lowering springs - Page 3 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 06:39 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax_man View Post
All this talk of lowering suspension got me thinking it's old hat (out of fashion). Manufacturers are in the process of raising suspension. You only need to look at all the SUV style vehicles on the road now. Even Ford have raised the Focus by 30mm and called it the Focus Active.

My opinion is 'slammed' cars look ridiculous and are not practical with the state of the roads.

Associated with `boy racers` and drug-dealers, as I mentioned.
Not at all the association we want for Ionic owners, surely ? Not even the drug-smuggling, boy racer few?

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
but dropping only 20-30 mm is not slammed, and a mild cosmetic modification, combined with a new set of wheels / rims could look good

as the Ioniq become older, 2nd hand cars more affordable and warranties coming to an end we will see more mods like this being done

while not to everyones liking lets keep it friendly and helpful as we are an inclusive forum, as the modding community are often the ones to start finding things like electronic settings to unlock features etc which may be of use to normal users

I often see slammed cars round here, and they are often done badly as the camber is way way off and the car looks like bambi

but the yoof who drive them think they look cool

I do wonder how often they have to replace the tyres due to uneven wear on the inside of the tyre when the outer edge is not worn at all

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax_man View Post
All this talk of lowering suspension got me thinking it's old hat (out of fashion). Manufacturers are in the process of raising suspension. You only need to look at all the SUV style vehicles on the road now. Even Ford have raised the Focus by 30mm and called it the Focus Active.

My opinion is 'slammed' cars look ridiculous and are not practical with the state of the roads.
To a point, lower vehicles handle more safely. Period. And that point has always up to an inch or two lower than a standard sedan/saloon car. Which is why performance oriented vehicles sit lower to the ground straight from the factory. Some, who are accustomed to a chassis that is not sloppy, will prefer that ride height for practical reasons, such as obstacle avoidance. As an illustration, sedans and coupes traditionally fare far better in the "moose test" than any crossover or SUV, and this is almost entirely due to ride height.

What seems ridiculous and not practical is manufacturers raising suspensions for road-faring vehicles which will never even see a dirt track, compromising vehicle handling and performance so passengers can feel "safer" by riding up high.

A 10-20mm drop is not slammed. It's hardly noticeable at a glance. But if you consider that mild modification ridiculous and not practical, I suggest that to many people it would be considered traditional (and consistent with the laws of physics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
but dropping only 20-30 mm is not slammed, and a mild cosmetic modification, combined with a new set of wheels / rims could look good
T.h.a.n.k__y.o.u__f.o.r__g.e.t.t.i.n.g__i.t.

Quote:
as the Ioniq become older, 2nd hand cars more affordable and warranties coming to an end we will see more mods like this being done

while not to everyones liking lets keep it friendly and helpful as we are an inclusive forum, as the modding community are often the ones to start finding things like electronic settings to unlock features etc which may be of use to normal users
Like the people who figured out how to unlock the range extender tank in the BMW i3 REX from (I believe) 1.7 gallons to a much more helpful 2.4 gallons in the US market. Or how the traction control on a Volkswagen can be modified with a software setting so it is truly "off" instead of "limited" when your VSC button is pressed. Clearly tinkerers outsmarting the manufacturer's arbitrary constraints can be a benefit for all, especially when warranties are expired and these are simply old cars that drivers want to make as useful as possible. Welcome the gurus into the fold, it simply means electrification is going mainstream.

Quote:
I often see slammed cars round here, and they are often done badly as the camber is way way off and the car looks like bambi

but the yoof who drive them think they look cool

I do wonder how often they have to replace the tyres due to uneven wear on the inside of the tyre when the outer edge is not worn at all
Thankfully the Honda Civic exists, as this (at least in U.S. market) seems to attract the brunt of the "modifications in poor taste" aka "stance car" crowd, sparing other innocent vehicles from similar abuse. And yes the tire wear must get expensive quickly. I doubt you'll ever see this on an Ioniq, and I don't believe anyone here has suggested it.
bluecar1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 01:01 PM

Lowering a car and knowing how it effects that specific vehicles drag is basically impossible to know without doing physical testing (or a well done sim).

There are conflicting forces at play and it really is impossible to know which has a greater effect.

Tires are extremely unaerodynamic, so hiding them further in the wheel wells should reduce their drag.

Smooth airfoils are generally very low drag, until you get them very close to the ground where a resulting 'ground effect' from the reduced volume can cause an increase in drag. Race cars leverage this effect to create downforce and stick the car to the road.

Every car has some transition point where the loss in drag from hiding the tires is overcome by the gain in drag from squeezing the air underneath the car.

Generally, the skinnier your tires the less advantage there is to hiding them. And, generally, the smoother a car is the less advantage there is to lowering it closer to the ground.

The Ioniq seems to slot well into the category of lowering it will likely not improve its drag coefficient from a cursory inspection.

Some cars do see huge drag benefits when lowered. NASCAR teams try and get their cars as close to the ground as possible since in their application it could be worth 1/2mph at 200 mph.

Solar Eco cars generally sit very high off the ground and use an airfoil shape to reduce shape drag as much as possible.
bluecar1 and Iconiq like this.

2019 SEL HEV (US Model)
Seattle, WA
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-04-19, 01:29 PM

@Iconiq I take your point, but many people lower cars without any clue of what they are doing. Many think that fitting coilovers and doing nothing else is ok. Manufacturers go to the trouble and a much expense of tuning suspension for optimal performance and ride quality only for some toe-rag to think he/she knows better. Many don't even bother to have the car geometry checked/adjusted after their "improvements".

In the UK it is actually illegal to modify a car if that modification does not have type approval, but many ignore this and go ahead anyway, either through ignorance or not caring. (Not that anyone would prosecute you)

Saying all that though, if the modification is of high quality and moreover safe, then where is the problem. It's just I find lowering cars is not to my taste.
bluecar1 and Iconiq like this.

2018 PHEV Premium SE in Marina Blue
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
Don't, the overhang at the front already grounds the skirt on speed humps. I have a very steep drive and already have to take care.

Plus you have no idea what it will do to the aerodynamics and handling.

You haven't bought a sports car. Just accept it!
Been there and done it on my BMW 325ci and it looked great.
On the ioniq I (surprisingly) agree with SE Evans...
chunga68 likes this.

Cheshire UK
Ioniq Premium SE HEV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page