Installed an oil catch can on my Ioniq HEV - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-18, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Installed an oil catch can on my Ioniq HEV

There are plenty of information on the internet about carbon build up on intake valve on GDI engine and one of the ways to reduce the build up is to install a catch can between PCV and intake manifold.

Thought I share some pictures of the oil catch can installed on my Ioniq Hybrid to give some idea to those who are interested to install one on their Ioniq HEV or PHEV.

Things I bought for installation of the catch can :
Mishimoto Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can, 2-Port, some 3/8 fuel line, 2 brass 3/8" barbed adapter, 1 brass 3/8" barbed splicer, 4mm thick aluminum plate measuring about 100x26mm in size, some screw, nuts and washers for mounting.

Included in the attached pictures is drawing of the aluminum mount I made for my friend who helped cut, bend and drill the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180810_163608.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	27124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180810_162745.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	27126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180810_162718.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	27128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180810_162026.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	27130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180810_161940.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	27132  

Name:	IMG_20180810_161429.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	27134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180522_204725.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	27136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180522_200440.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	27138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180518_134743.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	27140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catch_Can_Mounting_Bracket.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	27144  

cowpuc likes this.

2017 White Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
Penang, Malaysia

Last edited by waichet; 10-08-18 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Uploaded with better quality pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-18, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Oil collected after traveling about 1500 km from last drain. I've done 5500km on my Ioniq HEV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180810_163010.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	27122  

Penang, Malaysia
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-18, 09:36 AM

lokks like a good mod! but how is your warranty affected? hyundai could say engine warrant affected as oil mist/vapour should be burnt off and is an upper cylinder lubricant!

tony leckenby
warrington uk
2017 prem se plug in (that lovely blue color)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-18, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyleckenby View Post
lokks like a good mod! but how is your warranty affected? hyundai could say engine warrant affected as oil mist/vapour should be burnt off and is an upper cylinder lubricant!

The only reason oil mist/vapor is send back into the combustion chamber is so that its burned off as exhaust gas which is better for environment than venting it to atmosphere (cars manufactured prior to 1960s does that). Feeding those oil back to the intake manifold would actually cause more problem in long run especially knowing that with direct injection engine, there is no fuel sprayed (acting as cleaning agent) on the intake valve and without anything to clean the valve those oil from PCV caught on the intake valve would turn to gunk and build up over time.

I have yet to send my car for servicing since I installed the catch can. The way I have the catch can is installed is easily reversible if I'm worry about warranty. I did however came across experience shared by others on another forum (hyundai volester) with catch can installed and have their car serviced at hyundai without any problem, but I guess its subjective to the person working on your car at the service center.
bluecar1 and cowpuc like this.

Penang, Malaysia
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-18, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waichet View Post
The only reason oil mist/vapor is send back into the combustion chamber is so that its burned off as exhaust gas which is better for environment than venting it to atmosphere (cars manufactured prior to 1960s does that). Feeding those oil back to the intake manifold would actually cause more problem in long run especially knowing that with direct injection engine, there is no fuel sprayed (acting as cleaning agent) on the intake valve and without anything to clean the valve those oil from PCV caught on the intake valve would turn to gunk and build up over time.

I have yet to send my car for servicing since I installed the catch can. The way I have the catch can is installed is easily reversible if I'm worry about warranty. I did however came across experience shared by others on another forum (hyundai volester) with catch can installed and have their car serviced at hyundai without any problem, but I guess its subjective to the person working on your car at the service center.
The real reason for the PCV system is to Ventilate the crankcase. Blowby gasses are exhaust gasses that make it past the piston rings and that happens on every engine cycle from every piston. These gases contain Hydrocarbons, CO, and NOx along with mostly water vapor and CO2. Everything except the CO2 tends to accelerate the deterioration rate of the oil in the crankcase. A properly design PCV system constantly purges the crankcase with fresh air that is metered by the PCV valve, and is driven by the vacuum in the intake manifold. The engine is designed with oil mist separators in the path to the PCV valve, but these are not completely effective, so a small percentage of the oil droplets in the PCV flow path make it past the built-in oil droplet separator. The aftermarket catch can captures the rest of them. The effectiveness of the catch can will be highly deoendent on how well the factory system is designed and how hard the engine is run.

Dave
bluecar1, mtkupp, waichet and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-18, 04:01 PM

Garage
For competition use a catch tank is compulsory, but its main purpose is in case of catastrophic piston or ring failure, to catch the oil rather than letting it get onto the track.The tank volume must exceed the capacity of one cylinder.
bluecar1 likes this.

Ioniq HEV Premium white. BRABUS smart forfour turbo black.Porsche 924S Guards Red(what else could it be?), Smart ForFour 1.3 AMT silver, Vindicator Vulcan V8 black, Sinclair C5 off white(and the whole vehicle really is off)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 19-08-18, 04:13 PM

I swear you need 2 catch cans 1 for PCV and other for line behind motor as it goes to throttle body.

I put mine in different location with a bracket I made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180819_130813.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	27264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180819_130800.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	27266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180819_130809.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	27268  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 20-08-18, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmikev View Post
I swear you need 2 catch cans 1 for PCV and other for line behind motor as it goes to throttle body.

Technically that is correct. The PCV system has 2 lines. 1 between the engine and the intake manifold whcih includes the PCV valve. This is the line that flows most of the crankcase fumes because it operates when the engine is at low to medium power. Flow is from the engine t other intake manifold through the PCV valve. During this operation the breather line (from the air cleaner) flows fresh air in from the aircleaner to ventilate the crankcase with air. At higher loads, the intake manifold vacuum goes to near zero and the blowby gas flow rate (past each piston) goes up, and so the crankcase fumes flow out the breather tube to the aircleaner. If you hardly ever run at high power levels you won't catch any oil in the breather line.

Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-08-18, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I have yet to ran my car on full throttle. The following pdf talks about different setup and in what situation another catch can on the breather will be beneficial from keeping oil and vapor recirculating back to your engine intake. I came across this when I was researching for catch can for my ioniq hybrid.

https://www.shophemi.com/images/medi..._ccv_bible.pdf

Penang, Malaysia
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-08-18, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Also, I like how short your hose route from PCV to catch can then to the intake. I was wondering if I should mount it at where you're mounting your catch can to shorten the route from PCV back to intake, if that will actually improve anything?

Penang, Malaysia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page