Tested: my Ioniq vs my wife’s Kia Niro - Page 2 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-10-18, 04:02 PM

I really liked your video. New way of enjoying the car. Your "wow" expressions were priceless. 😆
cowpuc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 20-10-18, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcas View Post
I really liked your video. New way of enjoying the car. Your "wow" expressions were priceless. 😆
Just got in from doing a Northern Michigan color tour and found your comment here @jcas. Thank you for your kind words and glad you enjoyed the short video. We are truly enjoying this amazing little vehicle. We have already started another video series on youtube about our latest fun, here is a quick look at the start of that series. Retirement combined with such a neat little vehicle as this Hyundai certainly presents a fun roadway of retirement..
Puc

bluecar1 likes this.

No longer able to tour on my motorcycle and THAT is when "Trooper" - the AWESOME 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Blue came to our rescue!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-10-18, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
I REALLY enjoyed your comparo here Pr1, thank you for taking the time to put it all together for us!! VERY GOOD READ!
While I do not have a Niro to compare our new Ioniq that we named "Trooper" to, I do have to take a second to 2nd your opinion on a couple things..
1st and foremost for us is the xtra cargo space inside Trooper that allows us the option to camp inside his fully secure, fully temp controlled cargo area.
2nd and not far from the 1st note above, that +60 MPG that you speak of allowed us to travel from our home in mid Michigan all the way to Sacramento California (including a tour of and two night stay in your States "Rocky Mountain National Park") for $135 of fuel!!
I would also like to mention the absolute endless fun us old folks are having riding along our lake shore and thru our beautiful State Park each day (retired people do this kind of stuff) to do our daily 2 mile Channel walk on Muskegon's Lake Michigans Channel. Making this daily drive in our Ioniq Blue for free because of Troopers "EV Mode" is simply a thing of beauty!!
After spending our lives touring and tenting on large, two up motorcycles and finding out what $10,000 LESS would get us when we had to give up bikes (new Honda/Yamaha/Polaris or Harley touring bike = $28,500 or more and we got this amazing Trooper as a new left over for $18400) both my wife of 39 years and I are left with HUGE on our faces!!
As you can probably guess,, I/we too would like to join you in saying that we would also choose Trooper!
Puc

A short video just to show the 3 of us out having fun!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nmPNBDXtNk
Thanks cowpuc,
You gave me an idea to check both cars with seats folded down. Just for sleeping purposes.
My wife and I call the Ioniq: Molecula ( the Molecule) since is only using molecules of gas compared to our previous cars.
The worst one we had was 22-24 mpg, we had all the way to 45mpg for a TDI, but when you go from 22 to 60-65 its shocking!

Dny,
2018 Ioniq SEL, hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-10-18, 06:24 PM

There is a long thread on this forum with good pictures of car camping with the Ioniq. I do it with the Niro which doesn't have the length of the Ioniq. Just enough room for me fully stretched out at 5' 10". So I would expect the Ioniq can fit someone slightly taller than 6', more if diagonal.

That's with front seats all the way forward.
Pr1usklr likes this.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-03-19, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some more time has passed and I have a few more things to add, well my wife has some to!
-Niro’s seat warmer buttons are to far back compared to the Ioniq, she won’t even use them most of the time. I guess, since you have the two versions you notice the things you like, because you have something to compare it to.
-She also says that the Ioniq feels sharper and faster driving, I agree also.
-Since half of my driving is after dark, I am glad I have the display off button on the Ioniq , since I use it every time.
- Niro has a higher floor for the trunk, since we don’t have anything below the floor where the spare tire would be, we use that space to put our groceries, it keeps them from movin all over. The Ioniq has only half the space underneath, not really useful.
-Niro has rear seats vents, my dog likes the AC just as much.
-Niro gives you a reading on display after you turn of the car, with the distance and MPG for the current trip, that is a feature I would have liked in the Ioniq. Also displays the current song inside your dash.
Both cars could use a garage door button, really!

Dny,
2018 Ioniq SEL, hybrid
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 14-04-19, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Another couple of things that have popped up:
My Ioniq’s wipers are not even close to Niro’s, ended up buying a pair of Bosch Icons since they where leaving streaks, with RainX on.
But the Ioniq’s auto defrost is a lot better calibrated, starts faster and doesn’t wait until the windows are all fogged up.
bluecar1 likes this.

Dny,
2018 Ioniq SEL, hybrid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in