Rear seat legroom - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Rear seat legroom

One thing I noticed when I visited the dealer recently is the rear seat has less legroom than my Prius, potentially by a couple inches. I'm 6 foot tall so my driver's seat is fairly far back. What has been everyone's experience for the rear seat passengers when sitting behind a 6 foot tall or taller driver? Are they comfortable or cramped?

For those that have the memory seat that slides back automatically for easy driver egress, I presume you must let the rear seat passenger out before opening your door or you are going to crunch their legs, is that true?

Thanks.

Future Ioniq Buyer
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:28 AM

Location: Sarfampton, darn sarf, where you get your feet wet.
I think the exact opposite. The rear legroom is massively adaptable by the range of motion in the front seats, and if the car was set to slide the drivers seat to the rear automatically it looks like it kills the rear legroom. Most dealers also set the passenger seat well to the rear to maximise access for punters to the front, anyway, and to match the position of the drivers seat - keeps it consistent.

I'd say there's between 2 and 4 inches MORE legroom in the Ioniq than the Prius, although the Prius does have marginally more headroom over the rear seat passengers heads. There is also far more footwell room in the Hyundai.

Simon Evans
Lightning Group
2017 Premium SE with 15" wheels
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 05:00 AM

Agreed that the legroom in the back is not massive, but with my 1.96m (something like 6.4) I fit in the back seat with the front seat still ok.
And this nasty automatic sliding back can be switched off, see the manual. Which I did, because getting out of the car becomes even more difficult with my length and the seat already well to the rear. And if there is someone in the backseat, it would be most uncomfortable if the seat slides back.
But if you are very small (hey, it is a Korean car), this sliding mechanism may be useful?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 AM

Garage
Hm. I was for testing purposes in the rear site a few times, and the person in front had the seat all the way back. I am 6"4' (1.96m) and honoustly? I had to bent my legs sideways. The worst part of it is the hard rear of the front seat. It is like putting your knees to concrete. Had Hyundai not made that a shell but a soft(-er) material, I would have been much more comfortable

As to the automatic slideback of driver seat: My wife is 4"9' (1.50m) and absolutely needs the slideback, because otherwise she would never be able to actually exit the vehicle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
From the Netherlands. Trying to save fuel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, currently running @
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 11:37 AM

Garage
While I can't compare to a Prius(I have never been in one), this was one thing that even the dealer warned me about. The leg room behind a 6' plus driver is a bit lacking. It's not an issue for me as I almost never have passengers.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:40 PM

Garage
Huuuuuge Feet.

But I've never been in the back of mine and I'm only 5ft6 so actually my post is completely pointless.
Jimm00re.com likes this.

When life gives you lemons... squeeze them into that f*ckers eyes.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. My impression has been more along the lines of Jimm00re's experience. We are travelling on vacation right now. When we get home I think I'll take my wife and son for a test drive and see what they think sitting behind me. My son is in college, so him in the back seat is no longer the everyday use model, thus I'm thinking my primary use is for 2 persons not 3 and thus this will not be the predominant use model like it has been for 11 years in the Prius.

I'll bring a tape measure with me to get a real reading on legroom comparison to the Prius and let everyone know as it seems there are a lot of Prius to Ioniq transition folks. I'll also watch out for the hard shell to the rear of the front seat, would not have thought to look for that.

With the automatic slide back disable-able, that could be a partial solution for those less often times when we have a 4th person (If there are 3, put them behind the front passenger's seat). I like the front seat sliding back as I have a bad left knee and it really helps getting in/out of the car. Plus I have the difference in height issue between me and my wife as novw has. Will be good to have this feature enabled most of the time.

Future Ioniq Buyer
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

I spent a couple hours at the dealership today talking with a great sales guy, incredibly knowledgeable on the Ioniq. Did a test drive, saw all the exterior and interior colors, and measured everything in comparison to the space in my '06 Prius. As I suspected, with the driver's seat set where I'd have it for driving just as with my Prius, there is 1.5" less leg room for the rear seat passenger. That can be mitigated some by having the driver raise their seat.

While the legroom is less, the amount of cargo capacity is notably more than the Prius. Quite impressive.
bluecar1 and Jimm00re.com like this.

Future Ioniq Buyer
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
everything has a trade off, rear leg room, cargo space etc

good you found a dealer who is knowledgeable and willing to take the time with you to measure and work everything out

what did you think of the test drive in comparison to the 06 prius?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

I really like the car. I'm debating Limited with Ultimate vs SEL with Tech and have leather seats added. I like some of the features of the Limited Ultimate setup, don't need some of the features, and just debate if it is worth the $4000 increase.

Future Ioniq Buyer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page