US Federal Tax Credit for 2019 Ioniq - Page 2 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-03-19, 10:26 PM

Garage
Then I called the IRS to ask about the electric / plug-in vehicle tax credit. The person I spoke with agreed that my car should be eligible for the tax credit. He could find no reason why the system would not accept it. So he suggested that if I cannot file my returns electronically (due to the rejected VIN) that I should file the returns manually/on paper.

Has any US member on the forum already filed their taxes and successfully received the electric vehicle tax credit for the Plug-In Ioniq? If so, were you able to file electronically?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IRS Qualified vehicles.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	29226  

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 27-03-19, 06:35 AM

Given that VIN codes are in a standardised format, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number , it is very easy to decode them. There is a partial list, including Hyundai, here https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicl...ers_(VIN_codes)

2019 Phantom Black PHEV Premium SE
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-19, 02:44 PM

Garage
It turns out there was some confusion by my tax preparer. On form 8936 there is a field where it asks for either the purchase price of the vehicle (two wheeled vehicles) or the allowable credit (four wheeled vehicles). I filled out my form with the credit of $4543 but my tax preparer interpreted that as the purchase price. So when he entered the info into his software system it didn't give the right result. After I told him the true purchase price and battery capacity he was able to file the tax forms electronically.

2018 Plug-In Ioniq
2002 Honda Civic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Ioniq Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page