HEV battery only miles ? - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-19, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

HEV battery only miles ?

I know with the PHEV you get 29 electric miles

With the HEV does one get any of those electric miles or is that a feature of just the PHEV?

I am still agonizing HEV vs PHEV and whether it pays since Elecrtric Costs here in NY (Long Island (PSE&G) are prohibitively expensive

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-19, 01:05 PM

My HEV will usually start on the engine to warm up, then switch to electric, then switch to petrol or electric or both depending on driving style and terrain.
We do a lot of hill and urban driving so my mpg is sitting around 54mpg, on a run it gets to the low to high 60's.
The HEV uses every opportunity to charge the battery and you can usually "force" EV by letting off the accelerator and then going gently back on.
I have only covered 1500 miles in this vehicle so far though and expect better mpg going forwards.

Cheshire UK
Ioniq Premium SE HEV
Old 18-05-19, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like you are getting excellent MPG right here and now with your HEV !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-05-19, 07:39 PM

HEV EV miles are irrelevant. Even the downhill miles and regen miles derive from miles on ICE. But for the record, I believe the HEV battery capacity theoretically allows for 7 miles on EV.

But yes, you may not gain at all from the PHEV with high electricity cost unless you save significantly on the purchase price because of rebates. One other factor to consider though, if most of your miles are electric, there could be significant savings on maintenance.
billmi likes this.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
Old 19-05-19, 10:29 AM

Im sure ive read the maximum miles purely in EV mode is 3 miles. Ive managed 2.7 and thats really trying!.
I get an average MPG to a full tank of around 63 MPG.
But on a single journey, in warm weather, best ive had is 77.4 over 20 miles.
Old 19-05-19, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Is 77.4MPG US Miles per gallon or Kilometers per gallon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
Im sure ive read the maximum miles purely in EV mode is 3 miles. Ive managed 2.7 and thats really trying!.
I get an average MPG to a full tank of around 63 MPG.
But on a single journey, in warm weather, best ive had is 77.4 over 20 miles.
Old 19-05-19, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid2020 View Post
Is 77.4MPG US Miles per gallon or Kilometers per gallon?

If you check the user profile you will find that Mike81 lives in the UK so imperial miles and gallons. This demonstrates why it is important to put your location in your user profile.

Ioniq EV SE 2017 Platinum Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(UK spec)

Last edited by chui; 19-05-19 at 11:22 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 19-05-19, 11:45 AM

Sorry my mistake i should of said it was uk MPG. Sorry for the confusion
bluecar1 likes this.
Old 19-05-19, 11:50 AM

I've managed about 5 miles in EV mode in my HEV. Kind of irrelevant of course. Battery meter was not "full", and I was going 35 mph. With a full battery, and at 10 mph, seven and more is quite credible. I believe SEvans has reported over 10 miles on HEV battery (unless I'm getting mixed up with his later PHEV car) on a loop industrial road at sub 20 mph speeds. It is Hyundai's contention that 7 miles are possible (US rating) but without specifying conditions like speed and temperature.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
Old 19-05-19, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
Sorry my mistake i should of said it was uk MPG. Sorry for the confusion

Mike81 no need for you to appologise or quote units in your post as you have taken the trouble to put your location in your user profile. It is those that do not do this that lead to confusion.

Ioniq EV SE 2017 Platinum Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(UK spec)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in