Hybrid or PHEV? Non-electric motorway mpg - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Hybrid or PHEV? Non-electric motorway mpg

Hi. I’m sold on an Ioniq but can’t decide between the PHEV or the standard Hybrid.

Could anyone help me to understand the MPG (I’m UK so please let me know if you’re using US Gallons!) of the PHEV *once the battery has discharged*? What I mean is if the mpg is reset after the charge runs out, or it’s not charged at all and just driven on Petrol. Ideally motorway/70mph speeds for an extended period.

I want this to work out the actual cost. My journey’s are longer than the battery will last, and I want to know the ‘worst case’ scenario and how much worse it is than the normal hybrid.

Thanks to anyone who can help me decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 03:45 AM

I went to Huddersfield and back, a total distance of 120 miles. The trip computer registered 76 MPG. Two people in a PHEV. The journey there was in peak traffic, stop start on the M62. The journey back was normal night time traffic. Hope that helps.

2018 PHEV Premium SE in Marina Blue
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax_man View Post
I went to Huddersfield and back, a total distance of 120 miles. The trip computer registered 76 MPG. Two people in a PHEV. The journey there was in peak traffic, stop start on the M62. The journey back was normal night time traffic. Hope that helps.
Thanks - was that with no charge at all when you started?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 05:16 AM

That was setting off with half charge and ended up with quarter charge at the end.

2018 PHEV Premium SE in Marina Blue
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question , dependant on the terrain and driving style . I have achieved over 83 mpg on a trip from the Rhondda valleys ( with a full load ) , and mid 70s on the way back ( driver only no cargo ) in my hybrid . On another trip home it was about 70 mpg ( but I was travelling at higher speeds on that one ). Bluecar has hit over 90 mpg on a motorway trip . Overall the plugin may do better , but the loss of cargo space,spare wheel and higher purchase price puts me off that one .

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 07:32 AM

Location: Southampton, darn sarf of the UK, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyOniq View Post
Hi. I’m sold on an Ioniq but can’t decide between the PHEV or the standard Hybrid.

Could anyone help me to understand the MPG (I’m UK so please let me know if you’re using US Gallons!) of the PHEV *once the battery has discharged*? What I mean is if the mpg is reset after the charge runs out, or it’s not charged at all and just driven on Petrol. Ideally motorway/70mph speeds for an extended period.

I want this to work out the actual cost. My journey’s are longer than the battery will last, and I want to know the ‘worst case’ scenario and how much worse it is than the normal hybrid.

Thanks to anyone who can help me decide!

No doubt once you have a better understanding of HOW the `PHEV` works you can work out for yourself average MPG.
You erroneously assume that the battery will discharge. It won't. It will recharge on the journey, at least partially, as the ICE and battery work together to provide power

The `confusion` to this is IF you do allow the battery to deplete, it will lock into Hybrid mode- not `running out` but limiting functionality and battery capacity to that of a Hybrid until you actually plug the car in to recharge.
So in this mode you STILL have battery assistance, but somewhat more limited.
The battery does NOT `run out`in normal use...

The driver can limit this effect by simply recharging or regenerating before the battery drops below the 15-20% charge rate at which the Hybrid mode kicks- in.

I got 60+mpg in hybrid mode, 80+ mpg in full-PHEV to give you an answer. Therefore your worst case scenario is if you stupidly allow the car to drop into Hybrid mode, as I did, you will still get 60 mpg.

Hope this helps?

Simon Evans
2018 Pearl White PHEV
gone is the 2017 Premium SE Hybrid Black - good riddance to that corporate signwriting!
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 09:45 AM

The US rating system is much closer to real life driving results than the European one, but it is just a small subset of drivers that actually achieve even the US ratings long term. Can be readily done if you drive gently with low top speeds in temperate conditions. I exceed the ratings by about 6% in four season weather. Using the US ratings:

PHEV (as hybrid) 52 mpg US highway or 62 mpg UK..
HEV 59 mpg US highway (smaller wheels) or 71 mpg UK.

I'd say that if you can run 25% or greater EV plug in miles, you will be ahead in running costs. The extra purchase price of the PHEV will complicate your calculations, as will taxation. Hard to say about maintenance costs, could be better, could be worse. The fun of driving is different between the two cars. The lighter HEV will be better to fling around, but driving EV only is much more fun in the PHEV.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
the spreadsheet in the link may help

leave the default mpg for hybrid, then you can alter the journey distances and get an idea of costs

only change the red figures, everything auto calculates

https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/7-h...-phev-hev.html

then its up to you if you factor in the higher purchase price of the plugin or you only want to consider running costs

2016 Marina Blue Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium 6-speed dual clutch automatic
Location Kent, UK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 08:57 PM

+1 on what yticolev said in post 7, and the spreadsheet from Bluecar1.

The OP sates "My journey’s are longer than the battery will last, and I want to know the ‘worst case’ scenario and how much worse it is than the normal hybrid."

We bought the PHEV and have 1750 US miles so far. Average is 83MPG. Most of the journeys have been less than 20 miles roundtrip. Also a few relatively longer journeys, the longest being ~275 miles over two days, mostly highway driving (65-75MPH) with the heater on for parts of the trip, and with no plug-in recharging. In that case we got about the US EPA average mileage estimates.

I think the PHEV operating economics are best for the shorter, battery only, trips.

2019 Ioniq PHEV, Limited, Ultimate package, Delivered 17-01-19.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 09:48 PM

I'm currently considering a PHEV as I could (theoretically) get 1/2 of my daily commute done in EV mode.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in