Dirty Radar? - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs down Dirty Radar?

I have a couple stupid questions.. it happens from time to time

Where's the radar? And like the reverse cam, does it get less effective when dirty?

I was raving about the ACC but this week I'm actually getting quite f*cked off with it! A friend was following me home last night and I had some idiot pull infront of me, going the speed limit, i mean how dare he. Anyway had ACC on and it did nothing until AFTER the guy pulled back into the slow lane and then it slammed on the brakes confusing my mate behind me, he even mentioned it after and asked me why I randomly slammed on my brakes. I didnt obviously the stupid car did. And it took it a few seconds to realise there was nothing infront and sped back up. It's not like it's never done that before but never so bad as this and I'm wondering is it because I've not cleaned him in a week.. which is a long time for me!

Anyone else experience this? It is getting to the point where I don't want to use ACC at all unless there's no one on the roads.. and that's upsetting because I loved it so much at first.

When life gives you lemons... squeeze them into that f*ckers eyes.
post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Maybe the one in front of you was already decreasing speed, and the ACC noticed that?

I sometimes have an effect that is similar but opposite. It happens when I myself want to change to a free lane while the traffic in front of me is decreasing speed approaching a red traffic light. Then the ACC first brakes, but when it notices the free lane it immediately accelerates. In this case I found it understandable.

P.S. If I remember well you have set the fastest response in the ACC settings whereas I have set the slowest response. Maybe that makes the car's reactions more nervous in your case.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Marina Blue
Previous car: 2013 Prius Plug In

Last edited by Jan Treur; 03-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Nah that's not an issue.. I've managed to work out how close I can get to the car infront before it starts to slow down/i need to change lanes and it handles that fine, like you say by accelerating as soon as I put indicators on and start moving out but... this is almost like... there's a seriously long delay in detecting the car in front *if* you've gone from completely empty lane to some d*ck pulling close in front.. car doesn't immediately react and slam brakes on but does it a few minutes later when the car in front has already accelerated or moved out of the way.. making you look like a complete div, like I said in a previous post because to other road users, it looks like you've just slammed on your brakes for no reason.
Really hope I'm not the only one experiencing this because I'm hoping a software update will fix it!

Edit: Just read your edit and I think you may be right... I'll try it with 2 blocks tonight but I find 3 just leaves too much distance between me and car in front and there is always a BMW or Audi driver ready to squeeze into that space.. :@

Last edited by TKGDee; 03-17-2017 at 11:45 AM.

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
And I just re read and you mean the speed at which it accelerates in ACC? Surely that shouldnt affect how it brakes?

post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
no we have no control over the braking of ACC, the only control we have is the speed which it returns to cruising speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
OK, then this setting is not making the braking different. Maybe the distance settings is? If the ACC keeps more distance, maybe it does not need to react in this way, as it accepts a margin of a percentage of the distance set?

post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKGDee View Post

this is almost like... there's a seriously long delay in detecting the car in front *if* you've gone from completely empty lane to some d*ck pulling close in front.. car doesn't immediately react and slam brakes on but does it a few minutes later when the car in front has already accelerated or moved out of the way..
This does not sound good. Maybe the software is kept busy with something it should not do.

post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tell me about it. If my mate had been following any closer last night he would have ended up in my boot. Neither of us was expecting it to do that.
I'm gonna try the other settings on way home now.. but I fear it will just brake even more to try and put even more distance between us..

the Ioniq is technically doing the right thing but no one drives like that in real life.. if someone cuts you up, you brake a little IF it looks like you'll collide but generally, you'd just take foot off accelerator and cruise until the other car gets up to speed... the ACC doesn't allow for that and I'm seriously disappointed now.

post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I do not recognize what you write. In my case often the ACC just slightly adapts the speed, as I would have done it myself. For example, if the traffic in front of me is smoothly decreasing speed until standing still, based on ACC my car is showing the same smoothness in decreasing speed and finally standing still.

post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKGDee View Post
... car doesn't immediately react and slam brakes on but does it a few minutes later when the car in front has already accelerated or moved out of the way...
I still cannot get this mystery out of my head. Are you sure the ACC's reaction was a response on that car from minutes ago and not on something else? Could it be, for example, a response on a slight bending of the road so that the radar detected cars in other lanes or objects not even on the road, or was an upward change of the road like a bridge detected?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page