they drive per day. I usually drive less then 20 miles a day with possible 70 miles sprint once a week (this would trigger second charge event per week), so last thing I need to worry is charging it every day. In very rare cases when I need to drive distance and have not enough electrons, I could drive a few miles and top it off at EA 150kWh charger in a few minutes @ 100kWh rate. Ionic is everything I ever wanted from EV at this point, after experiencing Leaf and getting feedback on Model 3 from colleagues at work and forums(due to electric heaters(winter) and parasitic drain and very poor seats on the back and not being a hatchback). Ionic EV over delivers on range estimates consistently, all other EVs always under-deliver on range consistently and by big margin. I owned two Hyundai cars in the distant past and it was not very good experience (although those were salvage title). I glad I gave Hyundai a chance and Ionic is very nicely engineered, I am still finding a little details in design and software implementations that shows they improved significantly in engineering and design. I do not think Ionic is very special, it is across the line. At this point, I have reservations about leading Japanese makers and moving away from those weird bug-ly, creature-like looking cars, plagued by recalls and quality issues. Hm, Koreans have better taste in esthetics and design, who would have thought? I have all intentions to keep it for very long time, help me God! Lifetime battery warranty may come handy, thanks Hyundai.
SEvans, TMJ and MR Scan Man like this.

Traded Leaf 15 SV(CPO) for Ioniq EV 19 Limited

Last edited by IonicEV; 19-02-19 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 21-02-19, 11:51 AM

And the last email from Hyundai. But let me paraphrase "unless the battery completely dies, you are stuck with what you have, tough crap":

-----------------

"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

The Lifetime Hybrid Battery Warranty ensures that if the lithium-ion polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery free of charge to the original owner.

More information on the battery Life time warranty can be found on the https://www.hyundaiusa.com

When contacting us regarding this email, please reference your case number 15511589. We look forward to assisting you further.

Respectfully,

Hyundai Customer Care
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 17-04-19, 12:34 PM

Some more fun times with dealer and Hyundai Motor America. HMA keeps saying it is up to the dealer to decide when to replace the battery, and the dealer says it is up to HMA. There is no 70%/30% replacement time or any other identifiable determination of when to replace the battery. Theoretically, the battery could hold 10% charge and they could say too bad!

My take on it - DONT BUY THIS CAR BASED ON THE BATTERY WARRANTY. Which was actually a big selling point for me as I keep my cars forever, and am worried about having to micromanage my battery and replace it at some point.

Good times....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 17-04-19, 01:09 PM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBri View Post
Some more fun times with dealer and Hyundai Motor America. HMA keeps saying it is up to the dealer to decide when to replace the battery, and the dealer says it is up to HMA. There is no 70%/30% replacement time or any other identifiable determination of when to replace the battery. Theoretically, the battery could hold 10% charge and they could say too bad!

My take on it - DONT BUY THIS CAR BASED ON THE BATTERY WARRANTY. Which was actually a big selling point for me as I keep my cars forever, and am worried about having to micromanage my battery and replace it at some point.

Good times....

I think you're seeing the consequences of a new market, opening.

Because no specific data exists, no-one can offer an interpretation of what the warranty offers, or should offer, or implies. But what you can be certain of is no manufacturer DARES to be the first to test this in open market, or court. Certainly not a manufacturer that has aspirations to be second only to Toyota in the electric car market:
https://www2.greencarreports.com/new...ed-ev-platform

I think your interpretation of the warranty is completely and utterly wrong - but I'm willing to have my opinion changed if you can present even a shred of evidence that what you fear to be true is an actual fact, rather than interpretative speculation?

How many cases have there been of Hyundai denying a warranty claim for an electric power train in the USA?
Jan Treur, chui, Robinhood and 3 others like this.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 23-04-19, 11:15 AM

Easy - look up Kia Optima turbo engine issues (you do know they are same, right?). I know of two people in my town that are going through that fiasco.

