Quote:
Price and Equipment - Winner: Hyundai Ioniq
Interior and Connectivity - Winner: Hyundai Ioniq
Ride and Handling - Winner: Hyundai Ioniq
Performance and Economy - Tied
Warranty and Servicing - Winner: Hyundai Ioniq
Quote:
Verdict:

Despite the Prius' multiple generations worth of trial and error, the newcomer Hyundai Ioniq comes away with a convincing win this time thanks to it's cheaper entry price, driveability and better equipped interior.
Link: https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-revi...parison-review (WhichCar, Australia)

Regards, Knut, driving a 2017 Marina Blue Ioniq Plug-in Premium SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-05-18, 03:32 PM

I bought my Ioniq 2018 in March and it broke down in April. After 30 days, Hyundai told me they can't fix it at all and would like to purchase it back. Now, I'm driving Prius Prime and it feels just like a regular car. Reliable!

My experience.
bluecar1 and SEvans like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-05-18, 03:38 PM

Mine has had one issue which there was a TSB for and the dealer, being relatively inexperienced fixing these, didn't reset the learning modules correctly resulting in a second trip. Besides that, it's been reliable. I would expect a prius to be more reliable because Toyota is well known for reliability and it's a well tested platform. The prius just looks ridiculous in my opinion and their refusal to join almost every other manufacturer and include Android Auto is a deal breaker for me as well.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-05-18, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohiyan View Post
I bought my Ioniq 2018 in March and it broke down in April. After 30 days, Hyundai told me they can't fix it at all and would like to purchase it back. Now, I'm driving Prius Prime and it feels just like a regular car. Reliable!

My experience.
sorry to here your experience, but the positive I see is the fact that Hyundai bought your car back

glad your happy with your Prius, you have a fairly unique point of view as you have driven both the ioniq (only a month) and prius as a daily driver

ignoring the break down how would you compare the 2 for comfort driveability, economy and tech
knutsp and IsntItIoniq like this.

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-05-18, 04:59 PM

Comfort: both equal
Interface: Ioniq ( I love physical buttons instead of the touch screen Prius equipped, so I can easily switch between functions. )
Space: Ioniq (Prius has very small trunk)
Driving: Prius (My Ioniq is very slow to accelerate. It seems it takes 2 secs to change to the fuel power? Prius is fast in accelerating and it feels just like driving a normal petroleum car)
Apps: Ioniq (Prius's entune is a disaster and the map looks like from the 90s. Even worse, you can't turn that ugly map off.)
Price: equal
Warranty: Prius (the lifetime warranty on battery is nice, as long as your Ioniq last long enough)
Reliability: Prius
Car insurance: Prius (My AAA insurance is actually cheaper when I change from Hyundai to Toyota, i don't know why!)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-05-18, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
that's an interesting mix,

2 equals, and 3 each so pretty much a tie assuming all things equal

I suppose the big question would be when your new prius comes up for replacement would you again consider an Ioniq or other Hyundai hybrid depending on whether reliability seem to be there to your requirements

Location Kent, UK

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-05-18, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Driving: Prius (My Ioniq is very slow to accelerate. It seems it takes 2 secs to change to the fuel power? Prius is fast in accelerating and it feels just like driving a normal petroleum car)
2 seconds, really? I first tried Prius Prime, then Ioniq hybrid in April 2017, and can't remember the Prius as faster, on the contrary, Ioniq was impressive, tested one hour later at the same route, quite demanding one. Even more now, with a PHEV.

The first half second after I press pedal the motor creates the torque. Then ICE comes in very fast and takes over. I don't do this daily, as I try to be more economical.

My home is Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg twin city, in Lower River Glomma local region, in the very south-east of Norway.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-05-18, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
that's an interesting mix,

2 equals, and 3 each so pretty much a tie assuming all things equal

I suppose the big question would be when your new prius comes up for replacement would you again consider an Ioniq or other Hyundai hybrid depending on whether reliability seem to be there to your requirements

Someone told me that buying a hybrid car from Hyundai is like going to McDonald's and order Pizza. If my Prius still have problem, I would consider if there is a problem in me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 23-05-18, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Someone told me that buying a hybrid car from Hyundai is like going to McDonald's and order Pizza.
I see the point. I had about the same thought myself. If wanting a hybrid, go Toyota, as they know what they are doing.

Once in the 1990's, if wanting a mobile/cellular, go Motorola. Then, a few years later, it was Nokia that ruled. Later came iPhone and Samsung. Now, even Samsung is very, very challenged , and my last phone was Asus and Huawai.

Toyota is fine, but very, very challenged on hybrids, PHEVs especially. Point is, it's not rocket science, not now, so anyone who sees the market, the benefits and have the opportunity, can enter the scene, like Hyundai have, so far, quite successfully. Being good or best sometimes, and very suddenly, especially if one have become a bit arrogant (as they tend to), become the enemy of being good or best. Ask Nokia (but they are back now, with fine products, 11 years later).

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 24-05-18, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Someone told me that buying a hybrid car from Hyundai is like going to McDonald's and order Pizza. If my Prius still have problem, I would consider if there is a problem in me.
good to know Hyundai is still in the frame for next time round, feel free to stick around or pop in now and again to keep an eye on how things go with the Ioniq and the reliability ready for when you next change your car

be interesting to hear how you get on and the sort of economy you get from the latest prius and how it compares to what you got the short time you had your Ioniq

Location Kent, UK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page