Wifi inside the car - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to mxhans
Wifi inside the car

For using TomTom live traffic etc. you need to have wifi in the car for the car's navi to connect to the internet. You can do this by using your smartphone as a wifi hotspot. With my phone provider I can get a second (and third) data-only sim-card to use in mobile wifi routers at no extra cost. It's using the same 4G bundle as my phone does.
Now, i'm using the "HUAWEI E8377S-153 CARFI" gadget in my car to get connected and not drain my phone's battery if I forget to plug it in. It works fine and every passenger can use their tablet or laptop as well.

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
thinking of something similar myself, i was thinking of hiding it in armrest, as there is a power point in there i think and it would be out of sight

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:57 PM
Bob

Why not get one of these for your phone from Amazon?

"XCSOURCE Universal QI Wireless Charging Receiver Film for Smartphones".

It charges the car wirelessly using the built-in Qi Receiver. If you download the "Android or Apple Auto" from google play, it switches your phone "hotspot" automatically when you start the car.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:58 PM

Will it only work via wifi, or can it be paired using Bluetooth? Just seems peculiar having a link for handsfree/music, but won't do data back for accessing live data.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieDan View Post
Will it only work via wifi, or can it be paired using Bluetooth? Just seems peculiar having a link for handsfree/music, but won't do data back for accessing live data.
As far as I can see, Blue-tooth is used only for the phone to connect (calls and address list), but for internet access it needs wifi. Maybe it's different with a newer phone? Mine is android 4.4
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
WiFi is used for live services on the NAV system, Bluetooth is used for phone and music (unless you are connected via cable for android auto or apple carplay)

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhans View Post
Now, i'm using the "HUAWEI E8377S-153 CARFI" gadget in my car to get connected and not drain my phone's battery if I forget to plug it in. It works fine and every passenger can use their tablet or laptop as well.

does it turn off immediately or does it have an internal battery?

how quick does it give data to the NAV system?

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This gadget has no internal battery, so it turns off immediately with ignition-off. It does not turn on directly when power is back (ignition-on), you have to push the button for two seconds to turn on the device. Therfore, the location of the device as shown in the picture is ideal. From booting the device to active nav-connection is about 30-40 seconds, but I think it can strongly vary per location and or service provider. In this connection time testing, the device went from red to green (4G connected), red again (no connection) to green again and then the car nav gave the message "wifi connected", all within about 35 seconds.
On the road, I sometimes see the light going from green (4G) to orange (3G or lower) and back to green again.

Last edited by mxhans; 12-27-2016 at 01:08 PM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Kind of related but off topic a bit, but are the 12v sockets active when in ACc mode or just when ICE could be running? Just each car seems different these days.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Why not get one of these for your phone from Amazon?

"XCSOURCE Universal QI Wireless Charging Receiver Film for Smartphones".
My car does not have the wireless charging option. I would need the receiver and a wireless charger pad.

Last edited by mxhans; 12-27-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page