Installed an oil catch can on my Ioniq HEV - Page 2 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 04:25 PM

Garage
If anyone doubts that we need at least one oil catch can then this will give you a fair view on GDI engines and where the gunk goes...

Also starring the hyundai GDI engine....

2017 PHEV. Offsetting my RX-8 use with my marina blue IONIQ Plugin hybrid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 24-05-19, 04:29 PM

I don't have 20 mins to watch a video and I don't know what this relates to...
Maybe a short post would be better ?

Cheshire UK
Ioniq Premium SE HEV
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 25-05-19, 07:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchiten View Post
I don't have 20 mins to watch a video and I don't know what this relates to...
Maybe a short post would be better ?
Maybe... modern life, who'd have one...

At the risk of repeating all the info from the rest of the thread... and placing "plenty of info about the issue on Google" on here.

Direct injection engines fire fuel direct into the cylinder NOT INTO THE INLET MANIFOLD, so any oil that gets evaporated along with blow by fuel and travels from the crankcase through the emmisions pipework back to the air intake. Any of this vapour that does not get burnt at ignition ends up in the air intake system as an oily crud in the inlet manifold and on the back of the inlet valves, valve seats and valve stems.

Additives in fuel will not clean this crud but will help the expensive injectors.

A well fitted sealed catch can with baffles will help remove 95% of the crud that gets sent to the air intake. The pipework works under vacuum conditions and will upset the engine, if the catch can does not keep this vacuum in place.

Getting a garage to blast some ground nut shell's through the intake area with the valves shut every 30k miles also helps clear the crud.

You can also spray a cleaning additive into the air intake after the MAF sensor... to soften and remove the carbon build up... And driving like you stole it... Or was that another video...

The hyundai GDI engine features at 4 mins 40 secs but Direct injection features in first 2 mins before the alternatives...

"So you don't have to"

2017 PHEV. Offsetting my RX-8 use with my marina blue IONIQ Plugin hybrid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 25-05-19, 09:50 AM

Migration to DI on new cars was the primary reason I paused buying new ICE cars and just kept driving my older port injection ones(thankfully with a lot of life left in those) and moved on to EV. If I Would own the car with DI engine, I would put oil catch without much of hesitation, as I keep my cars for very long time. Not doing it - would be very pricey, because of it would happen right after warranty expires. I am not compelled to buy any used car with DI engine, because of it would have contaminated intake already. Really sad situation.

Traded Leaf 15 SV(CPO) for Ioniq EV 19 Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page