Partial charging question - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrick

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
R P

Partial charging question

I have a Kona EV that I am expecting to get on May 1. I have posed this question on the Kona forum, but activity there is pretty low (not a lot of Kona EV owners out there yet). So I thought I would ask it here as well.

Probably a dumb question, but I was reading the online manual and wondering how to do a partial charge, and it seems in conflict with my charger manual.

The Kona online manual says to unplug the cable at the car, you must confirm first that charging has stopped on the charging station display screen. My charger manual says to first unplug the car before unplugging the charger. So how do I do a partial charge and want to stop it before fully charged? Can I stop the charge at the car end before unplugging. Car manual doesn’t say how to do that. What am I missing here??...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 03:45 PM

Garage
First of all you need to clarify if you're refereeing to L1 (and) L2 charging or DCFC L3. On the Canadian IONIQ you can stop charging at any time as follows:

L1 and L2: Hit the unlock button either inside the vehicle or the FOB and then remove the cable from the charge port on the vehicle.

L3: Terminate the charge at the DCFC machine, then remove the cable from the charger port.

OB

Ou Boet
Langley, BC Canada
2018 IONIQ EV SE (with CCP) in Marina Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Since 16 Feb 2018)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 03:50 PM

Garage
This differs some per charger and even per brand.

On DC fastchargers after you started with an RFID card, you press your RFID card to the charger again and select stop on the display.

On regular chargers after you started with an RFID card, you press your RFID card to the charger again and the chargepoint switches off and unlocks your cable for you to pull it out.

On free chargers you press unlock from your car. The onboard charger pauses the charging and unlocks the cable for a few moments. You can confirm this by the sound the mechanism makes and also by the blinking of the charging indicator leds on the dash. If not pulled out it will re-lock and continue charging.

The only thing that counts is that when you pull the cable out, the charging current better be switched off to prolong the lifetime of the connector because of electrical sparks. In an emergency no problem, the connector is made to endure this lots of times under full load.

😃 2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium 😃

Last edited by Patrick; 25-04-19 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
R P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou Boet View Post
First of all you need to clarify if you're refereeing to L1 (and) L2 charging or DCFC L3. On the Canadian IONIQ you can stop charging at any time as follows:

L1 and L2: Hit the unlock button either inside the vehicle or the FOB and then remove the cable from the charge port on the vehicle.

L3: Terminate the charge at the DCFC machine, then remove the cable from the charger port.

OB
I referring to a L2 home charger. But you answered my question. IE, unlocking the door will stop the charging.

It raises another question, though. Does that mean that the doors have to be locked when charging? I thought it to insert the charge plug you needed the doors unlocked. But it doesn't say anything about locking them again to charge.

Again, sorry for the dumb questions. I'm sure all will be much clearer very quickly once I get my car.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 25-04-19, 04:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R P View Post
Does that mean that the doors have to be locked when charging? I thought it to insert the charge plug you needed the doors unlocked. But it doesn't say anything about locking them again to charge.
The doors don't have to be locked or unlocked to insert and start charging.
Just to save a button Hyundai put the function to unlock the charging connector to go with pressing the unlock button. Even when the doors are already unlocked.
Ou Boet likes this.

😃 2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium 😃

Last edited by Patrick; 25-04-19 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page