What MPG do you get? - Hyundai Ioniq Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

What MPG do you get?

Over my first 100 miles of mixed driving, I have achieved 45 MPG. After a bit of research, i think i may be driving it incorrectly and should be doing "pulse and go" around town. will try it out tomorrow. I'm hoping my MPG isnt the worst...
post #2 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
what sort of runs have you been doing round town?

I wouldn't worry about pulse and glide yet, just learn a light right foot, keep it out of sport mode for a while,

I am heading for the 80mpg

see below I filled up as I left the office in Birmingham 4:30pm tonight down the M5, M6, M1, M25 and M2 home,

77mpg on the 178 mile run
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good mileage small.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	1281   Click image for larger version

Name:	good trip meter small.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	1289  
trapias likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 AM

Garage
Yes, I wouldn't worry about it too much - just try to be conservative on the accelerator. If you're braking a lot, then you're going too fast :-)

I am only on my second tank, currently, so nowhere near what bluecar1 does, and my current MPG for the tank is about 55mpg, hindered by the weather, short journeys (school runs mainly), etc. so I am expecting it to improve as I get used to the car.
My Gen2 Prius used to only average 52-53mpg, so the Ioniq already does better than what my Prius ever achieved.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Premium
Previously: 2004 Prius T4

post #4 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
this is the thing, so long as you are getting better mpg than your previous car why worry

the journeys I do suit the Ioniq as most are 60 miles+, the killer to fuel economy with any car with an ICE is short runs where you don't have time for the engine to warm up properly and run efficiently for more time than it took to warm up

the other is not driving it smoothly, the key is to look ahead and anticipate where the traffic will slow down and ease off / coast rather than brake

if you see a dip in the road, ease off to get the car into EV then accelerate gently to build speed (within reason) going into the dip to use the momentum of the car to take you up the hill coming out of the dip, but also on the hill let some of the extra speed drop off by giving it not quite enough gas to keep the speed, these are the sort of things where you are better than smart cruise which tries to use regen braking going down hill and more gas going up hill to keep exact same speed all the way

I tend to use the brakes very little, and rarely have more the 4 green bars on the left hand display, but I don't hold up traffic either

you will get to know your car and if you want to how to get the best economy out of it for the journeys you do

I just want to beat the official 83.1mpg on the run home from the office just once

post #5 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:38 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to mxhans
It all depends on how, how long and where you drive at what weather conditions. At my daily commute (2x20km) with temps around zero Celsius, it's difficult to keep it above 50mpg. When I drive a longer distance (weekends) it easily goes up again.
So, when driving short distances, the ICE has to run relatively more in order to warm up. That's where the mileage drops rapidly.
As bleucar1 says, get to know your car, be relaxed and your fuel economy will improve.

Let the summer begin please, so we can see what real fuel-consumption this car is capable of.
post #6 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 AM

Hi All. So is the main thing to keep it down to one or two green bars if possible. Also what is the ICE. Going to Bavria in it in April so see how well it goes on that trip
post #7 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
ICE = internal combustion engine AKA petrol engine

EV = electric vehicle

EV mode = hybrid car running on electric motor

to many abbreviation, especially if you are new to hybrids / EV's

post #8 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks Bluecar1. Yeh it gets my head spinning doesn't take much mind
post #9 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Garage
I'm getting about 54MPG from my hybrid at the moment - I travel from Reading to Newbury every day via the M4. What surprised me was that the MPG going into work was less than when returning later in the day. I would have thought they'd have been the same given the relatively even nature of the terrain overall. I'm hoping to get to 60MPG at which point I'll be delighted!

------------------------
Roy
------------------------
post #10 of 211 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have a regular commute on the M25 / M1, or M25 / M40 kent to Birmingham and that really suits the ioniq, but I do notice I get lower mpg on the flatter M40 compared to the M1

its weird

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page