Tested: my Ioniq vs my wife’s Kia Niro - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 16-10-18, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tested: my Ioniq vs my wife’s Kia Niro

Ioniq SEL 2018 , Niro 2017 EX
Ioniq has paddle shifters( I don’t really use them), Niro has automatic folding mirrors.
Seats not to comfortable, but Niro’s look better.
Steering flat bottom Ioniq vs round for Niro, I prefer the round one. My wife thinks Ioniq steering feel is lighter and more precise, may be because the Ioniq is lighter and lower center of gravity?
Cabin noise is about the same. Michelin energy saver on both, Niro has 16 inch vs 15 for Ioniq.
Ioniq has blue light for dials/radio, Niro has red, I like the blue.
Temperature controls on the Ioniq get pushed by me anytime I’m reaching in the “ash tray”, Niro doesn’t have the same problem , but is also missing the small screen for controls. You have to push a button to display it on the 7 inch screen.
“Display off”on Ioniq, single button, Niro: you have to press Setup to get to the function: display off.
My wife thinks Niro looks better and I agree
Niro no power seat, my wife and I prefer this and its faster anyway.
Audio system sounds better in Niro.
More trunk space in the Ioniq.....way more.
The shifter in the Ioniq is nicer, trigger pull, compared to push button from the side in Niro.
On the same road, Ioniq stays EV longer and more often than Niro, maybe that explains the 10 mpg more on the Ioniq. 65 vs 55 mpg.
Not sure why, but my wife always gets better mileage in both cars than me, I tought that women are supposed to be “bad drivers”
In short if we’ll have to do it again, I will still get the Ioniq and my wife, still the Niro.
I will keep adding stuff once I notice it.
Thanks
bluecar1, ds093, howayee and 1 others like this.

Dny,
2018 Ioniq SEL, hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 07:17 AM

We also tested both. My wife prefers Niro's look but got sick during the test drive. That was OK for me because the Niro is more expensive and I prefer the look of the Ioniq.
bluecar1 likes this.

Herto, Gray Iron Ioniq plug-in in North east of France

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 08:58 AM

The Niro weighs about 100 pounds more than the similarly trimmed Ioniq - not much for a handling difference by itself. However, the Ioniq has a significantly lower center of gravity and that should be very noticeable driving them back to back.

One major difference (especially if older or fatter or other mobility issues) is seat height. The Niro is far easier to get into. While I've never thought of myself as older (or fatter), a recent drive in an econobox with seat height similar to the Ioniq was eye opening, not comfortable at all. My last car which I owned for the last 17 years had a similar seat height to the Niro so I didn't notice the difference at all. It is now my belief that a good bit of the current crossover craze is because of the ease of entry. Had I known, that might have been a selling point of the Niro for me as well (interior space was better for my bicycle needs than the Ioniq).

I have a very obese friend who drives a Toyota Echo because of the similar seat height. Although the Echo is a very small car, it is also an odd shaped tall and narrow car with a good bit of ground clearance and seat height similar to crossovers. I think SUVs are easier as well, despite a climb up to sit in them. That is still better than dropping into a normal car.
bluecar1 likes this.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 01:07 PM

Garage
Very nice comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr1usklr View Post
Ioniq has paddle shifters( I don’t really use them), Niro has automatic folding mirrors.
I have never had a car with paddle shifters, (the 2017 didn't come with them), so I really have no idea whether I'd use them or not. As for the auto-folding mirrors, I wish the Ioniq had these on their Canadian models, as I back into a rather tight space in my garage every day, and it'd be nice to be able to fold both mirrors in automatically.

Interesting. Are you saying they're not too comfortable in either vehicle? Either way, I have found my Ioniq's seats, the most comfortable I've had in a car I've owned, mind you I did go for the Limited trim with leather seats; but my dad's Elantra also has leather seats, and I didn't find them as comfortable.

Steering flat bottom Ioniq vs round for Niro, I prefer the round one. My wife thinks Ioniq steering feel is lighter and more precise, may be because the Ioniq is lighter and lower center of gravity?
I quite like the flat bottom, D-cut steering wheel...maybe just because it's something different...feels sportier...

Cabin noise is about the same. Michelin energy saver on both, Niro has 16 inch vs 15 for Ioniq.
I do too.

Temperature controls on the Ioniq get pushed by me anytime I’m reaching in the “ash tray”, Niro doesn’t have the same problem , but is also missing the small screen for controls. You have to push a button to display it on the 7 inch screen.
"Ashtray?" Or do you mean the area in front of the 12V and USB access ports? I haven't found this a problem myself, mind you, I just generally keep my iPod down there and rarely reach down.

“Display off”on Ioniq, single button, Niro: you have to press Setup to get to the function: display off.
I like having that single button as well, even though I rarely find myself using it.

