US Federal Tax Credit for 2019 Ioniq - Hyundai Ioniq Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 31-10-18, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

US Federal Tax Credit for 2019 Ioniq

I also posted this on the Hyundai-Forums but thought I'd try here as well.

I am hoping to buy a 2019 Ioniq Plug In Hybrid (if I can find one!). Looking at the website for the US Federal Tax Credit, I only see the 2018 model (screenshot from the website attached below).

Does anyone know if I can use the credit for the 2019 model as well? I'm hoping it just hasn't been updated on the website yet. I haven't been able to find any confirmation that the 2019 is eligible. Any info would be appreciated!

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum - i did a search and couldn't find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	federal tax credit.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	27920  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 31-10-18, 10:29 PM

Garage
Well I don't know for a fact. But the federal tax credit for EV has not been cancelled. Hyundai has not reached the number of EV sold to start phasing out the credit. And Hyundai's own USA website doesn't even show the 2019 Ioniq phev yet. So I would guess that it will still be eligible. Sorry it's not the definitive answer you are looking for, just my best guess.

Good luck finding the plug in version. What state do you live in? It's a great car if you can get your hands on one. Especially if your driving pattern suits the EV range (35+ miles typically in the summer for me, I don't know about winter yet)

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic

Last edited by Jonboy; 31-10-18 at 10:39 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-18, 09:05 AM

Unless the law changes (seems darned unlikely), the tax credit will still be there for 2019s.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-18, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

I did find a link on the turbotax website which says that the manufacturer provides a certification that the vehicle qualifies for the credit so I'll ask the dealer about that. (can't post links because I just joined) I'm hoping the federal website just hasn't been updated yet with the 2019 model.

jonboy - I live in CA (in the SF bay area). We commute about 40 miles a day into the city so the Ioniq seems perfect - we would almost be able to do our entire commute gas free. Plus the fact that we can get a carpool sticker for the carpool lane, which would be a big time saver. Now we just have to find one!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-18, 04:07 PM

Garage
I remember driving in SF years ago. The lasting memory for me was, Wow, so many cars on the roads! The plug in Ioniq should do well for your situation.

At the time I was working on a glass furnace for a wine bottle plant in Modesto. It was an electric furnace, but elsewhere gas fired furnaces were more common in the industry. Is that because the cost of electricity is low in California? Or maybe just lower than the cost of gas and all of the required emissions controls.

Good luck finding the one you want. At least in California you should have a decent selection to choose from.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic

Last edited by Jonboy; 02-11-18 at 04:26 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-11-18, 10:05 PM

I have the same issue. I'm worried that the 2019s will not qualify for the 2018 taxes? Like if I have a 2019 and it is eligible in 2019 but not in 2018... Hyundai doesn't have any answers for me. The salesman says there's no certification they give, that I would just need the contract. Is that true? Or those of you who did get the phev in the states can you offer any info on whether you got a certificate or not? Thanks!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 28-12-18, 01:24 AM
jag

does 2019 Ioniq PHEV not on federal tax credit site?

Having just bought a 2019 Ioniq PHEV, I would also like to know about this. Any way to find out besides the fueleconomy dot gov web site? The 2019 model Ioniq doesn't show up. But some other manufacturers' 2019 cars are on the list. Why?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 29-12-18, 12:25 AM

Some combination of paperwork of the manufacturer and the EPA. Not uncommon for there to be a couple months lag. Same thing last year. Since you purchased your Ioniq in this tax year, you will be able to deduct it on your 2018 return. Should be listed by February.

2018 Kia Niro LX HEV Metal Stream - identical to Ioniq drivetrain
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-03-19, 09:43 AM

Garage
Uh oh, need help with US tax credit

Last year I bought a 2018 plug-in Ioniq. Now it's time to file my 2018 US tax forms. So I filled out form 8936 (Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Tax Credit) to apply for the $4500 credit. My tax guy looked over the form and entered the car's VIN number into his software. But it returned the error below.

I think the problem is that in the system my VIN comes up as a Hyundai Ioniq (HEV) which doesn't qualify for the tax credit. But really it is a Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in (PHEV) which does qualify for the tax credit. I'm not sure how VIN's get into the system. Does Hyundai corporate do it, does the dealership do it, does the US government do it? I guess I will start by calling the dealer. Has anyone else seen this or have any ideas on the best way to straighten it out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tax error.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	29224  

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-03-19, 10:17 PM

Garage
I called the Ohio BMV to ask about the VIN and learned some interesting things. It sounds like the VIN is provided by the car manufacturer. And according to the BMV the VIN contains the following information (He was talking fast so there were a couple digits that I didn't get identified). Example:

KMHC65LD0JU######

K = Korea (country of origin)
MH = Hyundai (manufacturer)
C = Accent/Ioniq hev/Ioniq EV(model)
6 = Ioniq hev blue (series)
5 = 5 door hatchback (style)
L = Airbags (safety restraintsystems)
D = 1.6 liter PHEV (engine type)
0 = ?
J = 2018 (year of manufacture)
U = ?
###### = my car’s serial number

I think its interesting that for a Plug-In Ioniq the model is very general, the series is a bit misleading, and it isn't until you get to the engine type that it specifies PHEV.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic

Last edited by Jonboy; 26-03-19 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page