Integrated Brake Actuation unit replacement. - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-08-18, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Pattflem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Integrated Brake Actuation unit replacement.

I wanted to pass along something to everyone about a repair I just had completed under warranty. In talking with the dealer the Hyundai techline told them that this was the first that they have heard of thus particular issue. This is on my 2017 Ioniq SEL (U.S.).
Currently I have 34,000 miles on mine. But somewhere around the 12,000 mile mark I started noticing a rather obnoxious squeaking noise related to the brakes. When this first started it happened so intermittently that I did not bother bringing it in to the dealer. I could not duplicate it on the regular so it would have gotten the dreaded "unable to duplicate customer complaint at this time, vehicle performing as designed". I've typed that enough times during my dealership career, definitely didn't want to see it come back my way.
After say 10,000 more miles I was able to make it happen more often then not when pushing the brake pedal to take the car out of park. It would never make that noise if it was not in Park. Braking always seemed to function properly. As I am apparently a glutton for punishment the noise had not gotten nearly annoying enough for me to have it looked at yet.
So 10,000 miles more and the squeaking would now happen everytime when shifting out of Park. And it would also happen when pushing the pedal to start the car, and also with the car off and just pumping the brake pedal.
I brought it to the dealer last week. It ended up being a phone call to the tech line. Initially they were told to go through a 15 page long procedure which ended in a brake system bleed. Noise was still unchanged. After that techline advised them to order up and install the Integrated Brake Actuation Unit. I'm told by the dealer that this ended up being a $2000 part. Flat rate time was right about 2.5 hours, though since no one at the dealer had ever done this repair yet it took them the better part of the day.
Just wanted to post this in case anyone else run into it and the dealer either can't duplicate it, or has no idea how to get it fixed.
My Ioniq is my office and I usually drive around 30-35,000 miles per year. I would assume I put it through much more driving than alot of people do in 3 years.
For the noise itself it can be heard both inside and outside of the car. It comes from the area of where the master cylinder would be in a standard brake system. It is definitely not something you would confuse the brake pedal squeaking with, and not like a brake pad squeaking. More like the insanely annoying squeakers in dog toys that I refuse to let my dogs play with.
If anyone is needing it I do have the techline case #.
Patrick likes this.
Pattflem is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-08-18, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,798
Sorry to ask, but did it fix the problem? What exactly was making the noise?

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
yticolev is online now  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-08-18, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Pattflem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Yup it did fix the problem. I never got any exact reason why it was happening or how. But replacing the Brake Actuation Unit stopped it from happening. And there isn't any different feel to the brakes or any other noticable difference other than that insanely annoying noise is gone.
bluecar1 likes this.
Pattflem is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 20-08-18, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
ktm29564's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Posts: 117
Toyota has had a lot of issues with brake actuators. Maybe the same OEM as the Ioniq?

