LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Hyundai USA may 17 sales figures

HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA REPORTS MAY SALES AND BEST TUCSON MONTH OF ALL TIME

Quote:
HYUNDAI BRAND HIGHLIGHTS
“In May, we continued our positive retail sales momentum on the core products in our lineup—Sonata, Elantra, Tucson and Santa Fe—which all saw increases compared to last year,” said Derrick Hatami, vice president of national sales, Hyundai Motor America.*
All-time Tucson monthly sales mark, eclipsing the record from just last month
Tucson sales up 44 percent, totaling 10,600 sold
Positive consumer demand for Ioniq which sold 1,827 vehicles, up 39 percent over April as production and supply ramps up
Accent sales up 6 percent year-over-year with 5,773 sold
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HUSA-may17.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	5706  
reald likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 05:31 AM

Garage
I don't know about other places, but here in New York, the Auto Show was in April. Locally, I suspect it had an influence on sales in May.

Mad Scientist & Ironic Archer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:01 AM

Breaking down the Ioniq electric sales, there were just 75 electric cars sold in May.

I wonder why the sales for electric models are so small? Might it be Ioniq cars from the Unlimited subscription are not counted? Or is the issue just the lack of Ioniq electric vehicles available? Or are so few of the electric cars selling?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:13 AM

Kia USA sold 2,660 Niro in May. So most Ioniq/Niro powertrain sales are in the Niro CUV format.
It's the same in France, with an even larger Niro share.

KIA MOTORS AMERICA ANNOUNCES MAY SALES

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFabb View Post

I wonder why the sales for electric models are so small?
Maybe because "general public" is like me? "no no no, no electric drive car. I will get no-where with the limited range and I have about 3 minutes to fill it up; not 6 hours". In other words: no charger at work, no charger at home.

From the Netherlands. Trying to save fuel.

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, currently running @
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Location: Sarfampton, darn sarf, where you get your feet wet.
Distances in the `States are just... bigger

Probably more an indication of how range anxiety affects sales as it is any sales inertia from slow supply. Remember this is still only a `toe dipping` exercise for Hyundai.

I'd happily have an electric car: One that goes 500 miles between fill ups; can be refuelled in 3 minutes and costs no more than a hybrid...

Not gonna happen anytime soon.

What the US needs to encourage `leccy vehicle sales is congestion charging for major conurbations, like in the UK. And a network of electric car chargers, no more than 110 miles apart of course.
rjeat33 likes this.

Simon Evans
Lightning Group
2017 Premium SE with 15" wheels
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:58 AM

What happened to the Genesis sales. Looks like they took a steep nosedive.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans View Post
Distances in the `States are just... bigger

Probably more an indication of how range anxiety affects sales as it is any sales inertia from slow supply. Remember this is still only a `toe dipping` exercise for Hyundai.
I guess the question is the small sales of the Ioniq electric relative to the sales of other electric cars.
  • Chevy Bolt sold 1,566 cars
  • Nissan Leaf (with smaller range) sold 1,392 cars
  • Fiat 500e sold 665 cars
  • BMW i3 sold 506 cars
  • BMW i3 sold 506 cars
  • VW eGolf which is very similar in range and price as the Ioniq sold 381 cars
  • Ford Focus Electric sold 132 cars

The Ioniq electric is really at the bottom of the list when it comes to electric car sales in the US. So I was wondering why that might be?

That said, Hyundai sold 5 Ioniq electric cars in March and 19 in April leading up to 75 now in May, so there is some upward trajectory but it's still small.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
problem at the moment is supply of the battery packs, so they seem to be concentrating on customer orders rather than stock

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 03:44 AM

Location: Sarfampton, darn sarf, where you get your feet wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFabb View Post
I guess the question is the small sales of the Ioniq electric relative to the sales of other electric cars.
  • Chevy Bolt sold 1,566 cars
  • Nissan Leaf (with smaller range) sold 1,392 cars
  • Fiat 500e sold 665 cars
  • BMW i3 sold 506 cars
  • BMW i3 sold 506 cars
  • VW eGolf which is very similar in range and price as the Ioniq sold 381 cars
  • Ford Focus Electric sold 132 cars

The Ioniq electric is really at the bottom of the list when it comes to electric car sales in the US. So I was wondering why that might be?

That said, Hyundai sold 5 Ioniq electric cars in March and 19 in April leading up to 75 now in May, so there is some upward trajectory but it's still small.
Don't think that's a strict like-for-like comparison as many of those vehicles have long been embedded in the marketplace, whereas the Ionic EV is a recent arrival, and we know that many orders remain to be fulfilled.

I wouldn't read too much into the numbers at this stage.

Simon Evans
Lightning Group
2017 Premium SE with 15" wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page