Mazda Claims There Is No Demand for Electric Vehicles - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Mazda Claims There Is No Demand for Electric Vehicles

https://electrek.co/2017/03/07/mazda...tric-vehicles/

That's OK, Mazda. Your cars are poo anyway.

Mazda announced last year that they will be forced to launch an electric car in California to comply with the zero-emission mandate around 2019, but that’s the only reason they are doing it.
The Japanese automaker is one of the last few major automakers with no interest in electric vehicles and it now explained why: demand.

The company doesn’t see demand for electric vehicles. That’s what the president of Mazda France, Phillipe Geffroy, told CTV News last week:
“There is no real pressure coming from our customers for alternative fuel vehicles. Both in the US and Europe a minority of either wealthy customers, or companies willing to play the ecological image are buying EV,”

That’s quite a surprising statement today, but less so coming from someone at Mazda since again, the company has shown no to little interest in EVs.
It’s not clear on what they are basing their perception of low consumer interest in electric vehicles aside from the wealthy, but that has been a strong talking point from automakers and the oil industry for a long time now.

The*argument*is less convincing in 2017 when Tesla has over 400,000 reservations for the Model 3 and electric vehicles in a country like Norway represent over 30% of new passenger vehicles.
There’s no reason for customers not to want affordable long-range electric vehicles. In*Geffroy’s home country, Renault’s ZOE is having an increasing success and with an available starting price of ~$20,000 after incentive and before gas savings, it’s not only for*wealthy people.
In order to make EVs affordable, automakers need to mass produce them and this is where things have been more difficult.

Mazda has seen its production and sales increase significantly over the last few years to over 1.5 million vehicles in 2016. If it wants to keep the momentum, the Japanese automakers will have to do more than to*introduce vehicles only to comply with zero-emission mandates.

The company keeps betting on its*fuel-efficient SkyActiv technology to meet requirements and it’s easy to see why they would think that it’s a winning strategy since for the fourth year running, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) named Mazda the most fuel-efficient car maker in America.

But internal combustion engines are plateauing in term of efficiency and they will eventually have to go electric in order to keep improving. At least, Geffroy said that Mazda*keeps “working on electric, hybrid or hydrogen” powertrains, but the company doesn’t seem close to commercialization.
post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:39 AM

Garage
What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say.. no demand for them, but were creating one because of demand for them. ?? Or did I read that wrong.
I used to like Mazda till i read that.
The biggest reason for any car manufacturer to go EV - fossil fuels are not endless. And this is a fact even climate change deniers can agree with.
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:18 AM

Well Mazda are one third owned by a giant American corporation (Ford), so that attitude doesn't surprise me really.
TKGDee likes this.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds barking mad to me . To quote the great Roy Harper " Please leave this world as clean as when you came " ....That's my goal
TKGDee likes this.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 AM

Does Trump have shares in Mazda? That could explain a lot. Fact. Or alternative fact.

Either way what tripe. If demand wasn't there there would not be over 400,000 pre orders of Tesla 3.

Moronic decision backed up by little or no real basis in reality. Are we sure Trump isn't behind Mazda?

The past is gone, the future is yet to come. Enjoy the now, it's a gift. That's why it's called the present.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buyornot View Post
Does Trump have shares in Mazda?
When Trump filed last May, he had approx $1m worth of shares in Ford, so partly, yes!
2buyornot likes this.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:03 AM

zume zume
DaveAZ likes this.
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 AM

I wouldn't say Mazda cars are 'poo'...we have had three of them and mechanically they have been extremely reliable. Still have our 2004 mazda MPV with 170,000-ish miles. It is a good 'beater' car to drive in snow and to haul stuff ( 30 bags of mulch, etc.. ).

However, all three of them rusted like no other vehicles I have ever seen. I really hope they have gotten the rust issue under control with the new models! We will never even consider buying another one until they get the rust issue figured out!
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:43 AM

So same reason Honda declined to import the rather great Honda Fit/Jazz hybrid to the US, no market. While this make little sense for a car already under production, it is incredibly costly to produce a low volume electric and there are no profits. They are only doing for access to the large California market (and I think 9 other states that mirror CA laws). Think of how many Leafs Nissan sells versus their ICE models, it is a very small percentage (global figures are that EVs are 0.15 percent of the total market). As far as I know, not a single company (including Tesla) have amortized the cost of EVs and have turned a profit, and most admit openly that the cars are subsidized with lower than cost selling prices.

Of course, EV's will become profitable if they ever become mainstream, or can compete on price with ICE cars. Companies such as Hyundai are taking a long term view of things to their credit, but as you can see, their timing is incredibly bad in markets such as the US where fuel is not highly taxed (not even high enough to maintain roads or begin to compensate for pollution).
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmecologist View Post
I wouldn't say Mazda cars are 'poo'...we have had three of them and mechanically they have been extremely reliable.
This is probably true. I am basing that belief on a very old, long-held idea that Fords are poo, because they are IMO, and Mazdas have Ford blood in them. I've read that over the years Mazdas have slowly been weaning themselves off of Ford so today's Mazda is probably much less poo. The stigma is still there for me so I haven't even looked at them, ever.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page