Which ACEA spec oil are you (your dealer) using? - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
View Poll Results: Which ACEA specification oil is used in your ioniq?
ACEA A5/B5 1 33.33%
ACEA C3 1 33.33%
Other 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-05-19, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Which ACEA spec oil are you (your dealer) using?

I've seen in the user manual for my Hybrid that ACEA A5/B5 oil is recommended, however, having just had my first service, a quick glance at the invoice shows that they used ACEA C3. They also gave me ACEA C3 oil with the car in the delivery pack. The main difference between the two specifications is the high-temperature high-shear viscosity at 150 C which has to be between 2.9 cP and 3.5 cP for A5 and >3.5 cP for C3.

Now, here's the interesting bit: my fuel economy average is around 5 L/100 km. I do not drive the car hard, but I have the following mitigating factors: 95E10 fuel, 17" wheels, Michelin Primacy 3 tyres (not energy saver). So I start to wonder whether the C3 grade oil is also a contributing factor to the fuel economy that I'm seeing. Having said that, in the last week I'm getting 4.5 l/100 km now that the average temperatures are between 10 and 20 C.

So here's the question, which spec oil are you/your dealer using with your ioniq?

PS I'm using SAE 5w30, but I didn't want to complicate the poll further.

2018 Hybrid Executive (Fiery Red)

Last edited by SynthSam; 18-05-19 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-05-19, 07:46 PM

Shear strength should mostly make a difference in oil performance during extended oil change periods (I think, but I'm not an engineer). But oil viscosity makes a relatively small difference in efficiency compared to your wheel size and tires, you may not even notice it. But if you are doing small wheels with efficient tires, and driving efficiently, oil will make a real difference. What you should be using no matter what in the climate you live in is 0-20 weight oil. No argument for higher viscosity oils.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just as seen in other posts from UK (and others from europe), 5W30 is recommended here for the ioniq and 0W20 does not even get a mention in the temperature/SAE viscosity selection chart in the manual. If I look at other websites for oil selection vs ambient temperature 0W20 only appears to be necessary below -20 C, which is about as likely in western Belgium as 55 C. I appreciate that that is the recommended weight elsewhere, but while my car is in warranty, it will get what the dealership puts in it, which will never be 0W20. A quick look at the Shell website (as hyundai recommend/use Shell Helix) reveals why 0w20 is not used here: there is only one 0W20 oil in their range (here) and it only meets ACEA A1/B1 which was obsoleted in 2016.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 11:52 AM

0-20 is certainly not necessary, but will result in best efficiency. That is the spec for the identical car in the US (in all of our climates).

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, I am aware that it is the spec for the US, but just to play devils advocate: you have much shorter oil change intervals in the US, so perhaps you can get away with a lower starting viscosity because your oil is never so old as in a car here in the EU.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 12:51 PM

I looked mine up and for my UK vehicle 0W20 is recommended.

Cheshire UK
Ioniq Premium SE HEV
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchiten View Post
I looked mine up and for my UK vehicle 0W20 is recommended.
Do you have a 2019? Do they still recommend Shell Helix in the owner's manual? If you don't have a 2019 (or maybe even if you do), have you had it serviced and do you know from your service invoice which oil was used during the service? Apparently, my dealer used Shell Helix AX 5w30, which is superseded Mercedes Benz spec ACEA C3 and A3 compliant oil.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 01:55 PM

It is a 2019 and I only collected in March so no service due yet.

Cheshire UK
Ioniq Premium SE HEV
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ah, OK. I had a look at the 2019 manual from the US online and they're specifying ACEA C2 which makes sense. It has lower viscosity like A5 spec, but is suitable for vehicles with particulate filters, which I believe the 2019 hybrid should have.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthSam View Post
Yes, I am aware that it is the spec for the US, but just to play devils advocate: you have much shorter oil change intervals in the US, so perhaps you can get away with a lower starting viscosity because your oil is never so old as in a car here in the EU.
Our oil change interval is 7,500 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page