New battery layout and motor components in Hyundai / Kia Electric Vehicles. - Page 8 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 21-01-19, 04:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giora View Post
If we assume that next year's Ioniq will use Kona electric cells (60Ah, 3.63V nominal) as some here claimed, the 38.3kWh pack may mean 176 cells arranged in 88 clusters in series, each containing 2 cells in parallel, i.e 4 cells (2 clusters) less than the 39.2 Kona:
3.63V*88=319V nominal.
3.63V*60Ah*176=38.3kWh pack.
88? Never... That would mean a lowered voltage, lower charging speeds, increased heat losses, more copper, etc.

I bet the 38.3kWh Ioniq has the same battery arrangement as the 39.2kWh Kona, except it has a larger buffer for longevity.

Ioniq EV received in September 2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— Prius+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 21-01-19, 08:20 AM

^Kona 39.2 has 90 and already lower charging speed than current Ioniq.
Reducing usable from 39.2 to 38.3 just for increased buffer - never.
Your bet has been noted...I stay with mine...near future will tell.

2019 Ioniq EV Premium
2013 Prius Plug-in
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 16-05-19, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by giora View Post
If we assume that next year's Ioniq will use Kona electric cells (60Ah, 3.63V nominal) as some here claimed, the 38.3kWh pack may mean 176 cells arranged in 88 clusters in series, each containing 2 cells in parallel, i.e 4 cells (2 clusters) less than the 39.2 Kona:
3.63V*88=319V nominal.
3.63V*60Ah*176=38.3kWh pack.
Expected WLTP range could be ~280 km with this arrangement.
88? Never... That would mean a lowered voltage, lower charging speeds, increased heat losses, more copper, etc.

I bet the 38.3kWh Ioniq has the same battery arrangement as the 39.2kWh Kona, except it has a larger buffer for longevity.
PushEVs quoted some more details on the new 38.3 kWh battery:
https://pushevs.com/wp-content/uploa...tric-specs.png

The 319.4V battery is as I predicted...
Jan Treur likes this.

2019 Ioniq EV Premium
2013 Prius Plug-in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 18-05-19, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

-
I uploaded the specs as an image file. I find it easier to read the post when the image it refers to is inline.

Some things we can work out from these specs.
The weight of the battery pack ( with heating plate ) = 38300 / 112.4 = 340.75 kg
This is 25% heavier than the previous pack. 271.8kg

The overall energy density of the pack hasn't increased, even though the actual cells are roughly 25% more energy dense.
I think this means it is the cooling system inside the battery pack that adds the weight.
Having liquid cooling doesn't just add extra cost, it also adds extra weight.

Nissan has chosen not to add liquid cooling to the new 62kWh Leaf.
This might be a good idea if the car is only to be sold in mild climates such as Norway.
The current Ioniq is not suffering from battery degradation. It does not have liquid cooling. Hyundai does not try to sell this car in Arizona.
The current car has a lighter, relatively more powerful battery. The new car has a larger, heavier battery, with a more powerful motor.
It will be interesting to see the new car tested to see how it actually performs. I have sat in the new Ioniq but haven't driven it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New-IONIQ-Electric-specs.png
Views:	34
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	29478  
Jan Treur likes this.

The codes for using Torque Pro with an OBD2 adapter to display battery info are here -

Last edited by JejuSoul; 18-05-19 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added an extra sentence
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 18-05-19, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JejuSoul View Post
-
Some things we can work out from these specs.
The weight of the battery pack ( with heating plate ) = 38300 / 112.4 = 340.75 kg
This is 25% heavier than the previous pack. 271.8kg

The overall energy density of the pack hasn't increased, even though the actual cells are roughly 25% more energy dense.
37% more energy with 25% more weight - the density did increase.
As for the cells, do we know for sure the type of cells used in the refreshed model and their number and arrangement? Where from came the 25% increase in energy density?
Quote:
I think this means it is the cooling system inside the battery pack that adds the weight.
Having liquid cooling doesn't just add extra cost, it also adds extra weight.
Do you know it is liquid cooled or just a possible deduction from data known?
Quote:
The current car has a lighter, relatively more powerful battery.
I think it is not relatively more powerful. Judging from the 25% increase in motor power it makes sense that battery power increased accordingly.

2019 Ioniq EV Premium
2013 Prius Plug-in

Last edited by giora; 18-05-19 at 11:54 AM.
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 18-05-19, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I think it is not relatively more powerful. Judging from the 25% increase in motor power it makes sense that battery power increased accordingly.
My mistake...motor power was increased from 88 to 100 kW, this is only ~14% increase.
So, the current car battery is relatively more powerful.

2019 Ioniq EV Premium
2013 Prius Plug-in
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 23-05-19, 09:53 AM

«Ioniq is not suffering from battery degradation»
Can this be proven?
Cayman be sure of this?
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
Cayman be sure of this?
This is wishful thinking, not true. All Lithium-based batteries do degrade, although the extent may differ with the chosen chemistry.

2016 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Comfort Marina Blue
Previous car: 2013 Prius Plug In
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 25-05-19, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Of course all Lithium-based batteries do degrade. The Ioniq will suffer from battery degradation. Note the future tense in that statement and the word 'suffer'.
I am using the word suffer to imply a severe loss that actually impacts your ability to drive the car normally.

My original statement was in the present tense because currently I have no evidence that anyone has lost the buffer at the top of the pack, before any loss of driving range occurs. I collect data from users who report their BMS data using Torque. It is a very small subset of actual Ioniq drivers, so clearly may not be the norm. But I have also not seen any general reports of severe battery degradation either.
Contrast this with the very rapid degradation seen in the Nissan Leaf or Kia Soul in Phoenix, Arizona.

I understand the original quote, but clearly others do not, so given the misunderstanding I will alter the original statement to "Ioniq is not suffering from severe battery degradation yet".

The codes for using Torque Pro with an OBD2 adapter to display battery info are here -

Last edited by JejuSoul; 25-05-19 at 02:42 AM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234-hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev/28793-new-battery-layout-motor-components-hyundai-kia-electric-vehicles.html
Posted By For Type Date
Comparing layout of the Soul EV battery with other EVs - Page 2 - Kia Soul EV Forum Post #0 Refback 13-07-18 08:38 AM