Keith

2014 Lexus LS460
1999 Lexus RX300
2018 Hyundai Ioniq
ktm29564 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 18-11-18, 02:48 PM
Cha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fairfield County, CT, US
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattflem View Post
I wanted to pass along something to everyone about a repair I just had completed under warranty. In talking with the dealer the Hyundai techline told them that this was the first that they have heard of thus particular issue. This is on my 2017 Ioniq SEL (U.S.).
Currently I have 34,000 miles on mine. But somewhere around the 12,000 mile mark I started noticing a rather obnoxious squeaking noise related to the brakes. When this first started it happened so intermittently that I did not bother bringing it in to the dealer. I could not duplicate it on the regular so it would have gotten the dreaded "unable to duplicate customer complaint at this time, vehicle performing as designed". I've typed that enough times during my dealership career, definitely didn't want to see it come back my way.
After say 10,000 more miles I was able to make it happen more often then not when pushing the brake pedal to take the car out of park. It would never make that noise if it was not in Park. Braking always seemed to function properly. As I am apparently a glutton for punishment the noise had not gotten nearly annoying enough for me to have it looked at yet.
So 10,000 miles more and the squeaking would now happen everytime when shifting out of Park. And it would also happen when pushing the pedal to start the car, and also with the car off and just pumping the brake pedal.
I brought it to the dealer last week. It ended up being a phone call to the tech line. Initially they were told to go through a 15 page long procedure which ended in a brake system bleed. Noise was still unchanged. After that techline advised them to order up and install the Integrated Brake Actuation Unit. I'm told by the dealer that this ended up being a $2000 part. Flat rate time was right about 2.5 hours, though since no one at the dealer had ever done this repair yet it took them the better part of the day.
Just wanted to post this in case anyone else run into it and the dealer either can't duplicate it, or has no idea how to get it fixed.
My Ioniq is my office and I usually drive around 30-35,000 miles per year. I would assume I put it through much more driving than alot of people do in 3 years.
For the noise itself it can be heard both inside and outside of the car. It comes from the area of where the master cylinder would be in a standard brake system. It is definitely not something you would confuse the brake pedal squeaking with, and not like a brake pad squeaking. More like the insanely annoying squeakers in dog toys that I refuse to let my dogs play with.
If anyone is needing it I do have the techline case #.
I've the exact same problem. I haven't notice it till recently around 30,000 miles. I can hear it half of the time when I press the brake pedal to start the car of to shift the gear out of Park, exactly the same symptom. I would be appreciated if you can PM me the case number. Thanks.

2017 Hyundai ioniq hybrid SEL with tech package. Summit Grey.
Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Cha is online now  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 27-11-18, 10:01 AM
Cha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fairfield County, CT, US
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
I've the exact same problem. I haven't notice it till recently around 30,000 miles. I can hear it half of the time when I press the brake pedal to start the car of to shift the gear out of Park, exactly the same symptom. I would be appreciated if you can PM me the case number. Thanks.
Just got the paperwork, my dealer said the noise come from Shifter Lock Solenoid. I'm not so sure if it the same thing as integrated Brake Actuator. Any idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000059_001.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	28124  

2017 Hyundai ioniq hybrid SEL with tech package. Summit Grey.
Bridgeport, CT U.S.
Cha is online now  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 27-11-18, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
ktm29564's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
Shifter Lock Solenoid. I'm not so sure if it the same thing as integrated Brake Actuator. Any idea?
No, they are different.
Cha likes this.

Keith

2014 Lexus LS460
1999 Lexus RX300
2018 Hyundai Ioniq
ktm29564 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-11-18, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
 
bluecar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 7,440
Garage
the shift lock solenoid is what stops you moving the gear leaver out of park without your foot on the brake

the integrated Brake Actuator if the unit behind the brake peddle that give the resistance you feel when the car is regen braking and also when you push further down on the brake works the mechanical brakes the same as normal cars
Cha likes this.

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluecar1 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-12-18, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Kent/Edenbridge
Posts: 186
mines currently in for its 50.000 mile service.
I mentioned the noise and iv just had a call to from them to state my INTEGRATED BRAKE ACTUATION UNIT requires replacement.
As it's around 2000 there waiting on authorisation.
As well as the noise iv noticed the brake peddle has become far to soft for my liking which they day is the same issue.

Ironic Premium SE. Hybrid.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Westkent is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 15-01-19, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Kent/Edenbridge
Posts: 186
Had a call from dealer.
Part is in and they want it for two days.
Apparently the book says 6/7 hrs.
Front end needs taking out was their words.

Ironic Premium SE. Hybrid.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Westkent is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acronyms and Abbreviations - FAQ/list knutsp Hyundai IONIQ General Discussion 15 02-04-19 05:25 PM
Therefore, many electric cars have a brake problem knutsp General Automotive 1 05-04-18 07:43 AM
Brake Inspection martniq 2017+ Hyundai IONIQ Service And Maintenance 16 21-03-18 10:31 AM
Media Unit Replacement chunga68 Hyundai IONIQ Hybrid 32 20-05-17 12:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome