Emergency Braking range - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Emergency Braking range

We visited 2 dealers yesterday. One was an incredibly knowledgeable sales person, the other was trying to fake it and got caught. When we went to the 2nd dealership, our intent was just to get to see some of the other colors we did not see at the first. No need for a second drive. But when the dealer made claims I did not believe, I asked him to take me for a drive and demo. I had him drive as I was not about to push the bounds of the Lane Deviation Warning or the Automatic Emergency Braking, I'd let him do that, especially if the car did not perform as he said it would (and I did not believe it would. In both cases, he was wrong. That leads me to a question for the experienced owners -

Two salespersons at the second dealership were having a strong debate on the range in which the Automatic Emergency Braking operates. The one that took me for a test drive did the following test to demonstrate the Smart Cruise and AEB: On a 4-lane road with cruise set to about 65 MPH as we approached a red light with cars stopped he wanted to show me the cruise would automatically slow down comfortably to about 10 MPH then disengage and the AEB would kick in. The former happened, then at 10 MPH the cruise did disengage but the AEB did not kick in. We would have rear ended the car in front if he had not hit the brakes.

The other salesperson was asserting that there was an initial speed range the vehicle has to be within when the AEB sees the impending rear-end collisions threat for it to kick in. He thought it was between 50 and 15 MPH. If the car is going faster or slower than that, AEB will ignore it because it is outside the programmed parameters (don't know the rationale). Since the Smart Cruise had command down to about 10 MPH, when it disengaged, the car presumed the drive was aware of the impending threat and it was below parameters so it did not kick in AEB. Had we not been on Smart Cruise and doing something like 50 MPH then AEB would have kicked in a brought the car to a stop. Then the other said it would have slowed the car but then disengaged and let the driver stop it, but AEB never brings the car to a stop.

A big benefit of AEB seems to be in city or stop and go traffic when folks ahead may slam on the brakes quickly or a light turns red and folks stop quickly. If AEB won't react and stop the car in those situations it seems defeat the purpose.

Two questions:

1 - will the AEB bring the car to a complete stop when it engages, or will it slow you then you lightly bump the car in front?

2 - Anyone know the truth on this AEB speed range theory and the co-mingling of AEB and Smart Cruise systems?

Future Ioniq Buyer
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I suppose you are talking about the Hybrid? For the EV the Smart Cruise Control brings the car to a complete stop without any driver intervention. This seems not the case for the Hybrid.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Marina Blue
Previous car: 2013 Prius Plug In
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
from the manual

Quote:
The Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) system is designed to detect and monitor the vehicle ahead or detect a pedestrian (if equipped) in the roadway through radar signals and camera recognition to warn the driver that a collision is imminent, and if necessary, apply emergency braking.

Prerequisite for activation
The AEB gets ready to be activated, when the AEB is selected on the LCD display, and when the following prerequisites are satisfied.
- The ESC (Electronic Stability Control) is activated.
- To enable the system to detect pedestrians ahead, the vehicle driving speed must be between 8 km/h – 70 km/h (5 mph – 45 mph).
- To enable the system to detect a vehicle ahead, the vehicle driving speed must be between 8 km/h – 180 km/h (5 mph – 110 mph).
When traveling above 80 km/h (50 mph), the AEB system only initiates partial braking. This is to prevent unintended full braking to stop in the middle of the highway.

AEB warning message and system control
The AEB produces warning messages and warning alarms in accordance with the collision risk levels, such as abrupt stopping of the vehicle in front, insufficient braking distance, or pedestrian detection. Also, it controls the brakes in accordance with the collision risk levels.

Forward Warning (1st warning)
This initial warning message appears on the LCD display with a warning chime.
The driver can select the initial warning activation time in the User Settings in the LCD display. The options for the initial Forward Collision Warning include Early, Normal or Late initial warning time.

Collision Warning (2nd warning)
This warning message appears on the LCD display with a warning chime.
Additionally, some vehicle system intervention occurs by the engine management system to help decelerate the vehicle.
- If a vehicle is detected, your vehicle speed may decelerate moderately.
- If your vehicle is traveling less than 70 km/h (45 mph) and a pedestrian is detected within the Collision Warning (2nd warning) stage, your vehicle speed may decelerate moderately. When your vehicle drives faster than 70 km/h (45 mph) with a pedestrian in front, the AEB does not operate.

Emergency braking (3rd warning)
This warning message appears on the LCD display with a warning chime.
Additionally, some vehicle system intervention occurs by the engine management system to help decelerate the vehicle.
- If the detected vehicle in front is driving slower than 80 km/h (50 mph) your vehicle speed may decelerate sharply to avoid a collision. If the detected vehicle in front is driving faster than 80 km/h (50 mph), your vehicle speed may decelerate moderately.