I must confess, I`ve never actually seen a Niro in person, but I very, very, very much like the look of the Ioniq. I especially like the fact that it`s a liftback instead of a vertical hatchback, and when it`s closed, you can`t necessarily tell that it`s a hatchback at all from a distance.

Definite advantage there, but I do find more precision with the powered seat and you can make more minute adjustments

Trunk space is definitely advantage to the Ioniq.

The shifter in the Ioniq is nicer, trigger pull, compared to push button from the side in Niro.
Nice observation.

On the same road, Ioniq stays EV longer and more often than Niro, maybe that explains the 10 mpg more on the Ioniq. 65 vs 55 mpg.
Niro is heavier and less aerodynamic than the Ioniq

Not sure why, but my wife always gets better mileage in both cars than me, I tought that women are supposed to be “bad drivers”
That is a long-held (and sexist) stereotype, however, statistically, women are better drivers and many insurance companies provide better rates to women drivers. I even heard of one man in western Canada (Alberta or Manitoba I think), who legally changed his gender so his insurance company would give him a better rate.

In short if we’ll have to do it again, I will still get the Ioniq and my wife, still the Niro.
Cool

Looking forward to it.

Thanks
bluecar1 likes this.

Paul W | 2017 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Ltd 6-speed dual clutch automatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:
2013 Desert Bronze Hyundai Elantra GL 6-spd auto (13-17)
2010 Indigo Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L GL 6-spd manual (10-13)
2008 Black Hyundai Accent GL 5-spd manual (08-10)
2001 White Kia Rio 5-spd manual (05-08)
1996 Royal Blue (purple) Hyundai Accent GLS 4-spd auto (01-05)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 01:29 PM

I'm going to check again but I think I have to go into the settings on mine to find "display off". I wonder if it's a regional/MY difference.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsntItIoniq View Post
I'm going to check again but I think I have to go into the settings on mine to find "display off". I wonder if it's a regional/MY difference.
Possibly Region/Trim difference.

Mine is a Limited as is yours @IsntItIoniq , but mine is Canadian, where we don't have the BlueLink. Does the SEL in the US have BlueLink? Or is it on Ltds only? If so, it could be the Display Off is in place of the BlueLink button.

Just a thought...

Paul W | 2017 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Ltd 6-speed dual clutch automatic

Previous:
2013 Desert Bronze Hyundai Elantra GL 6-spd auto (13-17)
2010 Indigo Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L GL 6-spd manual (10-13)
2008 Black Hyundai Accent GL 5-spd manual (08-10)
2001 White Kia Rio 5-spd manual (05-08)
1996 Royal Blue (purple) Hyundai Accent GLS 4-spd auto (01-05)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds093 View Post

Mine is a Limited as is yours @IsntItIoniq , but mine is Canadian, where we don't have the BlueLink. Does the SEL in the US have BlueLink? Or is it on Ltds only? If so, it could be the Display Off is in place of the BlueLink button.

Just a thought...
Yes, I have the BlueLink so you're probably right.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds093 View Post

Just a thought...
SEL trim in the US doesn’t have BlueLink. The head unit is turned off by pressing and holding the volume knob for a couple of seconds.

2018 Ioniq Hybrid SEL with tech pkg
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The 2018 US version SEL does have a display button, to turn off screen. No BlueLink on mine. Volume button turns the radio off also.

Dny,
2018 Ioniq SEL, hybrid
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 17-10-18, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr1usklr View Post
Thanks
I REALLY enjoyed your comparo here Pr1, thank you for taking the time to put it all together for us!! VERY GOOD READ!
While I do not have a Niro to compare our new Ioniq that we named "Trooper" to, I do have to take a second to 2nd your opinion on a couple things..
1st and foremost for us is the xtra cargo space inside Trooper that allows us the option to camp inside his fully secure, fully temp controlled cargo area.
2nd and not far from the 1st note above, that +60 MPG that you speak of allowed us to travel from our home in mid Michigan all the way to Sacramento California (including a tour of and two night stay in your States "Rocky Mountain National Park") for $135 of fuel!!
I would also like to mention the absolute endless fun us old folks are having riding along our lake shore and thru our beautiful State Park each day (retired people do this kind of stuff) to do our daily 2 mile Channel walk on Muskegon's Lake Michigans Channel. Making this daily drive in our Ioniq Blue for free because of Troopers "EV Mode" is simply a thing of beauty!!
After spending our lives touring and tenting on large, two up motorcycles and finding out what $10,000 LESS would get us when we had to give up bikes (new Honda/Yamaha/Polaris or Harley touring bike = $28,500 or more and we got this amazing Trooper as a new left over for $18400) both my wife of 39 years and I are left with HUGE on our faces!!
As you can probably guess,, I/we too would like to join you in saying that we would also choose Trooper!
Puc

A short video just to show the 3 of us out having fun!!!
bluecar1, ds093 and Pr1usklr like this.

No longer able to tour on my motorcycle and THAT is when "Trooper" - the AWESOME 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue came to our rescue!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in