1548 mile review of my used Marina Blue ioniq PHEV. - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Moroniq
  • 1 Post By Bermah
  • 1 Post By Moroniq
  • 1 Post By Bermah

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-03-19, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

1548 mile review of my used Marina Blue ioniq PHEV.

On the 15 Feb I took delivery of an ex demo Ioniq PHEV with 6,600 miles on it. It was registered on 31/08/2018.

So far I have been very pleased with the car and it is extraordinarily inexpensive to run. I traded a September 2016 RAV 4 Hybrid to buy this car.

My usage is a 10 mile commute 5+5 and lots of journeys within 30 miles of my office and urban driving round Belfast. However, a few times a month I do longer journeys. My 3 Kids are all away from home now so I donít need a large car.

In the first 2/3 weeks of owning the car I was mainly doing short journeys and using home charging on the 13amp Lead and (mostly)public chargers here which are still free and the car was averaging 368mpg. I did a few longer runs (including a one charge 217 mile run in 4.5 hours at an average of 74mpg) in the teeth of storm Gareth and this dropped to 153 mpg. Since then with more typical usage MPG has risen to 195mpg. Cost to me so far has been £62 which is £42 of fuel and £20 of electricity. Plus ??? Of electricity from free charges. Therefore the cost per mile has been just over 4P. If I had paid for all of the electricity I reckon that the cost would be between 5 and 7P per mile.

Iíve now got a pod point so will probably do more home charging.

My Rav 4 hybrid over the same period @ 43mpg would have cost around £190 and my old Auris Hybrid at 60mpg would have been £140.

My car is premium spec. The only thing it does not have compared to the Rav that I miss is front parking sensors. I see a kit for front parking sensors listed at £372 on the Hyundai site if these integrated with the existing electronics that would be perfect.

Appearance of the car inc. Marina blue colour.
Economy.
Comfort.
Low wind noise.
Android Auto. The infotainment unit in general is much easier to use than the toyotaís.
Sport mode and flappy paddles for playing on the hills occasionally. (childish but good fun!)

Foibles that don't annoy me.

Pulsing of the brakes as the car changes down the DCT box when using re-gen braking.
No rear wash wipe. Thought it would annoy meÖ...does not!
Foot parking brake. Got used to it fairly quickly.

Dislikes

Road noise at motorway speeds. Tyres are Michelin energy saver+ . I drove 50K on these in my Toyota Auris TS and didnít notice they where particularly noisy. My daughter replaced the continentals on her Nissan Note with Kumho Ecowings and they were a lot quieter I my try these when time comes to replace the MichelinsÖÖ..it may be some time!
No spare. Iím not adverse to roadside repairs per se (Iím a lifelong motorcyclist!) but I prefer plug kits. However, this would require a jack which the Ioniq does not have. Still thinking about solutions to this.
The engine cutting in out in hybrid mode at low speed is not as seamless as toyotaís. Hoping that the latest software may help this??

That's it so far. A bit rambly sorry! Iím really pleased with the car overall. I am 58 and thinking of going full EV when I retire in a couple of years and so far this has let me get a feel for partial electric motoring with the safety net of an ICE.
David H, Jonboy and BlueBaron like this.

What we need are clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 Blue Ioniq PHEV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Mileage now up to 2734 lots of short journeys. Average mpg up to 249 mpg now. Will go down again as I have a 207 mile round trip coming up next week

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 Blue Ioniq PHEV
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 07:13 PM

Did you do the math as to when you will recoup the additional cost of PHEV vs. HEV? Before buying I did similar math for Ioniq HEV vs. comparably equipped Elantra, assuming gas price of $3.00 per US gallon. The break-even point turned out to be around 36k miles, 3 years for me. At current gas prices it’s more like 60k. I love the car, but not sure I’ll keep it that long.
bluecar1 likes this.

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg

Last edited by Bermah; 25-04-19 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-04-19, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermah View Post
Did you do the math as to when you will recoup the additional cost of PHEV vs. HEV? Before buying I did similar math for Ioniq HEV vs. comparably equipped Elantra, assuming gas price of $3.00 per US gallon. The break-even point turned out to be around 36k miles, 3 years for me. At current gas prices itís more like 60k. I love the car, but not sure Iíll keep it that long.
Your location shows that you are in the US so the PHEV would be eligible for a $4543 tax credit
HEV Base MSRP: $21,400
PHEV Base MSRP: $25,350 ($20,807 after tax credit)
So the comparison between the HEV and PHEV is mostly personal preference (IE: do you want to wait for the tax incentive)

As far as comparing the Elantra to the Ioniq - that is tough because of features like the heated seats and dual zone climate control that aren't available in the Elantra until you hit the value edition - What feature sets did you use to compare?

Massachusetts, US
2019 PHEV base model in black
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-04-19, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

In the U.K. Gasoline is £5.60 which is around $7.30 though our gallons are 20% larger. Off peak electricity is around 0.09p per kWh and I get around half my charges for free. The car is working out at about 3-4p per mile overall. A hybrid doing 60mpg uk would cost around 10p per mile. Break even on a new car would be difficult but I bought mine as an ex dealer demo with six thousand miles at a good price and less than the equivalent New HEV.
Bermah likes this.

2018 Blue Ioniq PHEV
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-04-19, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastera View Post
Your location shows that you are in the US so the PHEV would be eligible for a $4543 tax credit
HEV Base MSRP: $21,400
PHEV Base MSRP: $25,350 ($20,807 after tax credit)
So the comparison between the HEV and PHEV is mostly personal preference (IE: do you want to wait for the tax incentive)

As far as comparing the Elantra to the Ioniq - that is tough because of features like the heated seats and dual zone climate control that aren't available in the Elantra until you hit the value edition - What feature sets did you use to compare?
For me PHEV was out of question - no place to charge it overnight. I donít remember the exact numbers I was comparing, but the math is extremely simple. From MPG difference calculate the difference of fuel cost per mile. Take car price difference and divide it by this number and you get the break even point in miles. Assuming the hybrid costs $5000 more and is 20 MPG more efficient and fuel is at $3.00 per gallon, you get the break even point at around 33k miles.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-04-19, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
For me PHEV was out of question - no place to charge it overnight. I donít remember the exact numbers I was comparing, but the math is extremely simple. From MPG difference calculate the difference of fuel cost per mile. Take car price difference and divide it by this number and you get the break even point in miles. Assuming the hybrid costs $5000 more and is 20 MPG more efficient and fuel is at $3.00 per gallon, you get the break even point at around 33k miles.
Much the same here and ,given that the UK government has seen fit to remove incentives on all but EV , the break even point is even higher . Plus less boot space and no spare tyre ...not for me

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-04-19, 05:27 PM

Quote:

My reference to tough was not the math but comparative costs - If you are going to keep the car for only a few years then the residual value becomes a large factor.

2017 Ioniq Blue KBB trade in: $12,423
2017 Elantra SE KBB trade in: $10,466

So, you need to account for that $2000 in residual value in the break even calculations

For 2018:
Elantra SE: $11,191
Ioniq HEV: $14,800 (+$3609)
Ioniq PHEV: $16,424 (+$5233)

For short term ownership the PHEV cost after federal rebate is the same as an Elantra before you even calculate fuel savings (even if you never plug it in)

Massachusetts, US
2019 PHEV base model in black
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 27-04-19, 05:55 PM

Yeah, thatís a factor, but Ioniq was too new to predict what its resale value would be after 3-5 years.
pastera likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page