Driving your vehicle
- If your vehicle drives slower than 70 km/h (45 mph) with a pedestrian in front, the driving speed may abruptly decrease. When your vehicle drives faster than 70 km/h (45 mph) with a pedestrian in front, the AEB does not operate.
Brake operation
• In an urgent situation, the braking system enters into the ready status for prompt reaction against the driver's depressing the brake pedal.
• The AEB provides additional braking power for optimum braking performance, when the driver depresses the brake pedal.
• The braking control is automatically deactivated, when the driver sharply depresses the accelerator pedal, or when the driver abruptly operates the steering wheel.
• The AEB brake control is automatically canceled, when risk factors disappear.

Limitations of the system
The Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) system is designed to monitor the vehicle ahead or a pedestrian in the roadway through radar signals and camera recognition to warn the driver that a collision is imminent, and if necessary, apply emergency braking.
In certain situations, the radar sensor or the camera may not be able to detect the vehicle or pedestrian ahead. In these cases, the AEB system may not operate normally. The driver must pay careful attention in the following situations where the AEB operation may be limited.

Detecting vehicles
The sensor may be limited when:
• The radar sensor or camera is blocked with a foreign object or debris
• Inclement weather such as heavy rain or snow obscures the field of view of the radar sensor or camera
• There is interference by electromagnetic waves
• There is severe irregular reflection from the radar sensor
• The radar/camera sensor recognition is limited
• The vehicle in front is too small to be detected by the camera recognition system (for example a motorcycle or a bicycle, etc.)
• The vehicle in front is an oversize vehicle or trailer that is too big to be detected by the camera recognition system (for example a tractor trailer, etc.)
• The driver's field of view is not well illuminated (either too dark or too much reflection or too much backlight that obscures the field of view)
• The vehicle in front does not have their rear lights properly turned ON
• The outside brightness changes suddenly, for example when entering or exiting a tunnel
• The vehicle in front is driving erratically
• The vehicle is on unpaved or uneven rough surfaces, or roads with sudden gradient changes
• The vehicle is moving under ground level or inside a building
• The vehicle is driven near areas containing metal substances such as a construction zone, railroad, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

BC1 - as always you are full of great info. Where did the content of this quote come from? Is this on Hyundai's website or in the user manual?

Future Ioniq Buyer
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

When your vehicle drives faster than 70 km/h (45 mph) with a pedestrian in front, the AEB does not operate.
Who the **** would you be following

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsarpilot View Post
BC1 - as always you are full of great info. Where did the content of this quote come from? Is this on Hyundai's website or in the user manual?
the electronic version of the user manual

and I can confirm it works as it says, had a few nice people test it for me
fishyweb likes this.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunga68 View Post
When your vehicle drives faster than 70 km/h (45 mph) with a pedestrian in front, the AEB does not operate.
Think even Usain bolt's top speed is only 28 mph.

Suspect that what they mean is that the car will not stop if a pedestrian steps or runs across the road if you are travelling above 45mph.

My emergency braking activated yesterday at approx 20 odd miles per hour .

Was driving to parking at work (parking is at an elevated area with common entrance and exit which has space for only one car at a time )

I was going up to to park the car when an @@&@
Who was leaving the parking area came downhill at probably 30 odd miles per hour(around a corner )

The automatic braking probably activated a fraction of a second before me. To be honest I think I would have have been able to brake in time even if the AEB hadn't activated but I feel much more safer knowing that it works. :-)

Last edited by ajiom; 06-18-2017 at 03:25 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunga68 View Post
that's faster than usain bolt

but I think it means if you are traveling at more than 45mph and a pedestrian walks out in from on you then you are on your own trying to avoid them

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
that's faster than usain bolt

but I think it means if you are traveling at more than 45mph and a pedestrian walks out in from on you then you are on your own trying to avoid them
Yep , I get that's what they meant and it probably did in Korean ... just found it funny ...just my odd Welsh humour ,I suppose
ajiom likes this.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Garage
Very interesting BC. wish I would have had this list when trying to figure out why mine was acting strange.. also Jan's! Also kindda scary that I didn't know some of these things as I use ACC all the time, which I assume follows the same detection rules, and I've not considered motorcycles or tractors as anything different and assumed it would detect them fine. Gonna be more careful now :/

Although I've already been caught out a few times trusting it too much. Once when it was chucking it down with low visibility on the motorway going quite quickly and a second time when traffic ahead had come to a complete stop, I waited for it to detect and reduce speed for me and ended up having to hard break instead >.< Should have probably read up on what it's capable of and not capable of first. 😑

When life gives you lemons... squeeze them into that f*ckers eyes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page