HEV battery only miles ? - Page 4 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 02:33 AM

The point about Regen is that you are recovering energy that in a conventional ICE car is totally lost. This is a significant bonus.
billmi likes this.

Ioniq EV SE 2017 Platinum Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(UK spec)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 10:10 AM

Garage
Well put Chui. The people that are slinging around terms like idiot on this thread probably didnt think of that; but thats exactly what I and SEvans meant.
SEvans likes this.

Ioniq HEV Premium white. BRABUS smart forfour turbo black.Porsche 924S Guards Red(what else could it be?), Smart ForFour 1.3 AMT silver, Vindicator Vulcan V8 black, Sinclair C5 off white(and the whole vehicle really is off)
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 01:40 PM

https://x-engineer.org/automotive-en...sumption-bsfc/

Hybrids get mileage boosts by keeping the engine at the most efficient point in the BSFC curve for the current RPM - the computer also modulates the selected gear on order to maximize engine efficiency. The excess energy generated by this is used to charge the battery. When running on the battery, you are getting that 'saved' efficiency back ( minus battery losses)

As far as heads of state using EVs - not going to happen until you can charge as fast as topping off your fuel tank.
For the Trump comment about not taking a train - doesn't seem like you have ever been to the US, and specifically the DC area. The US is much different than Europe - things are spread out much more so public transit is tough except in the highest density cities.
I would actually like to see him take the metro - it would stall everything in DC for days (less days for them to raise taxes to pay for pet projects that achieve nothing more than gathering votes)
Bermah, JBSwiftus and billmi like this.

Massachusetts, US
2019 PHEV base model in black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coverman View Post
Well put Chui. The people that are slinging around terms like idiot on this thread probably didnt think of that; but thats exactly what I and SEvans meant.
Perhaps that is what you meant, but not what was said.
tenchiten likes this.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 05:03 PM

Garage
It's not my job to teach English comprehension

Ioniq HEV Premium white. BRABUS smart forfour turbo black.Porsche 924S Guards Red(what else could it be?), Smart ForFour 1.3 AMT silver, Vindicator Vulcan V8 black, Sinclair C5 off white(and the whole vehicle really is off)
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 08:47 PM

Quote:
The HEV doesn't rely on the petrol engine all the time for charging. Downhill and braking contribute quite significantly to recharging the battery
Quote:
It's not my job to teach English comprehension
One wonders how you can get up the hill, or get up to speed and then brake. All motive force comes from burning petrol. Some of that motive energy is saved by the battery and used later. I'd say it is a good thing you don't teach English comprehension (or physics). I will admit I cannot parse SEvans' contribution but he also seems to be trying to say that the battery charge doesn't come from running the engine in an HEV.
Bermah and AdamInKent like this.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 25-05-19, 02:43 AM

Garage
The concept of energy recovery is so simple.To put it into the terms that this forums juveniles might understand, if you return an empty soda bottle to obtain the deposit do you or do you not finally have more pocket money than you had prior to the return( provided that you haven't paid out for mind altering drugs in the meantime of course).

post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 25-05-19, 07:54 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
One wonders how you can get up the hill, or get up to speed and then brake. All motive force comes from burning petrol. Some of that motive energy is saved by the battery and used later. I'd say it is a good thing you don't teach English comprehension (or physics). I will admit I cannot parse SEvans' contribution but he also seems to be trying to say that the battery charge doesn't come from running the engine in an HEV.
No, that's NOT what I'm saying - If you want to put words in my mouth you'll need a dress and a ring, as only my wife gets to do that...

I have said very precisely what I mean. If you don't understand then you may `ask`, rather than `tell`. Happy to offer clarification for the hard-of-understanding...

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 25-05-19, 08:12 AM

Quote:
The concept of energy recovery is so simple.To put it into the terms that this forums juveniles might understand, if you return an empty soda bottle to obtain the deposit do you or do you not finally have more pocket money than you had prior to the return( provided that you haven't paid out for mind altering drugs in the meantime of course).
You had to pay for that bottle first, just as you had to climb the hill to go down. In the long run it’s zero gain game. What’s difficult in comprehending this?

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 25-05-19, 08:24 AM

Quote:
The bottle analogy only holds if you consider it only applies to bottles that you bought.

The HEV Ioniq can't find free empty energy bottles lying on the side of the road.

If you buy a bottle of soda (like buying a tank of gas) it costs money. If you return the bottle to get the deposit back (recovered energy) you have more money in your pocket at the end than if you didn't, so it's definitely the better thing to do, but you will never have more money in your pocket than when you started, because the only way you can have bottles to turn in is by buying full bottles to start with.

To extend the analogy, the PHEV is like having a supply of empty bottles also available. If you keep getting these empties and turning them in (plug in charging), you can drive without having to buy new, full bottles or depending on your driving needs, buying them less frequently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page