I dare you to find a dealer that will do its best to save money and not fix warranty issues in a timely fashion or completely - oh wait, that is all of them! I have had issues with Honda and Hyundai both in the past - this is not speculation. Had to hold their hands to the fire to get them to completely and in a timely manner hold their end of the bargain. Kinda like the government regulating itself....

But I do stand by my stance of not using the "lifetime warranty" for new buyers as a positive. If they are not willing to say what that covers, then it is useless and should not be used in choosing which car to purchase. Not a bad thing, just not a real thing!
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 24-04-19, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBri View Post
Easy - look up Kia Optima turbo engine issues (you do know they are same, right?). I know of two people in my town that are going through that fiasco.

I dare you to find a dealer that will do its best to save money and not fix warranty issues in a timely fashion or completely - oh wait, that is all of them! I have had issues with Honda and Hyundai both in the past - this is not speculation. Had to hold their hands to the fire to get them to completely and in a timely manner hold their end of the bargain. Kinda like the government regulating itself....

But I do stand by my stance of not using the "lifetime warranty" for new buyers as a positive. If they are not willing to say what that covers, then it is useless and should not be used in choosing which car to purchase. Not a bad thing, just not a real thing!
But the warranty specifically applies to first-buyer ONLY. Supported by the dealer network and Hyundai themselves.
Sounds like you need to find a new dealer, or a new attitude to dealers in general!

Resellers and second customers is, however, a different question: I dont think there are enough cars in the resale market just yet to enable ANY sensible assessment. But the limited number of `repeat faults` in this forum, together with basic reliability of the power train seems to be an exemplar of good basic reliability as a whole. At least until the aftermarket gets its hands on it!

Given the observations above you should perhaps look in the mirror as there's more than a hint of Xenophobia in your comment? If a dealer doesn't perform, surely that says as much about your selection as it does about any genuine shortcomings? Or do you tar the whole dealer network with the same brush?

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
Xenophobia
A bit of a strong word. But yes, if I cannot get a dealer/manufacturer to backup what their warranty actually means - I am going to look at them in a poor light. Kinda like me telling you I will take you out to dinner, but never actually doing it. What is the point of asking you out to dinner? They tell me "Lifetime Warranty", but wont tell me what that entails.

BTW - I love the car, and hope it lasts forever. I am just warning future buyers to ignore the "Lifetime Warranty" portion, to not use it as a decision making point. Like using MPG in ICE cars to decide which to buy - we have learned that manufacturers lie about this to get us to buy a car.

Have a great day!
Bermah likes this.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 11:02 PM

The only specific mention of the coverage (exclusion) for the traction battery:

Quote:
Battery damage caused by insufficient regular charging (i.e. low mileage users) will not be covered. The reason for this is if a battery is left at low charge for long periods of time this will damage the plates within, which is not a manufacturing defect but a lack of regular battery maintenance.
A tweet from Hyundai UK: "@Hyundai_UK Hi, we do have a HV battery degradation limit of 70% State of Health, thank you". A normal battery should go at least 250K before approaching 70%, so 70% seems reasonable.

Hyundai has been offering a lifetime warranty on the Sonata Hybrid since 2012. I've not read of any owners complaining.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 26-04-19, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousintim View Post
The only specific mention of the coverage (exclusion) for the traction battery:

A tweet from Hyundai UK: "@Hyundai_UK Hi, we do have a HV battery degradation limit of 70% State of Health, thank you". A normal battery should go at least 250K before approaching 70%, so 70% seems reasonable.

Hyundai has been offering a lifetime warranty on the Sonata Hybrid since 2012. I've not read of any owners complaining.
Clearly there is precedent that makes BriBri's statement applicable to his own relationship with American dealers. It does not reflect on the Rest of the World approach...

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 27-04-19, 09:49 PM

The precedent law does not apply to The Rest of the World. Its origin is English, and mostly followed in countries which were under British influence. Not necessarily a smart law, either.

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg

Last edited by Bermah; 27-04-19 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in