Advice on price for new Electric Plus - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Advice on price for new Electric Plus

Hi all,

I have just signed up here and I am looking for some advice on some extras my dealership has added on to the base price in a quote I've been given for a new Ioniq Electric Plus. Specifically, these are front and rear mud guards for CA$175 and 3M Door Edge Guards for CA$249. Any advice on whether I should get either of these and how the quoted prices look? I've seen edge guards advertised a lot cheaper than this and read that installation is easy so should I do them myself instead? I've also read that mud guards are counterproductive on an EV. Is the same true for a PHEV?

Thanks in advance for any advice given. I'm doing another test drive on the PHEV this week and will have to make a decision about whether or not to buy after that.

HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

No mud guards on mine . Wouldn't they affect the aerodynamics of the car ?
harryp likes this.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 03:09 PM

Garage
Personally, I'd refuse those extras. Even if they were not ridiculously expensive (and bearing in mind that it is your money the dealer is spending), I would have thought that mud guards would negatively impact fuel efficiency since they would disturb underbody air flow, and door edge guards would only beneficial if you or your passengers are remarkably careless with opening car doors.

These kind of extras make the dealers a great deal of money.
harryp likes this.

2019 Ioniq SEL HEV
Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your comments Andy and chunga68. I had read the same somewhere regarding mudflaps. I didn't mention, too, that the dealer seems to describe these extras as "PDI accessories". I've read that the PDI fee is mandatory but, and correct me if I'm wrong, there aren't any "accessories" associated with that. He also wants to tack on a $499 admin fee. I'm totally with you Andy. I will be refusing those accessories and demanding at least a reduction in the admin fee before I sign anything.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunga68 View Post
I love it!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryp View Post
I love it!
One of the best Frank Zappa quotes
harryp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 05:31 PM

Completely agree with Andy. I have always refused dealer-installed extras or after sale extras in every car I've ever bought. They are usually much more expensive than after market equivalents (e.g. mud guards) or not needed at all (e.g. underbody rustproofing, upholstery protection, paint protection, etc.). Most consumer advocacy groups (e.g. Consumer Reports) recommend not purchasing these items.
harryp likes this.

2019 HEV Essential (Base model in Canada), Intense Blue
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-05-19, 07:40 PM
TRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryp View Post
Hi all,

I have just signed up here and I am looking for some advice on some extras my dealership has added on to the base price in a quote I've been given for a new Ioniq Electric Plus. Specifically, these are front and rear mud guards for CA$175 and 3M Door Edge Guards for CA$249. Any advice on whether I should get either of these and how the quoted prices look? I've seen edge guards advertised a lot cheaper than this and read that installation is easy so should I do them myself instead? I've also read that mud guards are counterproductive on an EV. Is the same true for a PHEV?

Thanks in advance for any advice given. I'm doing another test drive on the PHEV this week and will have to make a decision about whether or not to buy after that.

HP
A couple of comments:
First, as others have commented, manufacturers put a lot of effort into making cars work well, so adding bits to any car will likely degrade performance, efficiency, etc. so generally adding anything to a car is not a good idea, especially bits that increase drag.
However, there are some things that can be worthwhile BUT only if your particular circumstances warrant it. For instance when I lived in an area that had a lot of mud I thought mud flaps & carpets/mats were worth the loss. Mainly because I’m lazy & don’t like cleaning the car.
harryp likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-05-19, 12:42 AM

Mud flaps are very beneficial if you drive regularly on gravel roads. The gravel that hits your cars bottom is like sandblasting the protection away from vital metal parts and isn't covered by warranty in most cases.

If you drive mainly on other surfaces that don't have gravel, then mud flaps are a great waste of money.
LukeMB and harryp like this.

Ioniq EV MY19 Style with leather seats, phantom black
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-05-19, 12:53 AM

Garage
Those are very high prices. I would decline. I have not noticed that mud flaps are needed. You can install door edge guards yourself for less than $20 US. I bought a new Ioniq a few weeks ago in the US and only paid $129 admin fee. I hope this dealer is giving you a good price on the Ioniq, because they seem to be jacking up the prices on the items you mentioned. Good luck.
harryp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page