Brake Issue - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 20-01-18, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Brake Issue

I have had this odd clicking noise coming from the front area of the drivers side when applying the brakes. It has been happening since September 2017. I got the car in March 2017. The first time in for the issue the dealer acknowledges the issue and says there is something wrong but they do not have a fix for it. After having the car for a week they gave it back to me with no fix. That was in December. I returned the car to them two weeks ago and they said that Tech department said to change the INTEGRATED BRAKE ACTUATION UNIT, they did and the noise is still there. They say that the part must be re engineered to fix the issue. I am bringing it back next week again. Can others please see if they hear this noise, press the brake pedal repeatedly to see if you can hear the clicking/opening of a valve or something. It is really bothersome in this car. The dealer did say that they heard it in another.
The car does not need to be on to hear the noise.
2017 Hybrid ioniq

Last edited by mess472; 20-01-18 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 20-01-18, 11:18 PM
Cha

My car make the same noise, but it seems to come from rear-driver side wheel. I dropped it at the dealership to get it checked, the dealer said it is normal. They said it is the sound of electronic breaking handing over. My car still making this noise every single time I put my foot on the break regardless of gear position.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 21-01-18, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
My car make the same noise, but it seems to come from rear-driver side wheel. I dropped it at the dealership to get it checked, the dealer said it is normal. They said it is the sound of electronic breaking handing over. My car still making this noise every single time I put my foot on the break regardless of gear position.
Does this happen even if you brake gently, ie just using Regen, or does it happen only when you brake hard and introduce mechanical wheel braking?

Ioniq EV SE 2017 Platinum Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(UK spec)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 21-01-18, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
yep, noise is like heavy relays click open/shut, I only hear it when stopped and ICE not running (don't matter if the car is "turned on" or not )

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 21-01-18, 05:47 AM

Garage
Never noticed this in my EV. Can this be caused by the hydraulic lines becoming pressurised, or brakes starting to move? Maybe something is not running smoothly.
Does this also happen when the car is completely off (power breaking off)?

Is the power-breaking setup of the hybrid and EV the same? Maybe making use of an electrical hydraulic pump and an accumulator?

😃 2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium 😃

Last edited by Patrick; 21-01-18 at 06:29 AM.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 21-01-18, 09:44 AM
Cha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chui View Post
Does this happen even if you brake gently, ie just using Regen, or does it happen only when you brake hard and introduce mechanical wheel braking?
This happen EVERY SINGLE TIME I put my foot on the break pedal. I can even make a song out of it, a simple song like we'll rock you type of song.
mess472 likes this.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 21-01-18, 09:45 AM
Cha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
yep, noise is like heavy relays click open/shut, I only hear it when stopped and ICE not running (don't matter if the car is "turned on" or not )
Good point Bluecar, it did sound like a relay click.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 21-01-18, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
easiest way I can describe the noise,

I assumed it was something to do with regen, can't say if it was there from new or just recently

normally radio on loud enough to cover it

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 21-01-18, 10:12 AM

Garage
Just ideas;
When the car is not running and standing stil, I can imagine the electrical oilpump on the active hydraulic booster (mentioned in the fuses list) is switched off to save 12V power when there is enough reserve pressure in the accumulator. When the break pedal is pressed, oil is used and the pump would be started to supplement this. Switching would be done by a relais and a valve would open to supply the oil.
But would this setup always be switched on and be noticeable in the cabin?

Last edited by Patrick; 21-01-18 at 10:52 AM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 22-01-18, 12:32 PM

Garage
Just tested in the EV.
When the car is on, acc or off, in drive or neutral. In silence I can hear a pump running a few seconds when I press the break pedal hard. No clicking or switching noises at all. It just runs on the 12V battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page