Painting the grey trim panels - BEV - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-19, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Painting the grey trim panels - BEV

When I was the dealerís having my Electric serviced, there was a polar white plug-in with a shiny black grill, DRL housings and rear panel which, on the Electric is always a drab grey. The black and white together looked stunning.
I didnít notice if the door protector strips were black too.

Has anyone in the UK had theirs spray painted and was it a success?

Iím sorely tempted if the dealer will do it.

2018 Ionic Electric Premium SE.
Petrol is dear, electric is cheap, solar power is really cheap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-03-19, 09:07 PM
TRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDilly View Post
When I was the dealerís having my Electric serviced, there was a polar white plug-in with a shiny black grill, DRL housings and rear panel which, on the Electric is always a drab grey. The black and white together looked stunning.
I didnít notice if the door protector strips were black too.

Has anyone in the UK had theirs spray painted and was it a success?

Iím sorely tempted if the dealer will do it.
Was thinking of doing the same thing when I ordered my Ioniq BEV, but . . . .

. . . . in Australia you can order grill colour with any model. Which is a relief - after my test drive I thought I was stuck with grey, but sales folk said I could order any colour. As long as it was black or grey 😀
Old 25-03-19, 01:21 AM

You can buy the shiny black insert for the rear bumper by itself from Hyundai or a parts dealer. Last I looked it was ~$150 for the plastic. The HEV in the States has a gloss black insert.

2019 SEL HEV (US Model)
Seattle, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-19, 03:49 AM

Garage
Get it wrapped and it will also protect the underside material, I presume you mean these bits https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//sho...63461&page=275

Me, my Wife and the Kids.... Loving the Ioniq.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Warrington UK
Ioniq Premium Hybrid Phantom Black 2019 model

Last edited by MartynIT; 25-03-19 at 03:57 AM.
Old 25-03-19, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartynIT View Post
Get it wrapped and it will also protect the underside material, I presume you mean these bits https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//sho...63461&page=275
There is a local firm that does wrapping. Iíll check them out. Thanks

Old 25-03-19, 02:30 PM

Garage
Hi. I did a research and was stuck in between wrapping and spray painting. Originally i wanted to go for wrapping, so i went to a local company. But they told me that there were tens of “whites” and none really matched ioniq color. Then i went to a local car painting shop where they just mixed it as close as possible. So i eventually ended up with sprayed front..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6D2E0ABB-BF8E-40DB-A773-E485AE685583_1553538634872.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	29210  
Old 25-03-19, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by komat44 View Post
Hi. I did a research and was stuck in between wrapping and spray painting. Originally i wanted to go for wrapping, so i went to a local company. But they told me that there were tens of ďwhitesĒ and none really matched ioniq color. Then i went to a local car painting shop where they just mixed it as close as possible. So i eventually ended up with sprayed front..
It looks much better than grey - nice job.

I think I still want to go for gloss black, so a colour match is not so important

Old 25-03-19, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komat44 View Post
Hi. I did a research and was stuck in between wrapping and spray painting. Originally i wanted to go for wrapping, so i went to a local company. But they told me that there were tens of ďwhitesĒ and none really matched ioniq color. Then i went to a local car painting shop where they just mixed it as close as possible. So i eventually ended up with sprayed front..
That looks freaking amazing. I'm going to do the same to my silver EV's grille.

Silver/black Ioniq electric premium trim, purchased Jan 2019.
Charged by trickle from rooftop solar on sunny days.
Old 26-03-19, 02:43 PM

I'm sorry to say Hyundai have got it wrong with the Ioniq EV which is a great car but the front end is one of the worst if not the worst of any EV car on the road today and anything an owner does will improve it's overall appearance. Volvo have the right idea there new range of electric cars will have the standard grill.
Old 26-03-19, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDrive View Post
I'm sorry to say Hyundai have got it wrong with the Ioniq EV which is a great car but the front end is one of the worst if not the worst of any EV car on the road today and anything an owner does will improve it's overall appearance. Volvo have the right idea there new range of electric cars will have the standard grill.

IMHO grills are so last century and completely superfluous on an EV plus they add unnecessary drag.

Personally I like the look of the Ioniq EV's front end........................which demonstrates that your opinion is as personal as mine and not universal.
Jan Treur and Bermah like this.

Ioniq EV SE 2017 Platinum Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(UK spec)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in