Hyundai Ioniq vs Toyota Prius comparison review - Page 2 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-18, 04:13 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knutsp View Post
I see the point. I had about the same thought myself. If wanting a hybrid, go Toyota, as they know what they are doing.

Once in the 1990's, if wanting a mobile/cellular, go Motorola. Then, a few years later, it was Nokia that ruled. Later came iPhone and Samsung. Now, even Samsung is very, very challenged , and my last phone was Asus and Huawai.

Toyota is fine, but very, very challenged on hybrids, PHEVs especially. Point is, it's not rocket science, not now, so anyone who sees the market, the benefits and have the opportunity, can enter the scene, like Hyundai have, so far, quite successfully. Being good or best sometimes, and very suddenly, especially if one have become a bit arrogant (as they tend to), become the enemy of being good or best. Ask Nokia (but they are back now, with fine products, 11 years later).
I had the same point if view. And then I drove a new Prius. No comparison. Bought an Ioniq Hybrid...

I looked at the new Hyundai Hybrids as being a step ahead of Toyota which gets the same review for ALL their hybrids - insipid and uninspiring. They may have made a lot of them, but that doesn't mean they've got it right yet.

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!

Last edited by knutsp; 24-05-18 at 05:12 AM. Reason: qouting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-18, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
biggest difference here in the UK is the prius still largely uses NiMh batteries as opposed to LiPo in the Ioniq, so old tech as far as batteries are concerned

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-05-18, 08:47 AM

It's interesting that you gave Warranty to the Prius. Are you basing that on your likelihood to need to use the warranty or on your service experience? As far as I know, Hyundai has a better warranty, at least on paper.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate (HEV)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-05-18, 04:52 PM

Garage
I was originally going to buy the Prius Prime but it took Toyota so long to sell it in Ontario, Canada I got fed up and bought the Ioniq PHEV thanks to this forum (released in Ontario about a month after the Ioniq PHEV became available). The Prime was release in Quebec in June 2017 and according to members of Priuschat the Quebec dealers were told to not sell it to buyers from outside of Quebec (this was confirmed by members who lived in Ontario and New Brunswich who tried to buy it in Quebec). I was so mad about this that anytime someone mentioned Toyota I went on a rant. I even called my local Toyota dealer and ripped them a new one. To me it's discrimination based on the fact that they have the distribution network to sell these cars across Canada even online. As far as I know Hyundai released the Ioniq across Canada all at once. The Ioniq is/was the only vehicle similar to the Prime in gas fuel economy range, battery range, leg room, comfort, the ability to sleep with the back seats down (feet in trunk, head at front passenger seat), the ability to sleep in the car (car turning on/off to keep the temperature consistant - somewhat confirm sleeping in the driver's seat for 3 hours without getting sore).

Rant, rant, rant, I wanted a Toyota this time but got fed up and bought another Hyundai.

Sorry about the rant but it seems I am still mad. So far I am glad I bought the Ioniq.
bluecar1 likes this.

I bought a Hyundai Ioniq Electric Plus Limited because PHEVs interest/fascinate me and I have never owned one before. I also own a 2010 Hyundai Elantra L (base model with automatic transmission - weird thing is is that it has front powered windows and manual rear windows).
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-05-18, 05:17 PM

Fun fact : Originally I ordered a Toyota Auris hybrid, but the dealer kept talking about some delayed delivery. My friend, who ordered the same car one month after me, checked with his dealer : his car was already here ... and nothing about any delay from the factory (Even talked about being delivered in advance). Knowing that I just cancelled my order and started to check for other brands ...

Toyota make good cars (not perfect but still) but commercially it's **** (not everywhere but still :P ).

In the end I'm happy because for a little more money I get a full option Ioniq with better Cx and a hybrid system that can run on EV up to 120km/h (I'll mostly do long runs with highway and stuff, and don't need to go over 120km/h)
bluecar1 and BDG like this.

2018 Black Ioniq Hybrid Executive

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-04-19, 11:10 AM

Garage
The fact that Toyota has been the market leader in hybrids since hybrids first hit the streets is really not a meaningful measure of the present or future offerings from them or their competitors.

One thing is for sure, they have become complacent. They have consistently removed features from their Prius lineup, in order to move them further up the product range. My 2007 Prius 3 had Homelink, electronic dipping mirror, 3-door keyless entry, fog lights, premium stereo with 6-disc CD changer and amplifier, amongst other things. My 2011 Prius 3 had a standard mirror, 1-door keyless entry, no fog lights, a stereo that was barely sophisticated enough for a 1970s Ford, and had an MSRP $1,000 above what the 2007 had been.

They still refuse to put CarPlay/Android Auto in the Prius, and instead foist the dire and useless Entune on buyers instead. Their GPS in the later Gen 3 was so bad that it was only possible to set a destination by going there first, and reliability was nothing too special either.

In the current Gen 4 lineup, safety features have pushed much of the equipment level the Gen 3 previously had to prices close to, or exceeding $30,000.

In my case, to keep some of the equipment I wanted from my old Prius in a new one, I would have had to pay $6,000-$8,000 more than the Ioniq SEL I bought instead. If I'd bought a Prius, I may have got a more reliable car than from Hyundai, but I'd have felt cheated by Toyota withholding features I had previously for quite a lot less - particularly since they weren't prepared to offer any incentives at all.

The Ioniq is smoother and quieter on the road, in my regular and familiar commute, it gets better MPG, is far better value for money in terms of fit, finish, equipment and trim, and doesn't feel as flimsy. And if warranties mean anything at all, Hyundai seem prepared to stand by their product rather better than Toyota.

Time will tell, but for Toyota to earn my money next time, they need to give me much better value than they seem prepared to offer. They used to manage it, but they don't right now.
knutsp likes this.

2019 Ioniq SEL HEV
Black
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-05-19, 06:31 PM

Like many posters, I considered the Prius and Ioniq, but the looks, better acceleration, and lower interest rates won me over. The Prius Prime also featured only 4 seats, whereas the Ioniq could seat 5 passengers (rear middle passenger would have to make sacrifices, of course).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page